221253 Bullies, 3976 online  
  • Register
Our Sponsors:

Results 1 to 10 of 41
Page 1 of 5 1 2345 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image
  1. hpr is offline
    hpr's Avatar

    Knock-off Cthulhu

    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Helsinki / Finland
    Posts
    2,181

    Posted On:
    10/16/2011 10:51am


     Style: BJJ

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

    Boxing HW division after Klitschko era

    So, all you boxing nerds around here, a question for you from the uninitiated.

    What will happen to HW division after Klitschko era?

    As I'm a Finn you probably guess my newfound enthusiasm to boxing, but beyond the Super Klitschko bros., Helenius and Evander Holyfield I don't know anything about the current age HW boxers. I skimmed the boxrec forums, which seem to consist mainly of sighing and longing after golden days of past.

    You guys see Helenius as a real prospect to get his hands on a real title one day? If not him then someone else active right now? Or do you see some Jon Jonesque young new superstar in the horizon?
    Curiosity killed the cat. But damn it had a blast.
  2. MMAMickey is offline
    MMAMickey's Avatar

    POWERRR!

    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    England
    Posts
    2,744

    Posted On:
    10/16/2011 11:14am

    Join us... or die
     Style: Boxing.MMA

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    In my opinion, Haye was the one who had a chance at bringing back a spark to the heavyweight division, and obviously that didn't happen.

    No other heavyweights could make me part with my cash..
    "The hero and the coward both feel the same thing, but the hero projects his fear onto his opponent while the coward runs. 'Fear'. It's the same thing, but it's what you do with it that matters". - Cus D'Amato
    Spoiler:

  3. hpr is offline
    hpr's Avatar

    Knock-off Cthulhu

    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Helsinki / Finland
    Posts
    2,181

    Posted On:
    10/16/2011 11:22am


     Style: BJJ

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by MMAMickey View Post
    In my opinion, Haye was the one who had a chance at bringing back a spark to the heavyweight division, and obviously that didn't happen.

    No other heavyweights could make me part with my cash..
    I actually watched the Haye fight and was pretty damn underwhelmed. If that was your top prospect then after Klitchko's are gone it's like kids playing while adults are away..
    Curiosity killed the cat. But damn it had a blast.
  4. Tranquil Suit is online now
    Tranquil Suit's Avatar

    On hiatus

    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    3,491

    Posted On:
    10/16/2011 11:23am

    supporting member
     

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Basically it's all over for now. Have I mentioned Kimbo Slice yet?

    (tab) Forum > Forum Actions > General Settings > in Thread Display Options > Number of Posts to Show Per Page: 40
  5. MMAMickey is offline
    MMAMickey's Avatar

    POWERRR!

    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    England
    Posts
    2,744

    Posted On:
    10/16/2011 11:52am

    Join us... or die
     Style: Boxing.MMA

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by hpr View Post
    I actually watched the Haye fight and was pretty damn underwhelmed. If that was your top prospect then after Klitchko's are gone it's like kids playing while adults are away..
    Yeah once he hit heavyweight Haye stopped being as interesting, I guess he had too much to lose; still, as a prospect he was a ton more interesting than the lumbering Klitschkos.

    They're big and they win, but they're not even remotely interesting as fighters imo. What the division needs is another Mike Tyson-esque fighter. Someone who would be the physical underdog but cause massive finishes.
    "The hero and the coward both feel the same thing, but the hero projects his fear onto his opponent while the coward runs. 'Fear'. It's the same thing, but it's what you do with it that matters". - Cus D'Amato
    Spoiler:

  6. hpr is offline
    hpr's Avatar

    Knock-off Cthulhu

    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Helsinki / Finland
    Posts
    2,181

    Posted On:
    10/16/2011 12:07pm


     Style: BJJ

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by MMAMickey View Post
    Yeah once he hit heavyweight Haye stopped being as interesting, I guess he had too much to lose; still, as a prospect he was a ton more interesting than the lumbering Klitschkos.

    They're big and they win, but they're not even remotely interesting as fighters imo. What the division needs is another Mike Tyson-esque fighter. Someone who would be the physical underdog but cause massive finishes.
    Yeah -- I've been watching videos of Klitschko's and known about their reputation before. Not very entertaining so far.

    I guess the silver lining could be that if all those complaints about the current level of HW division are true and not just the general "when I was young the street were paved with gold and it rained champaign" there should be plenty of room for someone a bit smaller with real skills and speed to operate. :P
    Curiosity killed the cat. But damn it had a blast.
  7. MMAMickey is offline
    MMAMickey's Avatar

    POWERRR!

    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    England
    Posts
    2,744

    Posted On:
    10/16/2011 12:12pm

    Join us... or die
     Style: Boxing.MMA

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by hpr View Post
    Yeah -- I've been watching videos of Klitschko's and known about their reputation before. Not very entertaining so far.

    I guess the silver lining could be that if all those complaints about the current level of HW division are true and not just the general "when I was young the street were paved with gold and it rained champaign" there should be plenty of room for someone a bit smaller with real skills and speed to operate. :P
    In fairness, I'm only 21. I don't have any nostalgia, just a hobby of watching old fights. From what I've seen the fighters used to be more active and entertaining; coincidentally they also used to be lighter.

    Whether true or not, it seems that Boxers have gotten 'too big' in some respects.
    "The hero and the coward both feel the same thing, but the hero projects his fear onto his opponent while the coward runs. 'Fear'. It's the same thing, but it's what you do with it that matters". - Cus D'Amato
    Spoiler:

  8. OZZ is offline
    OZZ's Avatar

    Light Heavyweight

    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    London,Ontario Canada
    Posts
    3,221

    Posted On:
    10/16/2011 12:22pm

    supporting member
     Style: Short Fist Boxing

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Boxing fans will have to wait for a genuinely talented / charismatic HW to come along again.
    The sooner it happens, the better. Or else when the Klitschko brothers are gone the HW division will resemble the mess it was during the Witherspoon/Holmes/Berbick era.

    My advice - watch the other weight classes. The fights are better anyways.
    Heavyweights bore me for the most part.
    " If one wants to have a friend one must also want to wage war for him: and to wage war one must be capable of being an enemy." - Fr. Nietzsche 'On The Friend' Thus Spake Zarathustra
  9. hpr is offline
    hpr's Avatar

    Knock-off Cthulhu

    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Helsinki / Finland
    Posts
    2,181

    Posted On:
    10/16/2011 12:39pm


     Style: BJJ

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by OZZ View Post
    My advice - watch the other weight classes. The fights are better anyways. Heavyweights bore me for the most part.
    Like I originally stated my interest in boxing is currently pretty much related to seeing how well Helenius fares and by proxy what happens in the HW division. Finnish boxers having any impact in the bigger picture is pretty rare. The last olympic medal is from 1992, a bronze by Jyri Kjäll IIRC and the last (and only) time a Finnish boxer has been in a world championship bout was in 1962 when Olli Mäki lost to Davey Moore.

    But disregarding my original reasons you're probably correct. It's the same thing in MMA after all - you're more likely to see exciting matches in the lower weight divisions.
    Curiosity killed the cat. But damn it had a blast.
  10. OZZ is offline
    OZZ's Avatar

    Light Heavyweight

    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    London,Ontario Canada
    Posts
    3,221

    Posted On:
    10/16/2011 1:18pm

    supporting member
     Style: Short Fist Boxing

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    When I think of Fin athletes, I think of hockey players, skiiers, strongman competitors.
    What's the pro circuit for boxing like over there ? Are there fights in cities like Helsinki a few times a year or are pro fights more localized to areas where there is significant interest ..so-called 'boxing towns' , like we have here ?
    " If one wants to have a friend one must also want to wage war for him: and to wage war one must be capable of being an enemy." - Fr. Nietzsche 'On The Friend' Thus Spake Zarathustra
Page 1 of 5 1 2345 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Powered by vBulletin™© contact@vbulletin.com vBulletin Solutions, Inc. 2011 All rights reserved.