Heavyweight

Posted On:
    11/05/2011 11:13pm

supporting member
     Style: Kyokushinkai / Kajukenbo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Pat rants about racism in Hawaiian Judo

I'd avoid the Hodokan Judo Club in Manoa Honolulu because they are racist fucks.
    "Preparing mentally, the most important thing is, if you aren't doing it for the love of it, then don't do it." - Benny Urquidez

Posted On:
    11/06/2011 12:14pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I do hope you can back that up with some evidence, because that's a pretty serious accusation to level at someone.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/06/2011 9:05pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I just spent the weekend with Mr Tsubota and his wife as they were in Seattle for a tournament. I have known them for 30 years and have visited the dojo many times.

Prety bold statement, you sure you are a black belt?
    I sugest you delete your post, but what do I know.

Heavyweight

Posted On:
    11/06/2011 11:34pm

supporting member
     Style: Kyokushinkai / Kajukenbo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by judoka_uk View Post
    I do hope you can back that up with some evidence, because that's a pretty serious accusation to level at someone.
    ****, I can't really back it up!

That's what two Ha'ole kids who worked out there said. And their parents who watched classes, tournies and grading claimed. After awhile they pulled their kids out, telling us it really stank. We know them well, good folks - my family has stayed in their house, which is a block from the Japanese Language School / Judo dojo in Manoa several times.

So it won't hold up... But I don't doubt it, having grown up in Honolulu I've seen plenty Japanese racist bullshit - no other immigrant group in Hawaii seems to have spent so much effort bringing in wives from home - they put a lot of energy into remaining Japanese. They imported their own wives because they wouldn't lower themselves by marrying Portuguese or Chinese or Hawaiians like many other immigrants did. They built their own Japanese schools which taught kids in Japanese, by Japanese and for Japanese.

George Airioshi, for instance, three term govenor of Hawaii, hired 43 staff, all Japanese, many of them relatives - he was a crook and scum (read Land and Power in Hawaii: The Democratic Years, and a racist, imho, but then the Chinese are maybe even worse racists. Senator Fong disinherited his daughter, Muffy, a classmate of mine at Punahou, when she married a local Japanese guy. Fong ended up years later having to publically beg for forgiveness when she wouldn't let him near the grandkids.

For example of Japanese racism look at Joe Holk , one of Kajukenbo's founders. He quit going to Japanese language school and went to Honwangji Temple Judo Dojo and asked Sensei if he could join. Because he was of mixed Japanese and Hawaiian descent he was thrown out. Holk had changed his name from Joichi Matsuno because of anti-Japanese racism in the 40's..... He did find a Japanese, Henry Okazaki, who was willing to teach non-Japanese.

But true, I didn't work out with them so if a mod feels it's a shitty post, delete it. I can't.

I do see weird offensive racist **** in Hawaii a lot. And other weird martial arts behavior everywhere. Like the Kenpo bb who entered a tournie run by TMA karateka. When he was getting hit hard one of the browns told me, "That's what he gets for wearing a black gi to our tournament."

I have heard nothing but good stuff about Leeward Judo club, under Kevin Asano (7th dan Olympic Silver '88 President of Hawaii Judo, Inc.(shuda got gold)) and Curtis Morita, (4thd dan).
    Last edited by patfromlogan; 11/07/2011 12:18am at .
    "Preparing mentally, the most important thing is, if you aren't doing it for the love of it, then don't do it." - Benny Urquidez

Posted On:
    11/07/2011 6:12am

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by patfromlogan View Post
    ****, I can't really back it up!
    Mmmm, I suspected as much.

Watch and Shoot !

Posted On:
    11/13/2011 4:27am

staff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Let's drop the anecdotal context of who or what group are racist(s). If there's enough information to warrent a specific thread, Pat, start a new thread in YMAS if it's a general discussion you want or in this forum or MABS if you're looking for a serious look at the issues you've mentioned.

If you want me to move your existing posts and create a new thread let me know otherwise I'm going to cull this thread appropriately.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "To sin by silence when one should protest makes cowards out of men".

~Ella Wheeler

Watch and Shoot !

Posted On:
    11/13/2011 7:04am

staff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    "To sin by silence when one should protest makes cowards out of men".

~Ella Wheeler

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/13/2011 8:52am

Style: Judo/BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Ha'ole: Isn't that a racist name Hawaiians have for white people?

Posted On:
    11/13/2011 10:44am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Just be glad we kicked their asses in WWII.
    "We often joke -- and we really wish it were a joke -- that you will only encounter two basic problems with your 'self-defense' training.
    1) That it doesn't work
    2) That it does work"
    -Animal MacYoung

Posted On:
    11/13/2011 11:07am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
Page 1 of 5 1 2345 LastLast