Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    3/02/2012 12:15am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Aikido?

I have been interested in martial arts for a very long time but have never went to any classes. I have always loved Japanese culture, samurai's,bushido,art, zen, psycology, the mind etc.... I am looking into taking Aikido because I love the philosophy behind it and the mental fitness you gain from it. The art of Aikido amazes me!. However I dont know if Aikido is effective in a random street encounter.

I was wondering if theres any Aikidoka's that can tell me the mental side of aikido? ( i am interested in the psychology of aikido self - actualization, Harmony, respect, finding more about your self, confidence etc )

I love the philosophy and ART of aikido but is it effective on the street or am i better of taking something like Judo? (There isn't really any close judo schools around me) likely i probably wouldn't put my self in a situation to put my self in a fight nor probably ever have to use self defense but if something were to happen would I have the tools to defend myself with Aikido

Registered Member

Achievements:
    3 months registered

Posted On:
    3/02/2012 1:03am

Style: Judo, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Nujabes View Post
    I have been interested in martial arts for a very long time but have never went to any classes. I have always loved Japanese culture, samurai's,bushido,art, zen, psycology, the mind etc.... I am looking into taking Aikido because I love the philosophy behind it and the mental fitness you gain from it. The art of Aikido amazes me!. However I dont know if Aikido is effective in a random street encounter.

I was wondering if theres any Aikidoka's that can tell me the mental side of aikido? ( i am interested in the psychology of aikido self - actualization, Harmony, respect, finding more about your self, confidence etc )

I love the philosophy and ART of aikido but is it effective on the street or am i better of taking something like Judo? (There isn't really any close judo schools around me) likely i probably wouldn't put my self in a situation to put my self in a fight nor probably ever have to use self defense but if something were to happen would I have the tools to defend myself with Aikido
    I think most people here will probably tell you that Aikido is not very good for physical defense. From what I've heard, some practiioners of Aikido even become delusional about what techniques can actually work in certain situations in which case this would be a negative form of mental fitness.

Despite this, I do know Aikido practiioners which have very good skills, but they also have been training Aikido for 15+ years and have also started cross training in Brazilian Jiujitsu, Judo, etc.

100% of everyone here will tell you that Judo is more effective than Aikido for physical defense. Also, depending on where you train, Judo often has just as much philosophy and "mental fitness" as Aikido, but none of the delusional stuff.

Posted On:
    3/02/2012 1:14am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Kali, MMA, Hsing-Yi

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The art doesn't matter as much as the teacher and the school. If you studied the "deadliest art" in the world but didn't train it with any realism or sparring it would be worthless.
    I trained internal kung fu with two different instructors, one always concentrated on the health benefits and relaxation and one who just taught us to fight. It was the same art, just taught completely differently and i got a different experience from both.
    If you are interested in the spiritual and mental development side of Aikido then train in it for those reasons. If you are only interested in training for self defense find someone who is going to each you self defense.
    I used to train in Krav Maga and I loved it for self defense and i still recommend it to people looking for self defense. It takes very little time to become proficient.

Posted On:
    3/02/2012 1:40am

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    thanks for the reply!

I really like Aikido because of the spirtual side to it. I think that is the #1 reason i want to take Aikido is because of the "Spirtual Path"

The #2 reason would have to be is how to defend my self. This is where im sceptical about taking Aikido due to alot of things Ive read and seen. I would love to take 2 different martial arts and to go into something like Krav Maga but right now i really dont have the money or time. I guess the best option is to go around to different schools for the free trial classes and look for good teacher's.

Thanks for the advice,

Posted On:
    3/02/2012 1:50am

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    and I really don't think i would put myself in a situation where I would have to fight but if there were ever a time where I had to defend myself would aikido be enough to defend myself. As I said I am more interested in the spiritual and mental development side of marital arts and always been interested in the science of MA pressure points wrist locks etc... I guess if thats my number oen reason than i should train in aikido for those reasons

I am a Ninja bitches!! Deal with it

Achievements:
    25000 Experience PointsVeteran

Posted On:
    3/02/2012 1:57am

Join us... or die
     Style: Improv comedy

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I enjoyed Aikido but stopped after 5 years because I had no confidence in it in self defense.

It's training is largely scenario based with an attacker defender paradigm which is unrealistic.

That's not to say don't do it or it's 100% useless but it doesn't involve resistant training and won't condition your fight or flight reflexes or adrenaline dump, or put you in training that resembles very realistic scenarios.

Best option is to try something like BJJ or Judo and compare with Aikido and see which one you enjoy the most.

Also look for Yoshinkan Aikido Aikikai style usually sucks balls

Achievements:
    1 year registered5000 Experience PointsRecommendation Second ClassCreated Album pictures

Posted On:
    3/02/2012 3:23am

Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    To your question on wether or not it is a practical art with self-defense applications- No.

Martial Arts that are:
    Striking- Boxing, Muay Thai, Kickboxing of any kind, Kyokushin karate
    Grappling- Judo, Wrestling (not Pro-Wrestling), Brazilian Ju Jitsu, Sambo

If possible, the best way to go would be to cross train in at least one of these striking arts and with one of the grappling arts listed above.

Japanese people also train in Muay Thai, Wrestling and Boxing, so I think you can keep your love for Japanese culture alive by training in any of these styles, without sacrificing money and time spent training on an ineffective art (Aikido) to indulge it.
    "This is why we are here. Because the Martial Arts for too long have been cloaked in an unnecessary level of secrecy bordering on mysticism, and its in these shadows that the cockroaches love to hide. -Phrost"

Quote Originally Posted by Squerlli
    And of course, our resident hard man, underground fighter, kitten rescuer, loving father (I'm serious), and over all very sexy furry ************... Budo monkeh.

Registered Member

Achievements:
    31 days registered1000 Experience Points

Posted On:
    3/02/2012 8:52am

Style: Injured

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I've done Aikido for around 2-3 years and I was entirely convinced there was no other more effective art to do, and that in a dangerous situation my hidden talents and training would come up and I would beat the living **** out of anyone bigger, stronger, faster, as long as I had good technique and a fighter's state of mind...

Well...then I came across Judo and realized how feeble I really was. I was thrown everyday in randori by people younger than I was, never got a single throw off, lost matches here and there, and was thoroughly if not completely ass beaten.

I still get my ass kicked to this day but I'm stronger and much more physically fit thanks to Judo. The only good I got from Aikido was to be relaxed in Judo randori, I can feel the tension of my opponents and I'm always relaxed. I still lose though so maybe I should be tense who the **** knows anyway...

I can't find it in me to advise against Aikido, but maybe it depends on the Aikido.

I am a 1st Kyu in Aikido, going on 1st Dan in a few months. I am by no means an expert, maybe someone else can answer your question better.

My answer is be careful if you want Aikido for self defence, and you might wanna look into Judo or Wrestling for a better chance at finding it...

Registered Member

Achievements:
    31 days registered

Posted On:
    3/02/2012 12:05pm

Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Just do judo. You still have a focus on blending with your opponent and a sense of tradition (some schools will place more emphasis on this then others). But you also get good physical training the incorporates standing throws and submissions from the ground against a fully resisting opponent.

/end nut ride

Achievements:
    Recommendation Second Class1 year registered10000 Experience Points

Posted On:
    3/02/2012 3:59pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Having wasted more time than most here on MAs based upon bad theories and compliant training I am fully converted to aliveness, resistance and testing. Take some Aikido classes if you need to slake your curiosity but for God's sake if you are going to put time, money and effort into pursuing martial arts make it something real (Boxing, judo, wrestling, muay thai, bjj, sambo, MMA).
Page 1 of 9 1 2345 ... LastLast