Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/28/2011 10:06pm

Style: Boxing and No Gi BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Not looking the part...AT ALL.

My amateur debut is on the 22nd Oct and I look as non-frigtening as a boxer could possible look. Intimidation factor is nada/nil/zero. Weighing in at 106 pounds (45kg) at 5'5 (165cm) and having no visible muscle at all no matter how hard I flex, I realize my hopes of looking impressive in a month is very thin.

My goal, therefore, is only to look remotely decent on the night and be at a healthy weight and size (all the health physcians that I have been to in my life have said that I was wayyyy too thin, even if I was an ectomorph).

Right now, I go to boxing three times a week, two hours a session. A class usually consists of:

6x rounds of skipping (around 20 minutes)
    5km run (around 30 minutes)
    3 x 3 minutes of sparring
    2 x 3 minutes of padwork
    6 x 3 bagwork
    40 push ups
    75 sit ups

I can adequately perform all the following- cardio is not an issue here but power is of course a little lacking. Since, I have access to a boxing gym containing full weights equipment that I can use from 10am-8pm daily, I consider it a waste if I don't try it out! Thing is, I have no idea what routine to set myself (I could ask the other gym members on how to use the equipment)!

Any suggestions? Just for the record, I am eating and sleeping healthly (3 meals a day eaten at regular time periods. Fruits and vegetables thrown in. Little to no snacks. Sleeping for at least seven hours each night).

PLEASE HELP :disgusted:

Yes, I am smarter than you are.

Posted On:
    9/28/2011 10:43pm

supporting memberstaff
     Style: TKD, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Add weight lifting. Talk to your coach for specifics, but a good place to start is Stronglifts 5x5 or Starting Strength.
    Of course, you'll probably go up a couple of weightclasses if you do it right. Putting on 15lbs of muscle will do you good though.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/29/2011 4:31am

Style: JJJ/BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If you want to get bigger, you'll want to up the amount you're eating as well.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/29/2011 4:40am

Style: Thaiboxing; MMA nb

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Kintanon View Post
    Putting on 15lbs of muscle will do you good though.
    Captain Obvious here: this is not going to happen in a month, of course.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    9/29/2011 6:13am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Kyokushin/Judo/MT

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Katriona1992 View Post
    Any suggestions? Just for the record, I am eating and sleeping healthly (3 meals a day eaten at regular time periods. Fruits and vegetables thrown in. Little to no snacks. Sleeping for at least seven hours each night).
    Why no snacks? When I was training for tournaments I would graze all day otherwise I would find that I wouldn't have enough energy for all the training.

Posted On:
    10/03/2011 2:49am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: BJJ/Boxing/Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Weight lifting, strength conditioning, and eating more, about six meals a day. Pack lots of protein too if you are trying to gain muscle, which, I am sure you are. Also, if you don't have weights, ghetto workouts are your friend. Pull ups, push ups, and using tires are a pretty good way to increase upper body strength, you can use tires for lower body as well and use them for walking lunges and tire runs and what not. Going out an buying a cheap bench press set and some dumbells wouldn't be that bad of an idea too. If you don't know any workouts, youtube it, that's how I got started when I got interested in all of this. Going to a mcgym isn't that bad of an idea too, Fitness 19, where I have an account, is only like 5 bucks a month if you are a college student.

Posted On:
    10/03/2011 4:34pm

Style: Does exercise count?

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Aesthetics (important or not) are a poor choice to focus on while leading up to a fight. Gaining muscle mass will almost certainly increase weight and has the potential to increase demands on your cardiovascular system.

Pick your goal and do it well rather than trying to do everything at once poorly.

Posted On:
    10/24/2011 10:27am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Muay Thai - BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Katriona1992 View Post
    Intimidation factor is nada/nil/zero. Weighing in at 106 pounds (45kg) at 5'5 (165cm) and having no visible muscle at all no matter how hard I flex, I realize my hopes of looking impressive in a month is very thin.
    I wouldn't think too hard about it if I were you.
    You mentioned that you're still lacking power, so work on that before you worry about cosmetics.
    Your opponent will be intimidated enough while you're punching out all of his blood.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    10/24/2011 3:32pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: NinBuKai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Kibosh_Malarkey View Post
    I wouldn't think too hard about it if I were you.
    You mentioned that you're still lacking power, so work on that before you worry about cosmetics.
    Your opponent will be intimidated enough while you're punching out all of his blood.
    Psst, his bout was two days ago.

Speaking of which how did it go, Katriona1992?

Posted On:
    10/24/2011 5:36pm

Join us... or die
     Style: comparison shopping

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Psst Katriona is a girl's name
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast