Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/22/2011 11:51pm

Style: Taekwondo shotokan mma

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Lunging punches

Can a kempo person explain why kempo self defense is practiced against a lunging punch which opens different targets thana regular cross and is a punch tht ive never seen thrown ever

Posted On:
    12/23/2011 1:31am

Style: BJJ/MT

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    There are kempo techniques vs. crosses and jabs as well. The other thing to keep in mind is that the techniques for pushes are serviceable for straight punches, depending on which arm is being blocked except when it specifies to go with the push as in glancing salute. Here's a few examples:

Jab:

Cross:
    (Oh god... it's Dance of Death...)

Edit: You'll please note I don't do Kempo any more.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/25/2011 9:56pm

Style: Pekiti-Tirsia Kali

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by jimmyeddy View Post
    Can a kempo person explain why kempo self defense is practiced against a lunging punch which opens different targets thana regular cross and is a punch tht ive never seen thrown ever
    I think it is largely an artifact of the prevalent "karate" training during its construction. It should be noted that Kajukenbo lineages largely do not use the lunge punch as its default, but rather the boxing cross.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/26/2011 12:17pm

Style: APK

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I personally practice and teach against regular boxing crosses, hooks, etc.... although things have to change a little its not like Im ever going to do a full technique IRL (have actually done most of dance of death and all of defying the storm though) the techniques are more just like examples, kind of like when you learn a language and you practice example sentences

pro nonsense self defense

Posted On:
    12/27/2011 1:08pm

supporting member
     Style: FMA, dumbek, Indian clubs

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Thebearjoe View Post
    have actually done most of dance of death and all of defying the storm though)
    So you did the elbow drop to the spine? How'd that work?

Posted On:
    12/27/2011 3:48pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Kenkojuku Karate, Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    IMO lunge punch was meant to be a training device for basic Karate. It lets beginners feel power transfer in their feet pushing off the floor into the punch while being telegraphed by the footwork and thus safe to drill with at full power/intent to the face, with no pads, as is common in Karate.

I think a lot of people around WW2 times learned basic Karate and began teaching it, and pretty much just taught basics forever (maybe some of that happened with Kempo too, since not everyone spent 10+ years in Hawaii I'm sure). Karate influenced Kempo a lot and a lot of Kempo loves those 81 hit dance of death combos, and lunge punch is the ideal attack to show off against. It's a natural fit.

It's something you're meant to leave behind, for the most part, as you mature, but it has it's uses, I guess, maybe (just practice against jab/cross imo).

Posted On:
    12/27/2011 10:41pm

Style: BJJ/MT

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Another important thing to note is that the techniques are not meant to be recordings that are replayed. If something happens exactly as a technique's 'script' reads, then great. There's nothing wrong with going off script. The techniques all have little 'teaching moments' in them meant to show you specific body movements and mechanics. Unfortunately, the (general) lack of non-compliant sparring leaves you sorely unprepared if you need to go off script.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    12/28/2011 8:38pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: kajukenbo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    In kajuenbo 3 of the 5 founders either were pro or armature boxers, so most of our punch counters come from a cross, but we also do jab counters as well as lunge WIDE punch as is the case in many untrained fights, just search youtube and you see what I mean, train for every angle and every possibility.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/31/2011 9:23pm

Style: APK

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Not well, I think I only hit his shoulder blade but the knee worked!

Heavyweight

Posted On:
    2/01/2012 9:49pm

supporting member
     Style: Kyokushinkai / Kajukenbo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I think it indicates too much time spent on basic unrealistic techniques. Some ke?po and karate dojo spend time on this stuff. Better ones don't.
    "Preparing mentally, the most important thing is, if you aren't doing it for the love of it, then don't do it." - Benny Urquidez