Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/30/2011 6:29pm

Style: Koei Kan Karatedo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Bogu

Bogu: how many styles practice armor sparring?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/31/2011 11:04am

Style: TSD, Karate & Kickboxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You mean like jukendo, naginatajutsu, and sojutsu?

They're listed on wiki :)

Or are you asking a different question?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/31/2011 1:09pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Kinda like that but without weapons and stronger head gear.

pro nonsense self defense

Posted On:
    8/31/2011 1:29pm

supporting member
     Style: FMA, dumbek, Indian clubs

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I've done continuous sparring with a thick bogu, and later with a thin one for sanshou, but we wore regular boxing headgear. Personally I preferred the thinner sanshou one, because it offered some protection without limiting my mobility or ability to feel strikes. I've also done stickfighting in a WEKAF padded jacket and landed some solid kicks that were well felt (the armor doesn't do much against kicking).

Posted On:
    8/31/2011 3:39pm

Style: Kendo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Cobbs001 View Post
    Kinda like that but without weapons and stronger head gear.
    You want to punch someone with stronger head gear than a titanium face cage? I bow before your awesome knuckles.

Posted On:
    8/31/2011 3:56pm

Style: BBT/BJJ/CJKD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Cobbs001 View Post
    Bogu: how many styles practice armor sparring?
    Cobbs001, could you provide a little more info about your interest in this question? It might help focus the answers.

What do you mean by "armor sparring?" Are you talking about sparring with any kind of padding, sparring with kendo-style Bogu for protection, or something different?

And I don't think anyone knows where this is leading. Is there something specific about sparring in armor that you want to know, or are you literally just trying to count the number of systems that use padding/armor? (Although I don't know what good that info would do you.)

pro nonsense self defense

Posted On:
    8/31/2011 4:14pm

supporting member
     Style: FMA, dumbek, Indian clubs

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I assume this means armor as in protection for the body, as opposed to historical recreation style sparring that wear actual historically accurate armor (Japanese and European styles). Anyway, here's my thoughts on it:when I started doing choy li fut, this was the only kind of sparring we did. Thick chest protectors, and lots of drilling hard kicks and punches on kicking shields. You could really lay into the chest protector, and you had to for it to really do anything. The problem was that was a recipe for some great rock-em sock-em robot action, where the focus of sparring was to drive forward and wail on the opponent's abdomen, and your own chest protector and a lack of head contact (ugh) made you not too concerned about defense (and our sparring drills focused on offense anyway). Anyway, eventually after years of doing that, we started incorporating sanshou rules, with head contact, leg kicks and thinner torso protection, and a lot of people had to break a lot of bad habits. Charging in at someone with continuous strikes to the torso is a strategy easily defeated with continuous strikes to the head. Since then, those of us that still have the thick chest protectors just use them for drilling or teaching (I've been teaching my girlfriend how to kick, and using it as her target).

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/31/2011 6:30pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yep it was Bogu Kumite kinda like wha Permalost described. I have been debating that whenever I bogu I would only use my chest protecter and wanted to know if it was a good idea and not lead to bad habits. Also since no one can bogu every week I chose not to use the thing during freestyle jiyu kumite.

Posted On:
    9/02/2011 9:14pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Kenkojuku Karate, Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I wouldn't want to always spar that way 100% of the time, but bogu kumite seems like a really good idea to me.

Some people often like to go on about how hard it is to stop an attacker who is swimming in adrenaline... well there you go. The bogu makes it so they have no fear of being fully aggressive and aren't stopped by pain. If you want to repel them it has to be by sheer stopping power.

Posted On:
    9/26/2011 5:17am

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Bogu is great as long is it isn't the only form of sparring you do. Lots of rock em sock em robot actions, little defense. It can be good to take off the gear and worry about actually avoiding some punches. My two cents.