Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/29/2012 1:54am

Style: Kickboxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

I have few questions

I don't have any technical knowlege about martial art, I am totally new to this field. I have two questions:

1. Is wing chun really a dead style? I read somewhere that it is Shaolin kung fu style and Bruce lee also practiced this art. (I read all threads regarding chunners on this forum) Is it completely useless?

2. For a beginner like me what is the best style to learn which is easy and simple yet effective? Which I can learn in few months and defend myself.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/29/2012 2:03am

Style: Boxing, Judo, Kenpo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by sanoshin View Post
    1. Is wing chun really a dead style? I read somewhere that it is Shaolin kung fu style and Bruce lee also practiced this art. (I read all threads regarding chunners on this forum) Is it completely useless?
    The problem isn't necessarily Wing Chun as a style. Lee did practice it, but did cross train due to its limitations.

The problem has to do more with how wing chun is taught. In many cases, it is taught without "Aliveness". A search on this site for that term should bring up Matt Thornton's insightful videos on the subject. This will hopefully lend some insight into what you should look for from a martial arts school.

2. For a beginner like me what is the best style to learn which is easy and simple yet effective? Which I can learn in few months and defend myself.
    Honestly? Learn to run. Concentrate on being observant. If you're in a bad area, move to a better neighborhood. In a few months these would be the best options.

Learning takes time, and learning to take a technique and apply it in a situation where the **** hits the fan takes even more time. Be patient.

My advice - find schools around you that teach boxing, kickboxing, BJJ, SAMBO, Judo, Muay Thai, or MMA and take trial lessons - see what fits you best. You need to enjoy the art, if you really want to become proficient at it.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/29/2012 2:09am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thank you John Kenner. By the way I already doing running :) I also go to the gym regularly. There is no martial art school near me that is the main problem. There is no way except to learn from DVD's and videos.

Posted On:
    4/29/2012 2:20am

Style: FMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thank you John Kenner. By the way I already doing running :) I also go to the gym regularly. There is no martial art school near me that is the main problem. There is no way except to learn from DVD's and videos.
    No gym? Where do you live? A video can help you if you already have some training as a quick reference. But if you've never trained a video won't do much for you, find another hobby.

Why do you want to train martial arts? Fitness? Than do weights. Self defense? Get a gun. Philosophy? Then you can read a book. Many here will agree that martial arts aren't all that necessary in this day and age, for me it's my golf. Some boring ass guys my age play golf I train FMA other than that I don't fool myself into believing it's something I need.

If the only instruction you ever get is from a video don't expect to be taken seriously by those who've trained for real. You need an instructor to watch you and correct mistakes, there is no substitute for experience. Find a gym or tell us the general area you're in. Most likely someone here can give you some suggestions.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/29/2012 2:21am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    There is no way except to learn from DVD's and videos.
    Oh. That is unfortunate. I would stick with the running and lifting.

Without proper instructors and sparring partners, it'll be near impossible to make good progress in an art. I have bought instructional DVDs before, but only as an appendix to instruction I'm already getting (I bought some on BJJ basics, so I could go over the movements again after class).

In this day an age, its hard to believe that there is somewhere that there isn't training available, so I hope that a larger search could provide you with a school.

Best of luck.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/29/2012 2:42am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Jspeedy, there is a gym near my home but there is no martial art school.

John, to learn any martial art I will have to move 400 km away from my place. I live near world famous Ellora caves in a small town and there is no trainer available in that area. I will have to move in Bombay (Mumbai) which is not possible right now.

Around my home there are farms, the place is insecure so I need to learn some self defense. Currently I'm lifting weights and doing running.
    Last edited by sanoshin; 4/29/2012 2:43am at . Reason: spell

Posted On:
    4/29/2012 6:04am

Style: Boxing,Kickboxing K1

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    find friends, and wrestle with them, you will probably have no idea what you are doing, but after enough play fighting you are going to improve. That is how MA developed in the first place. You can improve your reflexes, overall strength and agility that way .

Extraordinarily Ordinary

Posted On:
    4/29/2012 6:51am

supporting member
     Style: TKD, CMA & American Kenpo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnKenner View Post
    The problem has to do more with how wing chun is taught.
    A lot of the problem with how wing chun is taught is the teachers themselves. So many of these guys have been brain-washed into believing that wing chun is the be all, end all 'complete' martial art.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/29/2012 9:59am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    @erezb: that is what currently I'm doing. I'm practicing with my nephew. I have got some Krav Maga, Kick boxing and systema DVDs. I also have Bass Rutten and Moni Moni Aizik's DVDs. I'll keep practicing until I find some good instructor. It is better to do something then to do nothing. Today I brought a punching bag. At least it will help me for physical fitness.

@slamdunc: Yes, I read that there is no ground fight in Wing Chun and they don't spar with partner. Wooden dumy is not alive partner. If one can practice with partner then I think it is good in confined spaces.
    Last edited by sanoshin; 4/29/2012 10:39am at . Reason: spell

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/29/2012 1:24pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Around my home there are farms, the place is insecure so I need to learn some self defense. Currently I'm lifting weights and doing running.
    I would go with Dog-Fu and Gun-Fu in that order.

The dog will be way better at sensing danger than you ever will be and will die to protect you. I own guns, but my dog is what makes me feel safe at night.

As far as self defense via DVD: My advice is don't do it, but if you're set on doing it:

Forget the krav maga stuff. Even though its simple, its still way too technical without an instructor. Finally, without hard sparring, its kind of worthless. And there is no way in hell I can advocate hard sparring without a coach. I get queasy just thinking about it.

My advice, use the bas tapes to get into striking shape. They're a good workout on the heavy bag (I use them myself).

Get yourself the Gracie Combative DVDs, or the equivalent online subscription (or both, they offer a package deal). Along with that get some mats. It'll take a year or more to work through the DVDs, they're well done - and if you get the online subscription, you can post questions back to the instructors.

Good luck.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast