Style: Hapkido

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

My Hapkido School

My school on this scale:
    Aliveness "6-7" Safety gear and medium contact in sparring
    Equipment "7"
    Gym size "8"
    Instructor/Student Ratio "8-10" Master always teaches class, Grandmaster often on the foor with us
    Atmosphere"9" Like a brother/sisterhood; no drama allowed. You have to gel with the pack. Straight and honest feedback, tough love as well.
    Striking instruction "7" many strikes from many angles ranges and limitations like against walls and in corners
    Ground Instruction "6-7"
    Weapons"4" a use a range of weapons but type of contact depends on skill level. We have a separate belt for the sword art that is earned alongside the open handed way.

Administrator

Posted On:
    2/28/2012 3:31pm

staff
     Style: Chinese Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You start another thread for that dumbass.

Like this one.

In the future name of school and website also helps.

T3h R34l Gangnam Style!

Posted On:
    2/28/2012 4:28pm

staff
     Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You rate your school with a 6-7 in ground. You didn't go into specifics. What does your school do in the way of ground fighting?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/28/2012 10:23pm

Style: PMA, CLF, Longfist n more

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    At the risk of sounding stupid, I'm running under the assumption that this is the school at which you train Hapkido. I just want it to be clear that this isn't a school teaching something like the hankido or hankumdo you have listed in your styles.

Also, you list your gym size as 8, which is relatively big. Can you give us an estimated size (or actual if you know). When I reviewed my own school, I gave it a 4-5 even though there were 3 decent sized rooms capable of holding at least 2 sparring sessions in each, so an 8 would be a pretty big school.

Third, you say that your instruction is 8-10. I'm not calling BS on your instructor's qualifications, but names/known achievements would be nice to know.

As a kung-fu guy, I don't know much about Hapkido, aside from it having a mix of strikes, locks, and throws like almost every other art. I wasn't aware that it had any groundfighting, unless you are counting the finished product of a throw/lock as groundfighting. Again, I'm not yet calling BS, but a 6-7 seems awful high unless (A) you forgot to mention that theres a qualified grappling instructor among your teachers, or (B) you are counting what isn't groundfighting as actual groundfighting.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    2/29/2012 5:38pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Hapkido

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Sure. We are taught all three HKD's Hapkido, Hankido and Hankumdo.
    I am not good at estimating square footage for the size of the gym, but by the rating scale it's accurate to say we have enough room for everyone to breakfall and do long dives without any trouble. There are two rooms fully matted. It's not warehouse size or anything. We could hold 4 sparring matches in one room and two in the other.
    My Grandmaster is Marshall P. Gagne, the highest ranking non-korean in the International Hapkido Federation holding his 8th dan, currently, and is the President and founder of the American Hapkido Association. He was trained in Korea in the 1960's by a student of the founder of hapkido. He trained for many years, returning to Korea often, and waited many more to get awarded his 8th dan. He's over 60 years old. 3rd generation, basically. www.ushapki.com ushamgk on youtube. Also Mu Gong Kwan on youtube will get you to some videos.
    Master Barror is currently 5th dan in Hapkido and is our qualified grappling instructor along with a background in wrestling. As a low belt, blue, I am just being introduced into the ground fighting in the curriculum. We do NOT count the finished product of a lock as ground fighting. You're just on the ground. So far I have been given some simple ground defenses from the positing of lying on my back. Because it is not an emphasis in hapkido, this is generally taught to higher belts later in the curriculum. Hmmm I think I addressed everything. Let me know if I missed something. I would not try to give my school a puffed up rating so I don't mean to be misleading! In fact I invite you to come visit us if you are in the area! -Miss HapkiUSA

12th level logic wielder

Posted On:
    2/29/2012 6:40pm

Style: BJJ, judo, rapier

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by HapkiUSA View Post
    Ground Instruction "6-7"
    Guidelines: “6-7: Comprehensive grappling with success in local/regional competition or practical application”. So do the students at your Hapkido school successfully compete in e.g. local/regional BJJ or submission grappling competitions?
    [ petterhaggholm.net | blog | essays ]
    [ self defence: general thoughts | bjj: “don’t go to the ground”? ]
    “The plural of anecdote is anecdotes, not data.”

Administrator

Posted On:
    2/29/2012 11:22pm

staff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by HapkiUSA View Post
    Sure. We are taught all three HKD's Hapkido, Hankido and Hankumdo.
    I am not good at estimating square footage for the size of the gym, but by the rating scale it's accurate to say we have enough room for everyone to breakfall and do long dives without any trouble. There are two rooms fully matted. It's not warehouse size or anything. We could hold 4 sparring matches in one room and two in the other.
    My Grandmaster is Marshall P. Gagne, the highest ranking non-korean in the International Hapkido Federation holding his 8th dan, currently, and is the President and founder of the American Hapkido Association. He was trained in Korea in the 1960's by a student of the founder of hapkido. He trained for many years, returning to Korea often, and waited many more to get awarded his 8th dan. He's over 60 years old. 3rd generation, basically. www.ushapki.com ushamgk on youtube. Also Mu Gong Kwan on youtube will get you to some videos.
    Master Barror is currently 5th dan in Hapkido and is our qualified grappling instructor along with a background in wrestling. As a low belt, blue, I am just being introduced into the ground fighting in the curriculum. We do NOT count the finished product of a lock as ground fighting. You're just on the ground. So far I have been given some simple ground defenses from the positing of lying on my back. Because it is not an emphasis in hapkido, this is generally taught to higher belts later in the curriculum. Hmmm I think I addressed everything. Let me know if I missed something. I would not try to give my school a puffed up rating so I don't mean to be misleading! In fact I invite you to come visit us if you are in the area! -Miss HapkiUSA
    Jesus woman, try paragraphs.

Administrator

Posted On:
    2/29/2012 11:31pm

staff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    BTW guys did you check this out?
    http://www.ushapki.com/pages/mma.php

Class Times

Mon & Wed: 7:00pm
    Sat: 1:00pm
    Prices

3 Month or less: $275.00/mo.
    6 Month: $200.00/mo.
    12 Month: $149.00/mo.

Titanium laced beauty

Posted On:
    2/29/2012 11:38pm

supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: BJJ, wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Omega Supreme View Post
    BTW guys did you check this out?
    http://www.ushapki.com/pages/mma.php

Class Times

Mon & Wed: 7:00pm
    Sat: 1:00pm
    Prices

3 Month or less: $275.00/mo.
    6 Month: $200.00/mo.
    12 Month: $149.00/mo.
    How about the fact that the title of that page is "Mixed Martial Arts"?

At least we know Grandmaster Gagne is SEO savvy.
    Shut the hell up and train.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/01/2012 7:28am

Style: KenSeiDo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    hate to get into semantics here, but they are a Hapkido school and yet they advertise Karate?
Page 1 of 7 1 2345 ... LastLast