233535 Bullies, 3570 online  
  • Register
Our Sponsors:

Results 1 to 10 of 26
Page 1 of 3 1 23 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image
  1. Auszi is offline

    Registered Member

    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    433

    Posted On:
    9/13/2011 2:26am


     Style: BJJ Beginner

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

    Cheap temporary alternatives for a Gi?

    HI guys,

    I really want to be training BJJ/Wrestling a lot more regularly but as I am unemployed and studying, I cant really afford more than one gi. Since I will be training between 4 -5 times a week.

    I cant be wearing the same gi or clothes every day. I sweat like a monster. Since I am doing wrestling and BJJ, I thought someone might have a temporary alternative idea, till I get some cash to buy the right stuff. My BJJ instructor is cool with me wearing whatever just as long as I come along.

    I was wearing just a cotton t-shirt and short Thai fishermans pants but I got major mat burn which really hampered training.

    I was thinking that others have probably been in this position before.

    I am in Perth, Australia, so there is no real cheap Gi options.
  2. Rene "Zendokan" Gysenbergs is offline
    Rene "Zendokan" Gysenbergs's Avatar

    fist first Philosopher

    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Sanctuary of Pallas Athena (Belgium)
    Posts
    2,667

    Posted On:
    9/13/2011 2:56am

    Join us... or die
     Style: Savate (LBF/SD/LC) - BJJ

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Judo gi's!

    If you know someone who is training Judo, it can become even cheaper. A lot of clubs have good deals through their NGB worldwide for cheap Judo gi's, especially if you buy single-weaven Judo gi's instead of the competition gi's.

    For example: here a BJJ gi is from €80 to €180, while a competition Judo gi is €80 and the cheap whites ones through a club is €50.
    But wash the cheap whites in cold water (washmachine) and don't throw them into a tumbler dryer or you can give them to your 12y old cousin.

    Hope that this helps.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jiujitsu77
    You know you are crazy about BJJ/Martial arts when...
    Quote Originally Posted by Humanzee
    ...your books on Kama Sutra and BJJ are interchangeable.
    Quote Originally Posted by jk55299 on Keysi Fighting Method
    It looks like this is a great fighting method if someone replaces your shampoo with superglue.
    The real deadly:
  3. Auszi is offline

    Registered Member

    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    433

    Posted On:
    9/13/2011 3:05am


     Style: BJJ Beginner

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Cheers Zendo, good idea.

    Unfortunately I dont know anyone learning Judo. I will give the local Judo club a call, see what they say.

    When I said cheap, I was thinking like Kmart cheap, I was going to duck down to the local shopping centre and see if they had any long sleeve, sports shirts or something like that with a bit of weight just to get me through the next few months.
  4. Auszi is offline

    Registered Member

    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    433

    Posted On:
    9/13/2011 3:36am


     Style: BJJ Beginner

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Just rang the Judo club. I can get a Judo gi for 60 -65 AUD (depends on how many I buy) = €50
  5. Rene "Zendokan" Gysenbergs is offline
    Rene "Zendokan" Gysenbergs's Avatar

    fist first Philosopher

    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Sanctuary of Pallas Athena (Belgium)
    Posts
    2,667

    Posted On:
    9/13/2011 3:47am

    Join us... or die
     Style: Savate (LBF/SD/LC) - BJJ

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The first two years that I did BJJ and Judo, I only wore these ones.
    The cut is a little different:
    - the jackets are a little bit longer to prevent them from being pulled out from underneath the belt
    - the opening of the sleeves is a little bit bigger, because it's illegal to grap in the sleeves with Judo.
    but all by all a great alternative for BJJ gi's if you need more than one and are on a budget.

    I kept the expensive gi's for competition only.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jiujitsu77
    You know you are crazy about BJJ/Martial arts when...
    Quote Originally Posted by Humanzee
    ...your books on Kama Sutra and BJJ are interchangeable.
    Quote Originally Posted by jk55299 on Keysi Fighting Method
    It looks like this is a great fighting method if someone replaces your shampoo with superglue.
    The real deadly:
  6. jnp is offline
    jnp's Avatar

    Titanium laced beauty

    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Austin, TX
    Posts
    8,242

    Posted On:
    9/13/2011 11:04am

    supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: BJJ, wrestling

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Auszi View Post
    HI guys,

    I really want to be training BJJ/Wrestling a lot more regularly but as I am unemployed and studying, I cant really afford more than one gi. Since I will be training between 4 -5 times a week.

    I cant be wearing the same gi or clothes every day. I sweat like a monster. Since I am doing wrestling and BJJ, I thought someone might have a temporary alternative idea, till I get some cash to buy the right stuff. My BJJ instructor is cool with me wearing whatever just as long as I come along.

    I was wearing just a cotton t-shirt and short Thai fishermans pants but I got major mat burn which really hampered training.

    I was thinking that others have probably been in this position before.

    I am in Perth, Australia, so there is no real cheap Gi options.
    Q: What does this have to do with martial fighting technique?

    A: Nothing.

    Then why the heck did you post it in a technique forum? It's quite simple really, if the subject of your thread has nothing to do with technique, then don't post it in the technical areas.
  7. Permalost is offline
    Permalost's Avatar

    pro nonsense self defense

    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    San Diego
    Posts
    12,683

    Posted On:
    9/13/2011 11:07am

    supporting member
     Style: FMA, dumbek, Indian clubs

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    My eskrima instructor was telling me that back when he was training karate in the PI when he was a young man, they made gis out of rice sacs, so the inside of their gis had the rice brand all over. Said they were actually sturdier than the manufactured gis they could get.
  8. Auszi is offline

    Registered Member

    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    433

    Posted On:
    9/13/2011 11:20am


     Style: BJJ Beginner

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by jnp View Post
    Q: What does this have to do with martial fighting technique?

    A: Nothing.

    Then why the heck did you post it in a technique forum? It's quite simple really, if the subject of your thread has nothing to do with technique, then don't post it in the technical areas.
    These two threads are in the basic technique forum:

    http://www.bullshido.net/forums/showthread.php?t=75871

    http://www.bullshido.net/forums/showthread.php?t=108682

    Which is why I posted it there.

    Thanks again Zendo, I will probably get a pair the next few days.

    And Permalost, I lack the tailoring skills to produce something like that, I could just rock up in a sack, arms cut out, dont know how that would go down though.
  9. Zod is offline

    Registered Member

    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Baltimore
    Posts
    182

    Posted On:
    9/13/2011 11:38am


     Style: Weight Lifting,Combatives

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Do you know someone with a sewing machine? Gi's seem like they're a super simple pattern.
  10. jspeedy is online now
    jspeedy's Avatar

    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Orlando, FL
    Posts
    1,663

    Posted On:
    9/13/2011 1:40pm


     Style: FMA

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If you can't buy a GI barter for one with someone in your club. One of the guys is bound to have an old one around they don't need or use. Trade something for it or offer to do some work; car wash, mow lawns, ect.
Page 1 of 3 1 23 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Powered by vBulletin™© contact@vbulletin.com vBulletin Solutions, Inc. 2011 All rights reserved.