Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/28/2012 4:14pm

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

BJJ/MMA vs. Wing Chun, Sifu Replies

I found this discussion here
    There are some real gems in this response.

Question:
    Good morning Sifu. I have a question regarding jiu jistu, BJJ or whatever they call it. I was watching countless youtube videos of these BJJ guys destroying all different types of martial arts. How does our wing chun really go against their ground game and how do they bridge so fast. I want to know your opinion on that and if you have any insight or story to tell about your wing chun and bjj training. Thank you Sifu

Answer:
    Ahh, the old Wing Chun vs BJJ discussion. I suppose I'll never tire of relating the two. As always I must start my diatribe with this... I love BJJ, but I love Wing Chun more. Comparing the two is very easy. Wing Chun prefers to stand and BJJ prefers to lay down. However they both are capable in either position... more or less. But really we are talking apples and oranges here. They are both fruits but the flavor is entirely different. BJJ is very athletic and requires many hours to become proficient. WC is a self defense and can be learned quickly and no athleticism is required. BJJ is from Brazil via Japan via China. WC is from China. All of the movements in BJJ, Muai Thai, karate etc... are already embodied in the WC system. Now with this said I understand the arguments against WC. And BJJs "founder" Helio Gracie was not athletic.

Perhaps it would be best to describe my experience with BJJ. I spent a lot of time rolling around the ground with mostly large men. I had to use technique to overcome their strength. I got injured almost every class. I would then have to train around the injury. I eventually got MRSA Staph from rolling around with a bunch of men and almost died from it. I was told that more people are dying from MRSA than AIDS! I've talked with the best BJJ guys and even they admit that in a real fight they do not want to go to the ground. I used to train in both BJJ and WC but my Wing Chun is what always allowed me to heal myself. I miss BJJ but WC is infinitely more efficient as a "complete martial art".

Some argue that it's best to cross train. I disagree. If you are going into the next UFC then I suggest training in that style (Mixed Martial Arts). If you are going to play football I suggest finding a football coach. If you want to learn the most efficient martial art in the world that works in actual combat, I suggest my style Wing Chun.

And finally I'd like to respond to the comment "what about youtube videos of these BJJ guys destroying all different types of martial arts". First of all I've seen videos of BJJ guys getting beat. But you're right, they mostly post videos of them winning. Fair enough. would you expect to win a football game by training in WC? No. BJJ? No. Would you fight a boxing match with a gun? Real Wing Chun specializes in making your body strong. Learning how to fight comes from fighting. Learning how to defend yourself against unprovoked attack requires training that is designed for that purpose. I've never been seriously injured (hurt yes!) training in Wing Chun. And in 15 years of teaching WC I've never heard anyone of my students getting beat up. I've heard and seen plenty of cases of attackers getting seriously injured or killed by WC practitioners.

In general I think UFC and MMA guys are phenomenal athletes. It would be silly to see a WC guy go into the ring. WC is not a sport and useless in sporting competition. I also feel that Mixed Martial Artists are usually not actual martial artists. They're pugilists. Jocks. Fighters. But not martial artists. And great martial artists do not make sport of their art.
    Last edited by Witty1; 3/28/2012 4:25pm at .

Fasten your seat belts, and prepare for lift off

Posted On:
    3/28/2012 4:45pm

supporting member
     Style: Combat Cuddling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yawn more of same. "They're better but are they "better" than us?" street vs sport. Sports injure you, blah blah, blah. Im not an athletic excuses.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/28/2012 5:08pm

Style: KK

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    WC is a self defense and can be learned quickly and no athleticism is required.
    Any adult who buys this deserves what they get.

Posted On:
    3/28/2012 5:23pm

forum leader
     Style: BJJ/ MMA/ MT

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I just want to scream "ANSWER THE FUCKING QUESTION SIFU POLITICIAN!!!"
    GET A RED BELT OR DIE TRYIN'.

Posted On:
    3/28/2012 5:32pm

Style: Humbleness

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The only part I actually cared was when he said that about MRSA anyone now about this ****? the "MRSA is killing more people than AIDS" argument seems like a excuse but what about the actual risks? any grapplers that can debunk that **** about the deadly BJJ virus?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/28/2012 5:43pm

Style: Shorin Ryu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Witty1 View Post
    BJJ is from Brazil via Japan via China.
    Is there actually anything within BJJ that originated in China?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/28/2012 5:48pm

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    This guys reasoning summarized as "If you try to do something and fail it is because trying leads to failure so never try"

He's like the anti-Yoda

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/28/2012 6:00pm

Style: Bjj & Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The guys is a delusional **** tard this type of comments about the deadly chun will never end.... the comment on that website was pretty funny.... chunners always like the ufc has rules chun doesn't lol

Fasten your seat belts, and prepare for lift off

Posted On:
    3/28/2012 6:03pm

supporting member
     Style: Combat Cuddling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by RurikGreenwulf View Post
    The only part I actually cared was when he said that about MRSA anyone now about this ****? the "MRSA is killing more people than AIDS" argument seems like a excuse but what about the actual risks? any grapplers that can debunk that **** about the deadly BJJ virus?
    I've had staph twice, ringworm once. Sure you get infections but unless you don't shower you're fine. I got them training at this shitty nasty gym in college.

He's making excuses, I got injured everyday? Sure if you train with Johnny redneck. Also I'd like to know what "Bjj experts" he consulted.

Posted On:
    3/28/2012 6:07pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    That post was from 2008. Who knows if that chuntard even still uses that blog account

**** off with your trolling
Page 1 of 57 1 23451151 ... LastLast