Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/23/2012 5:15am

Style: Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Breathing - In Detail

Can I ask peoples opinions on breathing, (yes, I know if we didnt do it then we would die) But I am talking about application in combat sports.
    In CMA breathing is considered a science and lots of time will be spent perfecting it, I haven't seen the same level of attention given to it in MMA or other western combat sports.

A quick google search came up with the following -

How to Breathe With Your Nose

Breathe in with your nose; Breathe out with your nose
    Inhaling will seem difficult at first because you will feel like you’re sucking air through a tiny coffee straw. This is because the breathing muscles in your nose and body are not yet developed. With regular practice during off-season training, these breathing muscles will develop.
    Exhaling through your nose should be quite easy. Simply breathe out quickly with your nose instead of exhaling through your mouth.

How Nose-Breathing Helps in Sports

During sports performance, if you want to move fast, you must breathe fast. Exhaling air through the nose is much faster and sharper then through the mouth – which means you can move faster if you exhale through the nose.
    Breathing through your nose slows down the number of times you breathe in a period. I’ve read some studies that say breathing through the mouth means 60-70 cycles per minute whereas breathing through the nose is about 40-50 cycles per minute. A slower breathing cycle means that you use less energy for breathing and also that you’re probably absorbing the oxygen better since it is a deeper breath.
    Your body will be less tired when you breathe through the nose.
    Thoughts?

Gnarly King of Half-Guard

Posted On:
    3/23/2012 5:59am

Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by ZenMMA View Post
    Thoughts?
    This
    I’ve read some studies that say breathing through the mouth means 60-70 cycles per minute whereas breathing through the nose is about 40-50 cycles per minute. A slower breathing cycle means that you use less energy for breathing and also that you’re probably absorbing the oxygen better since it is a deeper breath.
    Your body will be less tired when you breathe through the nose.
    is completely backwards. Breathing through your nose takes in less oxygen, so you'll need to stop doing it when you're tired and need a lot. Breathing in big gulps through your mouth is a sign of tiredness, not the cause.

Administrator

Posted On:
    3/23/2012 6:17am

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    In CMA breathing is considered a science and lots of time will be spent perfecting it,
    No. It is considered an exercise just like anything else.

Posted On:
    3/23/2012 9:44am

Join us... or die
     Style: stick,Taiji, mountainbike

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Air causes cancer. So breathing should be prevented if at all possible.

In combat sports, it is good to breath through the nose because if you are breathing through the mouth, the mouth is open. This can cause issues such as biting your toungue off when you get hit in the jaw. Also better chance of getting knocked out due to the concussion of the loose jaw connecting to the skull on impact.
    Combatives training log.

Gezere: paraphrase from Bas Rutten, Never escalate the level of violence in fight you are losing. :D

Drum thread

Pavel Tsatsouline: kettlebell workouts give you “cardio without the dishonour of aerobics”.

Posted On:
    3/23/2012 11:32am

Join us... or die
     Style: Hung Gar, Choy Lay Fut

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I always liked this section of Choke.

...and feel compelled to post it when i read stuff like:

I haven't seen the same level of attention given to it in MMA or other western combat sports.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/12/2012 5:34am

Style: Jujitsu and BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by ChenPengFi View Post
    I always liked this section of Choke.

...and feel compelled to post it when i read stuff like:
    Anyone care to explain that breathing thing he does at about 1.56? I saw something like it in the recent Hulk film... maybe the Gracie is a Hulk? Maybe they all are? That would explain a lot...

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/12/2012 10:01am

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I have been struggling with this question alot lately. I never feel like I can get enough air breathing in my nose but half the people I roll with feel they need to insist I do.
    This page

www.naturallyengineered.com/blog/nose/-or-mouth-breathing-while--running-exercising/

suggests I might me right. It's the first one than came up when I googled it. Yet Diesel's points are verry valid.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/12/2012 10:02am

Style: Jujitsu and BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Kharon View Post
    I have been struggling with this question alot lately. I never feel like I can get enough air breathing in my nose but half the people I roll with feel they need to insist I do.
    This page

www.naturallyengineered.com/blog/nose/-or-mouth-breathing-while--running-exercising/

suggests I might me right. It's the first one than came up when I googled it. Yet Diesel's points are verry valid.
    Link didn't work for me :) (Got 404 error)

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/12/2012 10:38am

Style: Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    http://naturallyengineered.com/blog/...ng-exercising/

Thats it ^^^

The article is interesting, although the comments at the bottom more so.

Posted On:
    4/12/2012 2:03pm

Style: Judo & BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by tmorterlaing View Post
    Anyone care to explain that breathing thing he does at about 1.56? I saw something like it in the recent Hulk film... maybe the Gracie is a Hulk? Maybe they all are? That would explain a lot...
    It's a Yoga thing. And that was Rickson Gracie in the Hulk.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast