230725 Bullies, 4107 online  
  • Register
Our Sponsors:

Results 1 to 10 of 12
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image
  1. Cascadia K9 is offline

    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Bend OR
    Posts
    4

    Posted On:
    3/30/2012 10:01am

    Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Dog Fu

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

    No MMA for you-Thailand

    March 29th 2012
    Thailand has banned MMA.

    The Thai sports ministry ruled this week that MMA is “too brutal” and it is henceforth prohibited to stage MMA events in the South-East Asian country.

    Ministers said that mixed martial arts is “causing erosion” to the sport of Muay Thai and “damaging the image” of Thailand’s native martial art.

    However, there are those in the fledgling Thai MMA industry who think that the government may have been pressured or swayed by the Muay Thai industry.

    Muay Thai is huge business in Thailand. It fills arenas all over the country, generates a lot of tourist traffic, airs on television a lot and provides employment for a large swathe of young men who would be otherwise unengaged.

    MMA is very new to Thailand but it had the potential to steer would-be star Thai boxers into the cage instead of into the Muay Thai ring. While it has yet to produce any serious MMA contenders, its rich combat sports pedigree meant it was probably only a matter of time.

    Former Thai boxers such as Rambaa Somdet and Yodsanan Sityodtong have transitioned to MMA with various levels of success, but the real money would come from someone being able to emulate the kind of international success that Buakaw Por. Pramuk managed when he transitioned to K-1.

    None of that will have been seen as beneficial to the Muay Thai industry, which is notoriously conservative, and so MMA has been dealt a crippling blow before being able to get off the ground properly. The ban does not affect MMA training, which - ironically - numerous camps are beginning to offer.

    Article was written by
    Fighters Only Staff
  2. JohnnyCache is offline
    JohnnyCache's Avatar

    All Out of Bubblegum

    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    10,472

    Posted On:
    3/30/2012 10:42am

    supporting memberforum leader
     Style: MMA

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Cascadia K9 View Post
    March 29th 2012
    Thailand has banned MMA.

    The Thai sports ministry ruled this week that MMA is “too brutal” and it is henceforth prohibited to stage MMA events in the South-East Asian country.

    Ministers said that mixed martial arts is “causing erosion” to the sport of Muay Thai and “damaging the image” of Thailand’s native martial art.

    However, there are those in the fledgling Thai MMA industry who think that the government may have been pressured or swayed by the Muay Thai industry.

    Muay Thai is huge business in Thailand. It fills arenas all over the country, generates a lot of tourist traffic, airs on television a lot and provides employment for a large swathe of young men who would be otherwise unengaged.

    MMA is very new to Thailand but it had the potential to steer would-be star Thai boxers into the cage instead of into the Muay Thai ring. While it has yet to produce any serious MMA contenders, its rich combat sports pedigree meant it was probably only a matter of time.

    Former Thai boxers such as Rambaa Somdet and Yodsanan Sityodtong have transitioned to MMA with various levels of success, but the real money would come from someone being able to emulate the kind of international success that Buakaw Por. Pramuk managed when he transitioned to K-1.

    None of that will have been seen as beneficial to the Muay Thai industry, which is notoriously conservative, and so MMA has been dealt a crippling blow before being able to get off the ground properly. The ban does not affect MMA training, which - ironically - numerous camps are beginning to offer.

    Article was written by
    Fighters Only Staff
    Interesting ...never would have thought Thailand would be corrupt like that...

    Do you have a link to the full article?
    There's no choice but to confront you, to engage you, to erase you. I've gone to great lengths to expand my threshold of pain. I will use my mistakes against you. There's no other choice.
  3. WoodyCorpus is offline

    Registered Member

    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Zaventem, Belgium
    Posts
    166

    Posted On:
    3/30/2012 11:29am


     Style: American Kenpo, Judo

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Predictable protectionist move, if you ask me. One that will be overruled eventually.
    The brutality argument made snicker, though, as MT matches aren't exactly knitting contests.
  4. Heydawg is offline

    Registered Member

    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Toronto, ON
    Posts
    23

    Posted On:
    4/09/2012 8:13am


     Style: MMA/Kickboxing

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    well.. if MMA is banned in thailand then people who live there can still cross-train in multiple arts and join the big-league MMA events :P

    -if not well.. there`s always the underground league.. :P
  5. malsah is offline

    Registered Member

    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Sheffield, england
    Posts
    24

    Posted On:
    4/09/2012 9:47am


     Style: FS Karate, Boxing, MT,MMA

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Too brutal my arse! More like 'we don't want people leaving Muay Thai for MMA!'
  6. Wing Chun Bear is offline

    Registered Member

    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    11

    Posted On:
    4/11/2012 10:09am


     Style: Wing Chun

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If I'm not mistaken Muay Thai & boxing have some kinda weight limitation to fights. If overweight you are disqualified. Correct me if im wrong in MMA weights are less restricted. So it allows the fighters more chances to get into the ring to show themselves.

    At the end of the day, more chances for the fighters and more money to be made for ticket sales.
  7. Chili Pepper is online now
    Chili Pepper's Avatar

    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    2,234

    Posted On:
    4/11/2012 11:42am


     Style: Siling Labuyo Arnis

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Wing Chun Bear View Post
    If I'm not mistaken Muay Thai & boxing have some kinda weight limitation to fights. If overweight you are disqualified. Correct me if im wrong in MMA weights are less restricted.
    Yes, you're mistaken. MMA has weight limits as well.
  8. Chili Pepper is online now
    Chili Pepper's Avatar

    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    2,234

    Posted On:
    4/11/2012 11:45am


     Style: Siling Labuyo Arnis

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyCache View Post
    Interesting ...never would have thought Thailand would be corrupt like that...
    I remember reading an interview with Don "The Dragon" Wilson about his one fight in Thailand, and he said that his dressing room had garbage bags filled with money (from the betting) accompanied by armed guards.
  9. ZenMMA is offline

    Registered Member

    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    205

    Posted On:
    4/12/2012 3:00am


     Style: Muay Thai

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    This is interesting, I flew to Phuket yesterday to Train with these guys http://www.phukettopteam.com/
    Although there was a tsunami alert so the plane flew me straight back to Bangkok.
    Anyway, I'll ask around when I get there and see if this is enforced, although I very much doubt it is.
    In Thailand anything goes if you have enough money to help make a policeman look the other way, especially in Phuket where a lot of the Martial arts world seem to congregate.

    You would not believe the number of tourist deaths in that place, the whole place is run by somevery shady people.

    Put it this way, if there is money to be made in MMA, you will see it in Thailand, legal or not.
  10. TheMightyMcClaw is offline
    TheMightyMcClaw's Avatar

    MADE OF STEEL!

    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Ann Arbor, MI
    Posts
    3,442

    Posted On:
    4/12/2012 3:28am

    supporting member
     Style: MMA

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I bet you anything this will lead to a large number of Thai fighters going over the board to fight MMA in neighboring countries once they start having an MMA scene.
    The fool thinks himself immortal,
    If he hold back from battle;
    But old age will grant him no truce,
    Even if spears spare him.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Powered by vBulletin™© contact@vbulletin.com vBulletin Solutions, Inc. 2011 All rights reserved.