Page 1 of 6 1 2345 ... LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/09/2011 9:04pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

When should you stop lifting?

So i've been training 3x a week and lifting 3x a week. I've been following stronglifts 5x5 and while far from having beast strength, when I lift tomorrow im planning on squatting 90, benching 52.5 and rowing 52.5. My deadlift is at 95 and my overhead press at 40. These numbers are slowly but surely increasing.

As far as application in martial arts (sport or otherwise), how do you know when you should stop lifting for strength gains and work more on maintenance or work more on explosive lifts like cleans and snatches or plyometric exercises?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/09/2011 9:39pm

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    When you feel that lifting is impeding your ability to train effectively. But if you're looking for specific goals, 1xBW overhead, 1.5xBW bench, 2xBW squat and 2.5xBW deads are typical goals for lifting. If you're training hard and lifting you should make sure to eat enough.

Posted On:
    12/10/2011 4:22am

Join us... or die
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by dr_seth_l View Post
    But if you're looking for specific goals, 1xBW overhead, 1.5xBW bench, 2xBW squat and 2.5xBW deads are typical goals for lifting.
    And totally meaningless. It's much easier for a lighter athlete to lift bodyweight multiples than a heavy one. There's some kind of diminishing returns.

If you want to get explosive why not just start training for that? If you do decide to do snatch,cleans or jerks they're very technical lifts so the more practice you can get the better.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/10/2011 7:22am

Style: Jhoon Rhee Tae-Kwon-Do

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You should stop lifting before you are too muscle bound to wipe.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/10/2011 8:29am

Style: Aikido/JJJ/Judo/GoJu Ryu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    First, I want to ask what specifically concerns you about continuing lifting....is there something specific you are concerned about based on something you are currently experiencing?

Personally I completely mix up my training focus every three, or so, weeks. For example, I will do 5x5 stronglifts for a few weeks, then transition to high-enerygy circuit training (like Crossfit, but not; lots of plyo, pullups, dips, pistol squats, box jumps, climbing, etc). After a few weeks of that I transition to isolation workouts (the typical arms day, chest day, back day, etc....thought I usually include an explosives day during isolation training as well). I supplement this with running; which I try to do everyday. My goal is to do at least some kind of running everyday, regardless of distance, and to mix it up. So maybe I go 7 miles one day, the next day do a .5 mile warm up then like 20 hill repeats, then maybe hit the track for some 100m and 400m repeats, then like a 3 mi run, etc, etc.

I rest when I feel I need to, maybe 1-2 days a week. Sleep, diet, and rest can't be overemphasized for those working out regularly. Gotta have that recovery time.

Oh yeah, I treat core like another muscle group...I smoke-check my abs about once a week, but don't directly work them every day, or every other day, like some do.

I rarely just do 'maintenance' workouts...if I do, I consider it a rest day. I always try to legitimately challenge myself in the gym, do stuff I didn't think I could, or continue when I didn't think I could. Needless to say it help to go with friends when doing that.

Posted On:
    12/10/2011 9:01am

Style: FMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I did stronglifts for about a year following the program religiously. Eventually I got to the point where I couldn't push past a plateau.

I tried the methods layed out in the program decreasing by 10% (if I remember correctly first) than building back up, I still got stuck then I decreased by 30% and worked back up and plateaued again. I believe I tried this more than one time with no luck at pushing past my PR. Eventually due to my schedule I had to move on to a program that I could knock out in 30mins or less.

That is my experience with stronglifts. Perhaps I wasn't eating enough or maybe I was working too much and not resting enough between a busy school and work schedule. Eventually i'll try stronglifts again and hopefully break my previous PRs. As far as results? My legs gained quite a bit of size as i'd never done any leg work like that before but I don't feel like the rest of my upper body appearance changed very much but I did increase my strength and what I could lift by quite a lot.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    12/10/2011 11:46am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: NinBuKai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Lindz View Post
    And totally meaningless. It's much easier for a lighter athlete to lift bodyweight multiples than a heavy one. There's some kind of diminishing returns.
    Those multiplies really aren't that strong however, so that's more of a starting goal then the end goal. It'd be different if they were incredibly hard but anyone reasonably training for a year should be able to blow those out of the water.

Quote Originally Posted by St. Sleaze View Post
    Eventually i'll try stronglifts again and hopefully break my previous PRs. As far as results? My legs gained quite a bit of size as i'd never done any leg work like that before but I don't feel like the rest of my upper body appearance changed very much but I did increase my strength and what I could lift by quite a lot.
    It sounds like you'd have a lot more effective time with Starting Strength. The 3rd edition of that book just came out and most people's experience with it is that it will get you stronger much faster. It is more of a lifestyle for awhile though, due to the caloric/sleep requirements, but you'll likely return superior results. It's also faster, although if you're looking for a 30 minute 3x week program you probably aren't going to succeed at getting too much stronger.

Everybody was Kung Fu fighting

Posted On:
    12/10/2011 1:41pm

supporting member
     Style: Tai Chi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by PerseusStoned View Post
    Those multiplies really aren't that strong however, so that's more of a starting goal then the end goal. It'd be different if they were incredibly hard but anyone reasonably training for a year should be able to blow those out of the water.
    That's absurd, if you reached those multiples in less than a year of training without juice then you have great natural aptitude, especially for anybody approaching or exceeding 200lbs in body weight.
    !!RENT SPACE HERE FOR 10 VBUCKS PER LINE PER MONTH!!

!! PM ME FOR SPEEDY SERVICE !!

Sponsored by our first customer: Repulsive Monkey

I <3 Sirc.

Posted On:
    12/10/2011 4:26pm

Style: FMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by PerseusStoned View Post

It sounds like you'd have a lot more effective time with Starting Strength. The 3rd edition of that book just came out and most people's experience with it is that it will get you stronger much faster. It is more of a lifestyle for awhile though, due to the caloric/sleep requirements, but you'll likely return superior results. It's also faster, although if you're looking for a 30 minute 3x week program you probably aren't going to succeed at getting too much stronger.
    Thanks for the advice. I'll check out the newest addition of Starting Strength. I'm not limited to 30min workouts anymore now that i'm done with school. I am rehabbing a broken patella though so i'll have to ease into full body lifts.

I've just started doing strict knees behind the toes squats with the bar through the Randy couture workout. Which I find quite easy starting w/ the bar but I can see it getting hard as the weight is added. I'm still not very satisfied with the workout though as I can't find information on how to properly add weight, deal with plateaus, and properly modify the plan. I do like that it seems decent for getting back into a full body workout after about three months off of my injured leg.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    12/11/2011 9:58am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: NinBuKai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Cullion View Post
    That's absurd, if you reached those multiples in less than a year of training without juice then you have great natural aptitude, especially for anybody approaching or exceeding 200lbs in body weight.
    I've been training for 4 months and am 80% there (granted its harder the further you go). My progress is a little slower then the average person on Starting Strength as far as I know. I mean don't get me wrong, its extremely strong compared to the average person, but as far as the professionals go it really is the bare minimum.
Page 1 of 6 1 2345 ... LastLast