Page 1 of 3 1 23 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    2/20/2012 8:42pm

Style: FMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Anyone train Serrada?I'm trying it out.

I've relocated to Orlando and have been looking for some local martial arts. I met up with a Serrada group and trained with them saturday. I really enjoyed the class (at a local park). The students seemed pretty dedicated and the head instructors were impressive. I'm pretty much set on staying with this group. But I'd like to hear about other's experience with Serrada.

I've trained in my current style;Balintawak for 5-6 years. I'll be testing for "completion of the art" sometime this year when I can visit the GM. There is possibly some Balintawak here in Orlando but getting training time sounds complicated. Besides I'd like to branch out into other FMA systems.

In Balintawak we focus on single stick techniques and there is minimal knowledge of Filipino terminology in the curriculum. Serrada appears to involve stick, blade, stick and blade together, and empty hand. The instructor also seems interested in promoting Filipino culture which I think is important for someone who is dedicated to a Filipino system.

Eventually I'd like to return to BJJ in addition to continuing FMA. However, for now I'm nursing a serious patella fracture and BJJ is hard on my knee. I can't afford to aggravate this injury with my new job. Also, after starting a new job I'm trying to get my the debt I accrued while in school in check so even fair monthly club fees are a bit much. I get the impression the cost Serrada instruction will be quite minimal if at all.

That's my situation. Feel free to chime in with comments about your FMA training.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/21/2012 10:24am

Style: fma

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by jspeedy View Post
    However, for now I'm nursing a serious patella fracture and BJJ is hard on my knee.
    the footwork in serrada doesn't bother your knee?

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    2/21/2012 10:39am

supporting member
     Style: stick,Taiji, mountainbike

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm stoked for you, in a purely selfish reason! Since I've been training more stick, and loving it, I would love for you to get more experience, and impart that wisdom on me the next time you meander through Pensacola!!!

I'm glad you found some cool people to train with!
    Combatives training log.

Gezere: paraphrase from Bas Rutten, Never escalate the level of violence in fight you are losing. :D

Drum thread

Pavel Tsatsouline: kettlebell workouts give you “cardio without the dishonour of aerobics”.

pro nonsense self defense

Posted On:
    2/21/2012 12:34pm

supporting member
     Style: FMA, dumbek, Indian clubs

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I've seen some very small pieces of Serrada done by my teacher and his son. Looks like a very interesting system.

Posted On:
    2/21/2012 3:59pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by tim_stl View Post
    the footwork in serrada doesn't bother your knee?
    No, being in a kneeling position (like BJJ) or any deep squatting or deep knee flexion is uncomfortable. Simple steps and footwork are fine. I regularly ride my bike and until recently waited tables for as much as 12 hours a day.

We did do a some ducking under motions that forced me to work my knee but it didn't cause any problems. The only activities I have trouble with are running and ground work from my knees in BJJ.

Quote Originally Posted by Diesel_tke View Post
    I'm stoked for you, in a purely selfish reason! Since I've been training more stick, and loving it, I would love for you to get more experience, and impart that wisdom on me the next time you meander through Pensacola!!!

I'm glad you found some cool people to train with!
    If I get a chance i'll have to show you some stuff. It's interesting how in Balintawak we used mainly a female triangular foot work pattern to move and flank the opponent. In Serrada the footwork appears is more of a male triangle foot work pattern where you penetrate into the opponents guard.

Quote Originally Posted by Permalost View Post
    I've seen some very small pieces of Serrada done by my teacher and his son. Looks like a very interesting system.
    I was thinking the same. At class tomorrow we're supposed to meet up with another Orlando FMA group and train. I have no clue what to expect. But it will be interesting.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    2/21/2012 7:03pm

supporting member
     Style: stick,Taiji, mountainbike

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Awesome! I'll look forward to it!
    Combatives training log.

Gezere: paraphrase from Bas Rutten, Never escalate the level of violence in fight you are losing. :D

Drum thread

Pavel Tsatsouline: kettlebell workouts give you “cardio without the dishonour of aerobics”.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/22/2012 6:50pm

Style: Bahad Zubu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I trained Serrada for years, ultimately I left it as it did not do well for me in sparring, the blocking is unrealistic and the follow ups are also overly complicated. Since you have been training for years I would imagine you have been sparring, once you have the first counters down for angle 1 and 2 try some sparring and try it out. I would appreciate you letting me know what you think.

Posted On:
    2/23/2012 3:07pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by 1evilgenius View Post
    I trained Serrada for years, ultimately I left it as it did not do well for me in sparring, the blocking is unrealistic and the follow ups are also overly complicated. Since you have been training for years I would imagine you have been sparring, once you have the first counters down for angle 1 and 2 try some sparring and try it out. I would appreciate you letting me know what you think.
    I'll have to let you know how it works out after I get some sparring in. I'm not sure how often these guys spar but eventually I hope to find a couple of guys interested in meeting up to spar outside of class every so often.

I have mainly seen the empty hand side of Serrada and a little stickwork. The last class we actually met of with a group of Garimot guys and learned a little about their largo style. I liked how open everyone was to trying other styles. I was thinking the Serrada would work well for sparring because it doesn't seem to require a lot of space to perform strikes and blocks. I'll have to see for myself, for now in sparring I see myself falling back on my roots in Balintawak a midrange style that has still has it's own limitations and benefits.

As for the complicated techniques, at least for empty hand they were presented as several options you have that are trained together or in sequence but it doesn't represent reality where you may only use one of the techniques in an encounter.

What other styles have you trained evilgenius? Anything else you feel more comfortable with in weapons sparring?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/23/2012 3:08pm

Style: fma

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by jspeedy View Post
    The last class we actually met of with a group of Garimot guys and learned a little about their largo style.
    ah- was that yogi diaz?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/23/2012 3:43pm

Style: Bahad Zubu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I look forward you hearing how the sparring works out for you. I currently train Bahad Zubu which is a Kali Ilustrisimo based art. Prior to BZ I did serrada, largo mano, and a few other styles blended in to the mix. Just curious if the Serrada empty hand was a seperate style or a translation of the stick work to empty hands?
Page 1 of 3 1 23 LastLast