Posted On:
    2/03/2012 4:20pm

supporting memberstaff
     Style: Grappling

Hell yeah! Hell no!

Article: You donít need to win in sparring by Damien Trainor

by world class Muay Thai champion Damien Trainor

You donít need to win in sparring

Sparring is essential when you are training in any fighting art, be it for competition or general self defence.

This is the time when you will get to practice your skills against someone who has the same idea and intent as you, the key word being PRACTICE.

Often Iíve heard people say how theyíve knocked so and so out in sparring or how no one can touch them in their gym etc etc. This is not a good way to train in my opinion, therefore we do not condone this type of training at K-Star.

Full article @ http://www.damientrainor.com/2012/yo...in-in-sparring

For the long time forum members this might be ideas you've seen before put forth also by people who have been training martial arts for a long time.

This article also goes into how you can maximize your sparring to work on certain areas; clinch only, against the ropes, a one-limb handicap. Check it out and share!
    Surfing Facebook at work? Spread the good word by adding us on Facebook today! https://www.facebook.com/Bullshido

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/03/2012 6:06pm

Style: Thaiboxing; MMA nŲŲb

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Good article. I feel like I have to print this out and staple it to a few guys' heads.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/03/2012 8:20pm

Style: punch on artist

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I think there is a time and a place for going hard.

It serves as a good way to test new fighters and see what's really working when the pressure is on.
    Not being contrary to the author at all just looking at it through the eyes of the "survivor".

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/04/2012 8:48am

Style: Wrestling/Shotokan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I agree to an extent. I firmly believe that if you're not getting your @$$ handed to you in sparring, you're not getting any better. I do think that you have to win sometimes, though, if only to practice moves you wouldn't go for when you're getting your sh*t wrecked and for confidence.

Posted On:
    2/04/2012 9:06am

Style: BJJ, Judo, SAMBO

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by td82394 View Post
    I agree to an extent. I firmly believe that if you're not getting your @$$ handed to you in sparring, you're not getting any better. I do think that you have to win sometimes, though, if only to practice moves you wouldn't go for when you're getting your sh*t wrecked and for confidence.
    There is a difference between getting handled and getting beaten down. I think he is more referring to having your nose broken, elbow popped or other actual injury. 50-60% is going fairly hard. It isn't all out but it is solid work. I think that is the point of the article.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/06/2012 12:22pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Good article

:)

Posted On:
    2/16/2012 2:04pm

supporting member
     Style: Ex-Tiger KF, ex-SanDa

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Winning at sparring is like winning at setting up a chess board, or winning at warming up before a race.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/16/2012 2:30pm

Style: punch on artist

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It's not that black and white for me.

When other fighters come to your gym (or vice-versa) It's almost like a fight, and there should be a bit of a battle IMO. So long as nobody is outclassed.
    Even then, when I've been outclassed and trying to "win" it has only made me better.

In my experience the guys that are competitive at sparring and don't mind hitting and getting hit are the guys who fight, and fight well.

heaven sent and hell bent but weapons clenched and well kept

Posted On:
    2/16/2012 2:43pm

supporting member
     Style: 

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Good article.

"Winning" at mock combat is still mock winning, imho, so bragging about winning a sparring match is like bragging that you can land a plane because you play Microsoft Flight Simulator.

You might be able to land a plane, but you won't know until you have to. The more you train at sparring, the better your chances, right? Winning doesn't matter except when it counts.

I like the author's use of "Situational sparring". I do that with my own training partners, swapping roles of attacker and defender, swapping target areas, technique categories (e.g. throws vs punching) etc. Sometimes new sparring partners are so tense and unsure of themselves, you need to start small and basic anyway. Just my 0.02.

* Oh and someone needs to send this article to a certain Dan H. living in Boston.
    Last edited by W. Rabbit; 2/16/2012 2:51pm at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/16/2012 8:19pm

Style: Learning

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
Page 1 of 5 1 2345 LastLast