Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/09/2012 10:14am

Style: American Kickboxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

The art of Cage Fighting

*Looked into the forums and didn't see anything on the subject so i decided WTF.

Ever since the Mccain era the term "Cage fighting/fighter" has been frowned upon by mixed martial artist. It is associated with the animal instinct which many of us would deny and draws to much negative attention to just how brutal the sport of MMA can be. In truth I felt the same a few years back but being the bong ripping, philosophical, certified ass kicker I am, I analyzed the term a bit. IMO I don't feel it is that bad. in truth the cage in MMA offers a wide aray of factors as well as techniques that are beneficial in a competition as well as real life. Cage fighting is simply a way of learning to fight with your back against the wall or in most instances with your opponents back against the wall. There are no ropes to fall through so you can use it to create momentum, attack or defend. This is perfect for real life application, say for instance if a larger attacker forces you against a wall or a corner. As I said this is my opinion and there is no conclusive evidence besides what we see and practice in terms of MMA. ButI feel there that we should stop pussyfooting around the term just because "The others" will see us as barbaric. soooooooo........any thoughts on the subject.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    2/09/2012 10:46am

supporting member
     Style: Wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The term is convenient for describing the sport to people who've never been exposed to it. It's easier just to say "cage fighting" than having to explain kickboxing, BJJ, wrestling, etc.

Other than that, I would prefer if the media and the general public would just refer to the sport with its proper name.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/09/2012 12:01pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I agree using the term for "the others" in order to not confuse them.
    But in a sense not everyone in the sport of MMA can be conidered martial artist. Hell a lot of them wouldn't even consider themselves such

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    2/09/2012 3:17pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    But in a sense not everyone in the sport of MMA can be conidered martial artist. Hell a lot of them wouldn't even consider themselves such
    Well, if you define a martial artist as someone who practices martial arts, then pretty much every MMA fighter in the world is one (Excluding very low-tier, semi-professional fighters who don't train).

I assume the fighters who don't consider themselves martial artist believe that Western styles such as boxing and wrestling are not formal martial arts (They would be wrong).

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/09/2012 3:36pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    pefect example would be Chael Sonnen

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    2/09/2012 3:39pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by robdaze151 View Post
    pefect example would be Chael Sonnen
    Are you saying he doesn't consider himself a martial artist or that you don't?

Because he is, either way.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    2/10/2012 12:55am

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    cage fighting is as real as it is too fighting on the street based on any other fighting sport. Other than that their cud be alot of **** that cud happen on the street, if anything pride and the old ufc was as real as it got

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/10/2012 8:21am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I don't believe cage fighting and street fighting are the same thing. You can't bite, eye gouge or mash someone in the gibblets inside the cage. I'm saying the term should refer to the artform or if you don't want to call it that then at least respect the techniques and factors that the cage offers. Muay thai in it's purest formis not teaching guys to wall walk or dirty box against the cage. BJJ in it's purest form isn't teaching you to kick off the wall for a reversal or to help throw up an armbar. Even by combining the two or however many different styles you can not one will teach you to utilize the cage by itself. That is whay i feel it should be considered an artform.
    Quote Originally Posted by Holy Moment View Post
    Are you saying he doesn't consider himself a martial artist or that you don't?

Because he is, either way.
    meh I believe he and I would agree he isnt. Sure he may practice certain techniques used by martial artist but his lack in the core values of martial arts ( honor, respect, etc) is the reason he does not deserve said title.

I have emotions.

Posted On:
    2/10/2012 9:07am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by robdaze151 View Post
    meh I believe he and I would agree he isnt. Sure he may practice certain techniques used by martial artist but his lack in the core values of martial arts ( honor, respect, etc) is the reason he does not deserve said title.

Tell me then, what is your definition of a Martial Artist?

(tab) Forum > Forum Actions > General Settings > in Thread Display Options > Number of Posts to Show Per Page: 40

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/10/2012 9:50am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Off topic
    but in a nutshell and not to come off as an asshole.
    a martial artist is everything Chael Sonnen is not. I in turn pose a question to you. What qualities does chael posses that makes him a martial artist?
Page 1 of 3 1 23 LastLast