FMA

Posted On:
    10/09/2011 10:07pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Jall View Post

• Some footage of Inosanto teaching JKD

• English

If you'd have read the forum rules and stickies you would know to do more than just post a video. Why are you posting the vid? What's your point? Why should we care? Are you making fun of the clip or do you like it?

The clip you've linked is from the documentary "The Way of the Warrior". There's also a book based on the documentary both of which are worth checking out. IMO it's a great documentary which features many martial arts styles throughout the world before these types of films were popular like today's shows. I appreciate what Inosanto say's in the clip and it seems to make sense to me. Of course, I've always wondered how much live training he practiced.

Quote Originally Posted by MuayThaiBri67 View Post
    Sorry but the late Ted Wong represented JKD much more then Inosanto
    The OP is partially to blame for your stupid post. I in no way gathered that the OP was inferring that Inosanto represented JKD more or less than Wong so why do you apologize unless you're just a smug a-hole? You come off as a "know it all" and what I call a "one upper" in this post which comes off really douchey per se'.

Registered Member

Style: 
    MMA

Posted On:
    10/10/2011 4:49am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by jspeedy View Post

The OP is partially to blame for your stupid post. I in no way gathered that the OP was inferring that Inosanto represented JKD more or less than Wong so why do you apologize unless you're just a smug a-hole? You come off as a "know it all" and what I call a "one upper" in this post which comes off really douchey per se'.
    Remember when pointing your finger at someone there are three more pointing back at you :happy:

Registered Member

Style: 
    MMA: (kick)boxing,BJJ,SG

Posted On:
    10/10/2011 8:52am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Dan Inosanto JKD

@JSpeedy

Actually all there is to it is I thought it was an interesting vid and I figured I'd share it. If you're that keen to know my opinion about it I think it's a great video that introduces JKD's principles, and illustrates an important development in martial arts.
    Thanks for referring to the documentary by the way, I'll be sure to check it out.

P.S. I was not aware of the rules regarding the posting of videos, I apologise for that.

Middleweight

Style: 
    TKD/ BJJ/Kickboxing

Posted On:
    10/12/2011 8:26pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Dan Inosanto JKD

Good video for those of us who know very little about JKD.

Registered Member

Style: 
    Shorin Ryu

Posted On:
    10/13/2011 4:45am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I trained at an Inosanto lineage gym in the mid-90s (here: http://www.jeet-kune-do.info/) and it never really sat quite right with me for some reason.

It was taught as a street-style art (head butts and eye-gouges cropped up very early on, along with illustrations of techniques for throwing someone through a plate glass window or in front of a bus), which I didn't really mind, but I didn't feel like the techniques and drills would be that effective if you came up against someone who had good speed and technique. There were a lot of trapping and interception drills and a lot of punch-catching. I was training boxing at the same time and for a lot of the drills I was thinking "there's no way you could trap/catch a boxer's punch like that". Eventually I got to a point where I needed to choose between the JKD or the boxing for time reasons and I went with the boxing.

I'd be interested to hear if anyone's done any Inosanto JKD for a decent length of time and whether the style of teaching is common across the whole organisation. I've occasionally wondered whether the impatience of youth and the desire to concentrate on boxing with it's hard training and full-contact sparring meant I missed out on learning an effective art in JKD.

Style: 
    Trad Ju Jitsu

Posted On:
    10/23/2011 11:21am

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Dan Inosanto JKD

This is from the BBC series, "The Way of the Warrior" from the early 1980s. I have a complete copy somewhere. It's never been released by the BBC and I think it's partly owing to the unexpected death of Jim Elkin, who featured in the Aikido-Kendo episode. He was also head of the (UK) Martial Arts Commission (now defunct). The Wing Chun sequence feature Simon Lau, in his original kwoon in Camden Town, London. It was in a church in Albany Street. Anyway, I thought some of you might want to know that. Cheers.