All Out of Bubblegum

Posted On:
    3/27/2012 1:37pm

supporting memberforum leader
     Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Open carry and appropriateness

My friend owns a game store. (Magic, warhammer, etc) He has a partner that likes to carry, while he remains a gun agnostic.

His opinion is game theory based: he views the cost of a gun as approximately equal to the loss of the register once a decade, and the cost of a shooting to business and peace of mind as equal or greater than a robbery.

His partner has the view that you shoot ever assailant, as a lesson to others.

The rejoinder to that is robbery is low frequency so even violent retaliation doesn't change it.

This is a person who is not particular gun phobic - he's been shooting for fun, supports the second amendment generally, just thinks it's poor business for him.

His partner is also a lousy carrier - he forgets where he's left his loaded guns, fucks with explosives he's not licensed for, invites his birther militia to hang out during business hours, that kind of bullshit.

So i find myself reluctantly admitting its an interesting situational exception to my normal attitudes.

Has another gun owner ever made you cringe like this? Or a gun agnostic person got you reluctantly nodding along?
    There's no choice but to confront you, to engage you, to erase you. I've gone to great lengths to expand my threshold of pain. I will use my mistakes against you. There's no other choice.

His heart was visible, and the dismal sack that maketh excrement of what is eaten.

Posted On:
    3/27/2012 2:47pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    There are definitely gun owners who make me cringe. I carry everywhere I can. But I know how to carry responsibly. When I know someone is competent, I don't even blink. But there are others......

My brother-in-law (wife's sister's husband) is a fucking retard. I wouldn't trust him with a sharp pencil, much less a loaded firearm. He recently decided he wanted a gun and bought a pistol with zero training. That's cool, right? So I offered to spend some time shooting with him. Oh, yeah, yeah, sure.....but then nothing. As far as I know, he hasn't gotten any guidance from anyone who knows anything. If he came around my family and I knew he was carrying I'd tell him to get in his car and go home.

He's probably the type that would use the Plaxico Burress carry method.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/27/2012 4:06pm

Style: Boxing, Judo, Kenpo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I am a proponent of concealed and open carry laws.

That being said, I've had a few friends make me cringe.

On the open carry front, I have a few friends that open carry, and then carry around camcorders *hoping* to get hassled by the police. Then they refuse to identify themselves, or give id, and keep on asking "Am I being detained." I get it, open carry is your right, but these guys *obviously* spoiling for a fight about it.

On the concealed carry front, I had a buddy who was ridiculously irresponsible. We'd go out drinking, and all of us would leave our pieces in the trunk of our car. No problem, perfectly legal.

Until my buddy, the raging asshole he was, had too much to drink, decided that he "needed" his gun to protect himself because some asshole was giving him the eye, and would take it upon himself to arm himself. Awesome. So, three times I ended up taking his gun away from him (basically pickpocketing it), and would go home and call him the next day.

After the third time, I would just leave the bar whenever he happened to show up.

Extraordinarily Ordinary

Posted On:
    3/31/2012 7:40am

supporting member
     Style: TKD, CMA & American Kenpo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnKenner View Post
    I am a proponent of concealed and open carry laws.
    Being a proponent of the Second Amendment, I can only meet half way on this issue. I am a strong supporter of concealed carry. It is heavily regulated, and in order to do this legally, the person has a background check and at least minimal training. Bad guys are already carrying, and will continue to do so, without regard to any law.
    The open carry issue has been debated to death. I have reservations about open carry, and some of those who wish to carry in this manner. With the liberal government we are subject to in this day and time, the open-carry movement actually does more harm than good.
    The (liberal) media is a detriment to firearms in general. I read the Chicago Tribune on a daily basis; several people are shot (some killed) on a daily basis. This in a city that has pretty much banned handguns for almost forty years. Every time I go to Chicago, I carry my off-duty firearm, and it is, of course, concealed. I have some peace of mind, knowing that if necessary, I have all the bases covered.
    I find it hard to believe that American society could/would benefit in any way from citizens openly carrying firearms. I am open-minded about most things, and if there are any really good arguments, I might see the light. I just haven't heard any valid points in support of open carry.

All Out of Bubblegum

Posted On:
    3/31/2012 10:46am

supporting memberforum leader
     Style: MMA

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    My issue with it is basically I don't like people carrying guns they aren't responsible, conscientious, and considerate with for the sake of political protest.

What most of these people basically want is a codpiece and/or a button that says " i am a libertarian ask me about the second amendment"

It's like insisting you have the right to make a protest sign out of carbon steel and sharpen the edges. Technically true but stupid.

I like open carry for the initial intention - decreasing the hassle of utilitarian gun use
    There's no choice but to confront you, to engage you, to erase you. I've gone to great lengths to expand my threshold of pain. I will use my mistakes against you. There's no other choice.

Extraordinarily Ordinary

Posted On:
    3/31/2012 10:41pm

supporting member
     Style: TKD, CMA & American Kenpo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyCache View Post
    What most of these people basically want is a codpiece and/or a button that says " i am a libertarian ask me about the second amendment"
    That pretty much sums it up; they are trying to make a political statement and point out their 'conversation piece'. I'm just happy to the peace of mind that a concealed firearm provides when I travel with my family.

I'd prefer that nobody but me know that I am carrying. I don't want any 'shock value' and I damn sure don't want someone reporting a man with a gun to law enforcement.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/03/2012 12:42am

Style: taijiquan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    1) Cant imagine anyone trying to knock over a pokemon cards shop. There must be more money in it than I was aware of.

2) Not a big fan of open carry. Ive met some great people through gun culture! Ive also met some people that are questionable. Its been said already but while I support the right to carry, I think open carry is in a sense spoiling for a fight. I think cops have a hard job to do, and I dont think its cool to waste their time making them check you out because you made some lady at the grocery nervous parading your long slide 1911. I think its an even bigger waste of everyones time when youre doing it just to do it. If you wanted to protect yourself and loved ones theres no reason you couldnt get the job done with a concealed gun. Also... As a gun owner your record is likely clean as a whistle. But you know they have to check you when called, even though they should be pulling some accident victim from wreckage, catching actual BGs, or even patrolling areas just to be preventative...

IMO real badasses dont advertise.

Just my opinion.

Posted On:
    4/03/2012 4:23am

Style: 9mm/Judo/BJJ/MT

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I never, ever open carry, ever. I completely understand that some people will just simply never be comfortable around firearms. My mother is pro second amendment but she can't be around firearms because they scare the living daylights out of her like a phobia she can't shake. I know there are other people out there who just aren't comfortable with a weapon blatantly out and about. That's totally fine by me, I respect that. I also like the idea of never being hassled by a police officer because my open carried weapon is causing a stir. My weapons are my business.

That's just me.

As for the game store issue, I always respect peoples' choices on whether or not to carry especially when they have thought their choices out, and it seems your friend has. So long as nobody is trying to step on my rights, to each his own.
    "Intelligence is nothing more than discussing things with others. Limitless wisdom comes of this." - 山本 常朝

Lightweight

Posted On:
    4/03/2012 6:21am

Business Class Supporting Membersupporting member
     Central Texas Combatives Training Group Style: AMOK!

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Alot of people who support open carry do so in order to negate the chance of prosecution if they inadvertently expose their lawfully concealed weapon.

His heart was visible, and the dismal sack that maketh excrement of what is eaten.

Posted On:
    4/03/2012 8:21am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm a fan of open carry, even when it's only done to make a statement.

I carry concealed. Occasionally I'll stick a paddle holster on my hip and open carry when I have to get out of the truck to pump gas, use an ATM or something like that.

First of all, I think people should be allowed to carry openly because it's America and the act of carrying openly doesn't hurt anyone. Secondly, I appreciate the statement people are making when they open carry. If people see it enough, it reminds them that the sight of a man carrying a gun doesn't equal criminal activity. I want guns to be more accepted, not less accepted. So, thumbs up for open carry - whatever your reason.
Page 1 of 7 1 2345 ... LastLast