Our Sponsors:

Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/03/2012 3:44am

Style: Western Boxing, Tai Chi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Meet Jorge Linares. He lost it all in the ring.

Jorge Linares seemed to have everything. He had a great promotional deal, a great trainer, and natural skills.

Then, last October, he lost his title shot to Antonio DeMarco in what should have been a gimme. The fight, while good, was a stoppage on cuts.

While Linares did lose, he was winning on points until the stoppage. The loss was understandable. Cuts could happen to anyone -- right?

Well, this weekend, he was stopped again on cuts. This one was in the second round. It happened against a journeyman in what was supposed to be a stay busy fight before the rematch with DeMarco.

The fight itself -- all two rounds of it -- is good stuff. But it's also a reminder that all it takes is one fight to lose everywhere.

I have emotions.

Posted On:
    4/03/2012 12:42pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    He lost it all in the ring.
    A bit melodramatic, no? He certainly hasn't lost it all. That is what I would say of Gerard McClellan and the likes.

As for the fight, congrats to the journeyman. That was a legitimate knockdown, regardless of cuts. I had him winning so far.

(tab) Forum > Forum Actions > General Settings > in Thread Display Options > Number of Posts to Show Per Page: 40

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/03/2012 9:54pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Tranquil Suit View Post
    A bit melodramatic, no? He certainly hasn't lost it all. That is what I would say of Gerard McClellan and the likes.

As for the fight, congrats to the journeyman. That was a legitimate knockdown, regardless of cuts. I had him winning so far.
    Gerald McLellan's a different story. He lost his health — which I agree is much more serious.

As far as Linares is concerned, though, his "everything" has more to do with potential. Golden Boy was grooming him to be the next Oscar de la Hoya. Believe me, they put a whole lot of money behind him — and this weekend, it all went away in a puff of smoke.

Think about this more as watching a Fortune 500 company go bust.
    Last edited by atomicpoet; 4/03/2012 9:58pm at .

Posted On:
    4/04/2012 1:05am

supporting member
     Style: Taijiquan/Shuai-Chiao/BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by atomicpoet View Post
    Jorge Linares seemed to have everything. He had a great promotional deal, a great trainer, and natural skills.
    And too-early title fights (filling vacant titles no less), an inflated fight record thanks to fighting mostly underweight ham and eggers who just got paid to stand there and get punched, and no ability to adapt to his opponents when they actually decide to show up for a boxing match. **** that kid.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/04/2012 1:37am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Rivington View Post
    And too-early title fights (filling vacant titles no less), an inflated fight record thanks to fighting mostly underweight ham and eggers who just got paid to stand there and get punched, and no ability to adapt to his opponents when they actually decide to show up for a boxing match. **** that kid.
    In fairness, Linares has been a professional for 10 years. If he's not going to step up now, when would he ever step up?

Other than that, I agree with you. **** him.

All Out of Bubblegum

Posted On:
    4/04/2012 8:55am

supporting memberforum leader
     Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by atomicpoet View Post
    Gerald McLellan's a different story. He lost his health — which I agree is much more serious.

As far as Linares is concerned, though, his "everything" has more to do with potential. Golden Boy was grooming him to be the next Oscar de la Hoya. Believe me, they put a whole lot of money behind him — and this weekend, it all went away in a puff of smoke.

Think about this more as watching a Fortune 500 company go bust.
    Boxing's system has crossed the line into over-grooming if you ask me. We're now seeing guys bog down when thwy have to really take a win. It's also criminal that a loss is so damning ... even dana white knows **** happens
    There's no choice but to confront you, to engage you, to erase you. I've gone to great lengths to expand my threshold of pain. I will use my mistakes against you. There's no other choice.

Posted On:
    4/04/2012 10:13am

Style: bjj/judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Jimmy Garcia lost it all in the ring(and by extension, so did Gabriel Ruelas). This guy? Not so much

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/09/2012 5:12pm

Style: Boxing, JKD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Couple things. First off, if you've seen Linares fight you know he's got great skills/movement/coordination/timing etc. Second, he got stopped on cuts but considering how he was getting battered it's unfair that his opponent doesn't get his chance at a legit KO. Third, he did beat some good fighters (Larios, Chavez, Juarez) so all of this "**** 'em" stuff seems like BS fighter bashing. It seems to apply to someone like Zab Judah but not Jorge Linares.