218284 Bullies, 9319 online  
  • Register
Our Sponsors:

Page 1 of 3 1 23 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Has entered Barovia...

Achievements:
    Three FriendsYour first Group1 year registered10000 Experience PointsTagger Second Class

Posted On:
    8/15/2011 7:13pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Supplementation

Hi,

Long story short, I am looking for a new supplement that helps me with my newly increased weight and cardio training.

Had been taking something that to my utmost horror turned out to be an oral steroid, and so next time I go to the weightlifter shop I am not gonna take something blindly just because I like the cover on the pill box.

I am just looking for the usual nutritional supplement, like protein pills, or something, but I find myself utterly lost with all the stuff that is on sale.

Anything in particular that I should look to buy?

Thanks,

Rafe

Has entered Barovia...

Achievements:
    Three FriendsYour first Group1 year registered10000 Experience PointsTagger Second Class

Posted On:
    8/16/2011 11:26am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    *Knock knock.*

pro nonsense self defense

Achievements:
    10000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Awards:
    Activity Champion

Posted On:
    8/16/2011 11:30am

supporting member
     Style: FMA, dumbek, Indian clubs

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I think you'll need some specifics for a decent answer here.

Has entered Barovia...

Achievements:

Posted On:
    8/16/2011 11:44am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Sorry, I am not sure I understand.

I would simply like which of the many products that promise faster muscle gains is effective and not detrimental to health on the long term.

I previously did two circles of superdrol at a friend's behest, and, after finding some strange side effects, gathered some information and found that it is really a steroid sold as a prohormon.

Now, as to what I use the supplement for, well, recovery after weightlifting. :)

Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Posted On:
    8/16/2011 12:51pm

Style: Does exercise count?

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    1. Enough food with enough protein to help you recover. Don't get too hung up on numbers. The old 1g/lb formula is good enough to shoot for, but you can manage with a good deal less. You can add protein powder if you like. The whey and casein are the most researched so get one of those or a blend.
    2. Creatine Monohydrate. It's very well researched and safe. 5g/day like any other daily supplement. Don't worry about "loading".

Ignore everything else unless you plan on taking steroids.

If you REALLY just want to be taking more things for no real reason, beta-alanine has some positive effects in endurance athletes for long duration exercise bouts, but unless you're going well over an hour I don't see any reason to spend more money. BCAA's also can potentially be helpful with recovery, but if you're eating adequate protein anyway it's unlikely they'll do anything since you're already getting that stuff in your diet.

Achievements:
    3 months registered

Posted On:
    8/16/2011 7:27pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: BJJ & CSW

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Gypsy Jazz View Post
    1. Enough food with enough protein to help you recover. Don't get too hung up on numbers. The old 1g/lb formula is good enough to shoot for, but you can manage with a good deal less. You can add protein powder if you like. The whey and casein are the most researched so get one of those or a blend.
    2. Creatine Monohydrate. It's very well researched and safe. 5g/day like any other daily supplement. Don't worry about "loading".

Ignore everything else unless you plan on taking steroids.

If you REALLY just want to be taking more things for no real reason, beta-alanine has some positive effects in endurance athletes for long duration exercise bouts, but unless you're going well over an hour I don't see any reason to spend more money. BCAA's also can potentially be helpful with recovery, but if you're eating adequate protein anyway it's unlikely they'll do anything since you're already getting that stuff in your diet.
    This.

Very few supplements have any real effect. Creatine monohydrate has a ton of good research behind it, but even that may not have much effect if you already get a lot of creatine in your diet (e.g., you lots of beef). Protein powder is good if you need a convenient way to get your daily protein intake up, but whole food protein is just as good.

No supplement is a magic bullet. Diet, training, and recovery (including sleep) will account for 95-99% of your gains. Supplements will cover the other 1-5%.

Fish oil also has some good research behind it for general health benefits, and I recommend it if you're investing in supplememnts. But it won't directly help your training.

Has entered Barovia...

Achievements:

Posted On:
    8/18/2011 3:22pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thank you very much!

Followed your adice, got me creatine monohydrate (pills, for better dosage).

Now, my question would be very broad again:

How do I handle circles, and how should I train in the pauses between the circling?

Achievements:
    1 year registered5000 Experience PointsTagger Second Class

Posted On:
    8/18/2011 3:46pm

Style: Judo & BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Other things to consider: fish oil and vitamin D. Everyone should take these, not just athletes. The fish oil is important if you like your joints and heart. Vitamin D has a host of benefits. There's also some advantage to taking a liquid protein + sugar supplement post workout (or maybe even during workout). It helps recovery. Notice that these are all basically food.

5g creatine/day is a ton. That's really a loading protocol. It doesn't matter -- you'll piss the excess out -- but drink a lot of water.

By circles do you mean cycles?

Has entered Barovia...

Achievements:

Posted On:
    8/18/2011 3:55pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thank you!

:) Indeed, cycles. Sorry, me no Engrish.

Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Posted On:
    8/18/2011 7:12pm

Style: Does exercise count?

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Res Judicata View Post
    Other things to consider: fish oil and vitamin D. Everyone should take these, not just athletes. The fish oil is important if you like your joints and heart. Vitamin D has a host of benefits. There's also some advantage to taking a liquid protein + sugar supplement post workout (or maybe even during workout). It helps recovery. Notice that these are all basically food.

5g creatine/day is a ton. That's really a loading protocol. It doesn't matter -- you'll piss the excess out -- but drink a lot of water.

By circles do you mean cycles?
    5g/day is a ton? I'm genuinely curious where that perception comes from. Almost all creatine products I've seen have the standard serving size set at 5g. I believe most studies have been done with that amount, but please correctly me if I'm wrong there.

I generally like this http://www.leighpeele.com/creatine-d...ing-and-safety whole page (including comments section) for creatine, but since I'm feeling posty lately...

Cycling is not necessary. You can still do it if you like, but as cited at the link there's at least one study that says 4 months of consistent creatine use doesn't do any harm at all.

If you decide to cycle, realize that creatine doesn't make you stronger. For simplicity let's just say creatine helps you recover faster especially in the time frame between sets. The only thing that might change when being "off" is how fresh you feel during a workout. Your 1RM should not fall at all. Just listen to your body and don't get suckered into having a placebo ruin your workout.
Page 1 of 3 1 23 LastLast