Page 1 of 3 1 23 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/25/2012 8:58pm

Style: Muay Thai and BJJ(noob)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Bodyweight more "effective" than Weight lifting?

I'm probably going to be critiscized and in trouble for asking this but here it goes....
    So today I was asking my MT coach about his workout routines and the type of exercises he did. He then told me how he did pretty much all Bodyweight exercises, explosive exercises( is that the correct name?), etc...
    Then he proceeded to tell me how weight lifting for a fighter was rather impractical. How it wears and tears your joints and in the long run damages them. Or how the body you produce isn't really a "fighters body" it just looks good. Then he went on about how boxers never really lifted much weights and just did a lot of body weight stuff.
    So my question is was what he said about weight lifting correct and that I should just work with mostly Bodyweight and explosive/power stuff? Or can I just continue lifting weights?
    Oh another thing I don't know if this is something I should mention but when I workout I generally use lightweights and do high reps not much heavy lifting. Although I do lift heavy in order to increase strength, like 3 times a month?
    Sorry if i'm **** posting or anything like that and thanks for reading this.

Posted On:
    4/25/2012 9:13pm

Style: FMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    For the most part your MT guy is incorrect. From what i've read (Pavel, RIppertoe,Stronglifts) there are different types of training. There's endurance (high reps) hypertrophy (med reps) and strength (low reps) training all can be done with weights or bodyweight. The last sentence is just a rough out line to illustrate the differences in rep ranges i'm sure someone with more knowledge can come in here all snarky and explain how all rep ranges develop strength or whatever.

Before I knew much about lifting (I'm still a novice) I stuck to light weights and high reps, I find most weak guys who know little take the same route. Most people just pick up the Men's Health isolation exercise bodybuilding routines. I would think that for an amateur or hobbyist fighter bodyweight routines would be better than split workouts and isolation exercises but I'm sure isolation exercises have their place with an experienced trainer.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/25/2012 9:31pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Alright then i'll continue with my routine but i'll be sure to place more emphasis on other aspects like the hypertrophy and Strength training. I'm new to this as well so i'm rather close to being clueless on stuff like this....thanks for the info though i'll reseach more into it.
    Eitherway now I know that it doesn't really matter if it's bodyweight or weights.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/26/2012 1:31am

Style: Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Explosive strength
    Maximum Strength
    Core Strength
    Endurance Strength

When I think of strength those 4 things come to mind.

Explosive strength I associate with movement like Box jumps, Burpees, Clap push ups, Cleans,
    Maximum strenghth I associate with the basic compound lifts like Deadlift, Squat, Military ress and bench press, performed for a low rep count.
    Core Strength I associate with movements such as bicycle crunches, leg raises, isometric plank positions, walkouts,
    Endurance strength I associate with weighted movements performed for a high rep count.

A fighters routine should also include speed, agility and balance drills.

Isolation exercises for forearms/neck are also a good addition.
    Last edited by ZenMMA; 4/26/2012 1:41am at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/26/2012 5:24am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by ZenMMA View Post
    Explosive strength
    Maximum Strength
    Core Strength
    Endurance Strength

Explosive strength I associate with movement like Box jumps, Burpees, Clap push ups, Cleans,
    Maximum strenghth I associate with the basic compound lifts like Deadlift, Squat, Military ress and bench press, performed for a low rep count.
    Core Strength I associate with movements such as bicycle crunches, leg raises, isometric plank positions, walkouts,
    Endurance strength I associate with weighted movements performed for a high rep count.

Oh alright that makes sense and just out of curiosity how often do you switch off between the different workouts? A month? A week? I'll have to start trying that.
    Thanks for that info though that definitely helps a lot!

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/26/2012 6:02am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Oh and now that you mention it what are some speed, agility , and balance drills?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/26/2012 6:19am

Style: Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Ramonesfreak566 View Post
    Oh alright that makes sense and just out of curiosity how often do you switch off between the different workouts? A month? A week? I'll have to start trying that.
    I like incorporating all into one intense workout.

For example,

You would neeed a BB for the Deadlifts and either a KB or BB for Upright rows.

Give yourself 20 minutes to complete this circuit as many times as possible, aim to keep it moving with no breaks but keep the form strict on all.
    Do this workout for one week and see if you can increase the number of rounds you can perform in the 20 minute period.

One Round-
    3 Deadlifts (80% 1RM)
    6 Squat Jumps
    9 Bicycle Crunches
    12 Upright rows (50% 1RM)

The deadlifts and the squat jumps will be good for the legs and back, the Uprights will be good for the shoulders and traps and the bicycle crunches good for your core.

For Speed drills I would suggest Sprint Variations and for balance you can use any of the suggested movements here http://www.streetdirectory.com/trave...exercises.html

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/26/2012 6:38am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by ZenMMA View Post
    Explosive strength
    Maximum Strength
    Core Strength
    Endurance Strength

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/26/2012 10:54am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thanks I'll give that workout a shot. It sounds pretty intense so I'll be looking forward to it. Once again thanks for the help and info!

All Out of Bubblegum

Posted On:
    4/26/2012 11:48am

supporting memberforum leader
     Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Your coach is old school. But he's wrong. In a way. He's speaking from experience with a specific type of weightlifting that eats a lot of time for negligible performance vs more fight training. It's more a time economy and overtrainng issue.

Good resistance training is good for fighters, and you don't have to choose. Use a program with opposed compound lifts, like starting strength, stronglifts, or reg park's programs and you can hit 99% of muscle groups in 90 minutes a week. Plenty of time left for classes.
    There's no choice but to confront you, to engage you, to erase you. I've gone to great lengths to expand my threshold of pain. I will use my mistakes against you. There's no other choice.
Page 1 of 3 1 23 LastLast