Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/20/2011 2:32am

Style: Boxing and No Gi BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

My Younger Sister's First Spar...

...is happening in a weeks time.

Initially, my reaction was to grab the nearest bowl of pop corn and record down this historical moment for our family....until I actually saw her opponent and nearly fainted.

My little sister stands 5"4 and is 16 years old. She has two months of experience. Why on earth she is getting paired up with a university student 6"0 tall and 21 years old (and hence much more developed) and with two years of boxerxise experience is beyond me. Sure, its not real boxing (e.g. pads were held stationary for her, she has no real competition experience and never has been in any form of contact sparring before), but the odds are still stacked against my little sister's favour. To make matters worse, the original 1 round of 2 minute has been changed to 2 rounds of 2.

I believe that her coach has his reasons for making this match up and part of me realizes that I am being a bit overconcerned. Her coach has also started preparing her for the spar. My little sister is planning to get on the inside as fast as possible and then stick to her opponent like glue, all the while throwing hooks, until the end of the ordeal since her opponent has longer reach and she is proficient in jabbing.

I came here asking for advice- what would you encourage your younger sibling to do? would you help her prepare and encourage her or try to stop the spar from actually happening?

Cheers!

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/20/2011 2:35am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

My Younger Sister's First Spar...

...is happening in a weeks time.

Initially, my reaction was to grab the nearest bowl of pop corn and record down this historical moment for our family....until I actually saw her opponent and nearly fainted.

My little sister stands 5"4 and is 16 years old. She has two months of experience. Why on earth she is getting paired up with a university student 6"0 tall and 21 years old (and hence much more developed) and with two years of boxerxise experience is beyond me. Sure, its not real boxing (e.g. pads were held stationary for her, she has no real competition experience and never has been in any form of contact sparring before), but the odds are still stacked against my little sister's favour. To make matters worse, the original 1 round of 2 minute has been changed to 2 rounds of 2.

I believe that her coach has his reasons for making this match up and part of me realizes that I am being a bit overconcerned. Her coach has also started preparing her for the spar. My little sister is planning to get on the inside as fast as possible and then stick to her opponent like glue, all the while throwing hooks, until the end of the ordeal since her opponent has longer reach and she is proficient in jabbing.

I came here asking for advice- what would you encourage your younger sibling to do? would you help her prepare and encourage her or try to stop the spar from actually happening?

Cheers!

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/20/2011 4:04am

Style: xBJJ xTKD ninpo nusubito

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    give her an early dose: spar her yourself. do not go on full-blow (but not half-assed either), but pounce on her openings and make her aware of them. make her learn how to cover herself and make her realize her potential of sustained action against an opponent who has the advantage. if she gives gives up just with this, make her realize that she will be in no condition to go against someone like the one you mentioned.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/20/2011 4:57am

Style: punch on artist

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Spar with her and just focus on getting her to keep her eyes open and unflinching. Dont hit her too hard or too much too soon, she'll only be more gunshy. When you turn on the pressure and see her cover up and look away or down or eyes shut keep punching her lightly and tell her to stop it then when she is looking again tell her to assert herself. If you want..
    Its only sparring maybe this is your trainers way of seeing what he is working with.
    (edit) also use your jab in sparring so she can get some idea of what to do with it. Not alot of time for improvement but thats my 2cents anyway.
    Last edited by jdempsey; 8/20/2011 5:42am at .

Posted On:
    8/20/2011 7:40am

Style: mma

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    First time is always going to nervewracking, but we have all had to go through it.
    OP Are you worried about her getting hurt or just defeated?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/20/2011 8:36am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by doofaloofa View Post
    First time is always going to nervewracking, but we have all had to go through it.
    OP Are you worried about her getting hurt or just defeated?
    Both. I am worried that she will be injured for obvious reasons (I know that it is inevitable for her to get bruises and minor gashes along the way but I really do not want to see her get a concussion) and I don't want her to lose very badly either. I know that her chance of actually winning is tiny to moot (like duh) but I want her to at least last a good minute or two prior to giving up. In short, I've seen alot of people who get beaten up really badly during their first spar leave and never come back and I don't want my sibling to become one of them.

Posted On:
    8/20/2011 8:57am

Style: mma

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Katriona1992 View Post
    Both. I am worried that she will be injured for obvious reasons (I know that it is inevitable for her to get bruises and minor gashes along the way but I really do not want to see her get a concussion) and I don't want her to lose very badly either. I know that her chance of actually winning is tiny to moot (like duh) but I want her to at least last a good minute or two prior to giving up. In short, I've seen alot of people who get beaten up really badly during their first spar leave and never come back and I don't want my sibling to become one of them.
    Well if the coach is sending her into a meat grinder then IMO he's a dick and I'd find a new one. You know better than me if he is a dick or not. But dont intervene too much or your little siter will pissed off with you

For me sparing is for practice so there is no need to kick the other fighters arse, or get mine kicked, so maybe agree on a level of violence that suits both parties. These things are meant to be enjoyable after all

One way I diffuse a good kicking from a sparring partner I am not familiar with, is to say to them before the bout start, 'It would be easy to hurt me, but hard to impress me.'

Also, a good strong guard will give her a place of relative safety to fall back to if the fight does get all hot and heavy

My final point is, I dont know much and I'm sure the real experts will give you way better advice when they read your thread
    Tell your sister good luck and win or loose she's a boxer...be proud!

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    8/20/2011 2:35pm

supporting member
     Style: judo hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    She's obviously giving up a lot of reach and experience. Coach probably put her with her partner knowing that he'd take care of her.

How's her close in game?

Can she work angles?

Given the height difference, if he proceeds to beat on her, accidental low blows are recommended.
    Last edited by hungryjoe; 8/20/2011 2:38pm at .

Posted On:
    8/20/2011 4:53pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    16 years old eh?

I'll be her first 'spar'.

:aintthatsomeshit:

Enforcer of Northeast Anti-Silliness Department Inc.

Posted On:
    8/20/2011 5:00pm

supporting member
     Style: Kaju, BJJ, Judo, Kempo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I don't understand the OP's point. What does it matter if her partner is a 6'5" professional MMA fighter, or is a 5' elderly woman? It's sparring not a sanctioned bout. Unless I'm missing something here, I think Katriona doesn't know what the purpose of sparring is, or even worse, her sisters instructor doesn't know what sparring is.
    Knowing is not enough, you must apply...
    ...Willing is not enough you must do
    ~Bruce Lee

Page 1 of 3 1 23 LastLast