Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/09/2011 9:48pm

Style: Mixed Martial Arts (MMA)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

**VIDEO** The Trademark Avellan Guard Pass!

Hey everybody, I've been posting up a technique video every week and wanted to share this week's technique on this forum. This week I'm showing what Grappling magazine called, "The Avellan Trademark Knee Cut Across Pass...", which is my baddest, most reliable, and easiest guard pass. This is my most overused yet rarely stopped guard pass that my brother and I use consistently in competition. I show demonstrations and display plenty of live examples in actual competition.

If you like the video, please do me favor and bump this thread up with a post and/or like my video and post a comment on youtube. By bumping this thread back up, liking my video on youtube, and/or posting a comment on youtube it helps promote me and my gym so I'd appreciate the help.

I love feedback, so if anybody hits this move in training or in a match, please post some feedback on my facebook page wall at www.facebook.com/MarcosAvellan and "like" my page.

--Marcos Avellan

P.S. For more videos and daily email tips, please subscribe at www.MarcosAvellan.com - just for signing up, you get a couple of cool guard pass drills and setups that will help with this particular technique.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/09/2011 10:54pm

Style: Over substance

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Not to rain on your parade or anything, but that is a fairly basic manouver, so not sure why you are calling it trademarked.
    Also, I think this is the wrong forum for this.
    Last edited by vashanka; 11/09/2011 11:01pm at .

Administrator

Posted On:
    11/10/2011 12:11am

supporting memberhall of famestaff
     Style: Muay Thai & BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by vashanka View Post
    Not to rain on your parade or anything, but that is a fairly basic manouver, so not sure why you are calling it trademarked.
    Also, I think this is the wrong forum for this.
    This pass was being done by the Avellans for quite some time. In fact they were known for it. I remember seeing it back in 2003 first hand. It's been my favorite pass for the longest time. You aren't raining on their parade, the Avellans are superstar grapplers, and those who know, know better.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sifu Rudy Abel
    "Just what makes a pure grappler think he can survive with an experienced striker. Especially if that striker isn't following any particular rule set and is well aware of what the grapplers strategies are".

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/10/2011 12:22am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thank you Pandinha, I appreciate your comments!

Vashanka, I know I didn't really go out and trademark the pass :) It is just an expression. When I was competing, I hit that particular pass at LEAST a hundred times in advanced/pro level grappling competition. It is an extremely basic maneuver - which is what makes its effectiveness even sweeter. At the end of the video, I show a clip of my brother at 22 years old, unranked in BJJ, passing a Rickson black belt's guard six times in a single match with that one basic pass.

Although I got a old sign-up date, I'm a newbie here, so if I'm posting in the wrong forum, my bad! I posted it on the grappling technique forum but it got removed or I screwed up and didn't it post it right, so I tried again and posted it here. Let me know mods, I don't want to be intruding.
    Last edited by Marcos Avellan; 11/10/2011 12:25am at .

Titanium laced beauty

Posted On:
    11/10/2011 1:02am

supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: BJJ, wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Marcos Avellan View Post
    Let me know mods, I don't want to be intruding.
    I moderate the grappling forums. I don't see another recent thread of yours anywhere, even in the moderated section.

You sir, are definitely not intruding.

I will be happy to move this into the grappling forum for you, but I think your thread might get more comments and exposure here.

Thank you for posting. It's an honor.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/10/2011 1:13am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    jnp, thank you very much for your post. I figured I messed up and didn't post it right when trying to post it on the grappling forum, but the "moderated with an iron fist" description intimidated me from trying to post again :) lol

If the thread will get more exposure on this forum, then I'd definitely appreciate to keep it here, thank you. As long as everyone likes the video, I'll keep coming back with a weekly video. Thanks again for your and Pandinho's kind words!

Titanium laced beauty

Posted On:
    11/10/2011 1:25am

supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: BJJ, wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    jnp, thank you very much for your post. I figured I messed up and didn't post it right when trying to post it on the grappling forum, but the "moderated with an iron fist" description intimidated me from trying to post again :) lol
    That rule applies to the average internet white belt sir. It doesn't apply to world class competitors who can teach us all a thing or two.

Feel free to post in that section whenever you want.

Administrator

Posted On:
    11/10/2011 12:48pm

supporting memberhall of famestaff
     Style: Muay Thai & BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Vashanka, I know I didn't really go out and trademark the pass :) It is just an expression. When I was competing, I hit that particular pass at LEAST a hundred times in advanced/pro level grappling competition. It is an extremely basic maneuver - which is what makes its effectiveness even sweeter. At the end of the video, I show a clip of my brother at 22 years old, unranked in BJJ, passing a Rickson black belt's guard six times in a single match with that one basic pass.

Although I got a old sign-up date, I'm a newbie here, so if I'm posting in the wrong forum, my bad! I posted it on the grappling technique forum but it got removed or I screwed up and didn't it post it right, so I tried again and posted it here. Let me know mods, I don't want to be intruding.
    Didn't David hit that pass at the USSD against Rener? I'm pretty sure that was the first time I saw it. What a shock, as Rener was my living BJJ God at the time. Wish I could find all my pics of that competition. Really opened up my eyes to the grappling world outside the little bubble we had at the Gracie Academy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sifu Rudy Abel
    "Just what makes a pure grappler think he can survive with an experienced striker. Especially if that striker isn't following any particular rule set and is well aware of what the grapplers strategies are".

Ad Hominem rocks.

Posted On:
    11/10/2011 1:58pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ, mma

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    This pass is bread-and-butter for me. I honestly can't remember a time when i didnt do it.

Good instructional video though.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/10/2011 11:21pm

Style: Over substance

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

I have found that high level grapplers tend to be humble and down to earth, and so I have come to expect that. I have not been disappointed yet. Thanks for not pouncing on my ignorance.
    Also, please do share more techniques that are:
    a) Easy (I can manage those, most of the time)
    b) Uncomplicated (sometimes I can pull these off)
    c) Effective (this is where I fail)
    Cheers
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast