Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/08/2006 8:27pm

Style: Relson Gracie Jiu-Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Austin, Texas - Relson Gracie Jiu-Jitsu Academy

I think this is the best BJJ in Austin, TX. Not only are the prices reasonable, but Phil Cardella is there for every class (that is 3 times a day for M-F ((morning, noon, and night), then the Sa,Su classes). He is extremly dedicated to Relson's style of Jiu-Jitsu, to his academy and his students. He helps everyone out and makes sure that everyone gets what they want to get out of the class.

We actively compete in tournaments and we kick butt, taking home 1st numerous times. We have MMA fighters compete in local MMA events.

Everyone is on a first name basis with Phil. When you join this school, not only do you get the best BJJ in Austin, but you get a family too! I don't take the Muay Thai class, but I do know that is is very good. We have a MMA class every Wednesday for those interested. I fell in love with BJJ after the first class, a good part due to Phil. Phil also does great BBQ right there at the school, so we get to fill our tummies with great fish, deer, or pig after a hard day's work of BJJ.

We also have a great kids class and several, wonderful, lady students. We also have old men (*coughs Giberson* - inside joke) who are tough and mean. So come on in. First class is free!!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	map_headquarters.gif 
Views:	2195 
Size:	15.2 KB 
ID:	6503  

Last edited by eviechu; 10/08/2006 8:48pm at .

Administrator

Posted On:
    12/01/2006 1:45am

supporting memberhall of famestaff
     Style: Muay Thai & BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I got good vibes reading this review. Thanks!

Fasten your seat belts, and prepare for lift off

Posted On:
    12/06/2007 2:15am

supporting member
     Style: Combat Cuddling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Been here good stuff Phil's great, funny guy, good GJJ gym. For Austin and central Texas you're not gonna get better. Unique Jiu-jitsu style learned some good stuff.
    Last edited by DKJr; 2/24/2010 4:18pm at .

I Ducked Out on a Gong Sau

Posted On:
    12/18/2007 6:00am

Style: Gentleman Adventurer

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Aliveness

People hit each other hard and grapple like maniacs(in a good way).

Equipment
    It's BJJ, so not much equipment is needed. Clean mats and spare gis are enough. Granted this club goes past the norm and added climbing ropes, grappling dummies, a bench for weigthlifting, kettlebells, etc.

The bathrooms are always kept clean (last time I was there a mailbox was turned on its side next to the toilet, but judging by its cleanliness, I assume it was there for decor. Bathroom reading material was Judo/MMA/Jiujitsu related. There's plenty of dirty jokes to be added here, but I'll leave that to your discretion and/or originality.

Gym Size
    It's larger than your average BJJ club. Plenty big enough to accomodate people starting to grapple from their feet. Large area for grappling, a smaller area for Kickboxing, and an even smaller-er place for people training solo or with a partner.

Instructor/Student Ratio
    There are four instructors - Phil Cardella, Christy Thomas, Randy Vera and Richard the old man :p. There are also many, many students. Phil has the uncanny ability to seem to be in several places at the same time, so he's always coaching someone, or fixing technique.

Every instructor was very attentive to me while I was there, and even though as I said, there were many people rolling, I still felt like I could ask questions and get answered.

Phil Cardella, when I asked him about grip figthing, ran a whole class focused on it I was very impressed by this, because I haven't had many instructors who focus on begginer's questions, rather than their higher belts who are looking to compete regularly.

Atmosphere
    Friendly, funny, and there's bar-b-que. Everyone was very cool and always answered my questions, no matter how noobish they were. I rolled a lot with Hedgehogey. If we weren't kneeing each other in the face, we talked about anime and yoko kanno. Pretty cool guy with an anarchy jacket and a tendency to yell out "KNEE-BAH!" just before he lets go of one.

Striking Instruction

This class is taught by Randy Vera, and although I never attended it (but really wanted to) I saw that it was very good. Boxing coaches come by often to help out, and everyone seems to go hard at it with technique and grace.

Grappling Instruction
    Top notch. Phil Cardella is a very solid blackbelt with a sick guard and top game. Richard Gibberson just got his black, so there's two black belts at the club. And not to take away from the many other people who were kind and helped me out with my game. My armbar defense, guard passing, side control, and footlocks are greatly improved, for example because of the many good grapplers at the club.

So yeah, place is good. train here. It's relatively cheap, has high quality grappling, accesible to anyone (just take the capital metros) and did I mention there's barbeque?

Featherweight

Posted On:
    12/19/2007 12:56pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: ...Looking...

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Can you comment more specifically on the Muay Thai program?

I Ducked Out on a Gong Sau

Posted On:
    12/20/2007 2:35pm

Style: Gentleman Adventurer

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by ArielT
    Can you comment more specifically on the Muay Thai program?
    I'd love too, but I haven't taken the class. Only watched it from the sidelines. From what I saw (and from my limited striking ability) there was a lot of time being given for technique, and drills. Thursdays was sparring for the more advanced practicioners. Crosstraining is encouraged, so other kickboxing and boxing instructors come to coach often.

I would suggest contacting Randy Vera or perhaps Hedgehogey or EvilScott, who post in this forum and can either answer your questions better than I can, or lead you to someone who can.

Posted On:
    1/16/2008 9:43am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: BJJ, Soo Bahk Do

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Most classes looked to be abuot 3 hours long. I guess Im not used to that. At that rate I would only be able to make it once a week to class.

Are there any discounts if you pay a whole year in advance?

Tsun-Derrorist

Posted On:
    1/16/2008 6:19pm

supporting member
     Style: ^_^

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yes. Also, only one day a week should be pretty fucking cheap.

"The only important elements in any society
    are the artistic and the criminal,
    because they alone, by questioning the society's values,
    can force it to change."-Samuel R. Delany

RENDERING GELATINOUS WINDMILL OF DICKS

THIS IS GOING TO BE THE BEST NON-EUCLIDIAN SPLATTERJOUST EVER

It seems that the only people who support anarchy are faggots, who want their pathetic immoral lifestyle accepted by the mainstream society. It wont be so they try to create their own.-Oldman34, friend to all children

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/18/2008 1:05pm

Style: Modern Army Combatives

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I train here whenever I'm in Austin to visit my wifes family (which isn't often) and agree that Phil is awesome. His top game is just plain sick. The vibe in the school is always cool and there are many very good grapplers here.

Of the 3 or 4 times that I've dropped in here over the past 3 years I think Phil has only let me pay him for the class once though I try to hand him money every time.

Phil is also a pro MMA fighter with a decent record.
    http://www.sherdog.com/fighter/Phil-Cardella-4805

I highly recommend this school to any and all in the CenTex area.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/16/2012 10:05pm

Style: none yet

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    This is an old post, but it's a review post and I was curious if you guys still train here. I've been looking for a more MT heavy gym lately (I haven't trained in years) - I'd love to hear up to date reviews if anybody has any.

Thanks guys.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast