Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    8/13/2011 10:48pm

Style: 9mm/Judo/BJJ/MT

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Exercises to Support Knees?

Lately I've been having some knee discomfort that I've found is aggravated by skipping rope. If I don't skip rope, my knees feel better. If I do, my knees feel awful. My best guess is that this is because of a couple of years of sedentary lifestyle that I'm trying to recover from and that some of the muscles in my legs aren't strong enough to support my knees, so I was hoping you guys could all share some advice on things that can strengthen the muscles in my legs to help eliminate the problem. I've been starting to walk every night and stretch well after (jogging right now wouldn't be too comfy), but any other recommendations would be appreciated.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/14/2011 3:29am

Style: TSD, Karate & Kickboxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I was recommended to use a thigh master for 2 sets of 10 for a month by the doctor (GP) before my physio appointment came through.

The following are some of the beginning exercises that were given to me by the physio to do at home (I damaged my left knee):

For a month do nothing but the following stretch: Thigh (Quadriceps) Stretch
    Holding for 20 sec, 4 times a day

After a month, incorporate the following exercises:
    1. Lifting a ball with your feet (sit on chair, legs straight, pick-up and put down a ball with your feet) - repeat 10 times, sorry couldn't find a picture.

2. Wall sits (see here: http://www.obesityhelp.com/forums/te...t/cmsID,11625/ ) - squats against the wall, repeat 10 times.

3. Squats, repeat 10 times

4. Leg Lifts (see here: http://www.the-fitness-motivator.com/ab-exercises.html ) however varyt he exercise by having your foot pointing upwards, inwards and outwards. Lift leg up 20cm for 5 secs slowly relaxing. Repeat 10 times for each foot direction.

5. Not sure on the name of this one, but standing with support (eg against the wall), squeeze a foam wedge or towel between your knees. Continuously squeeze while gentle bending your knees, Return to standing. Relax squeeze. Repeat 10 times.

After a month, incorporate 1 legged squats.

You can ice (eg ice pack, damp cloth with ice or frozen pea's) your knee every 2 hours a day and for a maximum of 20 minutes a time. Never wrap an ice pack fully around a limb.

These were some of the exercises that were given to me for my knee problems and were valid when I went to the physio. I would recommend seeking exercises specific for you from a Physio and/or doctor for the best results/program for you.

Hope this helps :)

-Ken

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/14/2011 7:49am

Style: BJJ/MT/MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    These were some of the exercises that were given to me for my knee problems and were valid when I went to the physio. I would recommend seeking exercises specific for you from a Physio and/or doctor for the best results/program for you.
    This is good advice.
    I have 2 injured knees at the moment, and the prognosis from my physio ( to my understanding ) is that my muscles in my legs that support the knee joint, are not strong enough for the exercise I am doing. Because of this the knee joint picks up the slack. This will lead to arthritis if I don't do the exercises I was given by my physio, every day....I think he said forever. lol.

The first program he gave me was calf raises, wall sits ( with ball between knees ), leg lifts on my back with that blue elastic stuff around my ankles, and knee lifts on my side with the elastic just above my knees. Once I had done this program for a few weeks, I went back for another checkup and my physio added weight lifting, and stair stuff into the mix. I also got ultrasound and electrotherapy at each session.

As you can see I got slightly different exercises, but a few of the same ones as kitkatninja. The point being you will need to have a professional check you out and give you a program based on your specific needs.

So my choices were quit, fix my knees with painful but rewarding exercise, or arthritis. Easy choice.

If skipping is hurting your knees don't do it for a while. It might just be aggravating an injury.

Another thing to keep in mind. My physio says that even though I am so eager to get back into training regularily, I should remember that something that can take 3 weeks to heal with proper care, can turn into a year or more of pain if you don't allow yourself to heal and rehab before diving back in.
    Last edited by beardedtaco; 8/14/2011 7:53am at .

Posted On:
    8/14/2011 8:21am

Join us... or die
     Style: stick,Taiji, mountainbike

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yeah, these guys are right on. So I won't add too much, other than to tell my experience. I have had surgery on one knee and went through PT. The problem most people have is that the tendons and ligaments around the knee atrophy from lack of exercise and then they do something strenuous and it puts strain on those ligaments and tendons. The proper way would be to build those tendons and ligaments back up to par, then progressively increase.

I do 100 body squats every Tuesday. That is for knee maintenance. If I stop the squats, my knees start hurting. As long as I keep it up, my knees don't hurt. Makes no since, but it is true.

Also, jumping rope puts huge strain on your knees even if you have healthy knees. Keep that in mind as well.
    Combatives training log.

Gezere: paraphrase from Bas Rutten, Never escalate the level of violence in fight you are losing. :D

Drum thread

Pavel Tsatsouline: kettlebell workouts give you “cardio without the dishonour of aerobics”.

Posted On:
    8/14/2011 10:03pm

Style: Does exercise count?

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    When you're in pain you see a doctor/PT. Doing someone else's PT program might not hurt, but it might include contraindicated exercise(s) and do more harm than good. If it were so simple that every time there was knee pain that there's a single answer to it, PT's would be out of business.

That said, if you're serious about getting educated on knees check out Bulletproof Knees by Mike Robertson. The major take home points are to increase hip mobility, strengthen the glutes and hamstrings, do unilateral work, and work up to being able to absorb force especially of it's for something athletically based. I don't recall if there was any focus on ankle mobility in there, but it's probably a good idea.

Amongst all of that it's generally a good idea to strengthen the quads especially in the end range of knee extension, but in many cases knee pain is related to overworked quads. Again, this is where you really need a PT or other medical professional to have a look.

Soft tissue work combined with stretching very rarely can cause harm and frequently helps regardless.

Posted On:
    8/15/2011 9:08pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Hung Gar, Choy Lay Fut

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by zaohu View Post
    ... My best guess is that this is because of a couple of years of sedentary lifestyle that I'm trying to recover from and that some of the muscles in my legs aren't strong enough to support my knees, ...
    I do not think this is a safe assumption.
    See a doc and get a proper diagnosis.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/15/2011 10:23pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    For some more illustrations, here's an article I read today that you can ask your doctors about:
    http://www.denverpost.com/search/ci_18676641

I hope you find what works to help with your knees (I kind of feel your pain. I started running a few months ago only to discover that I can't push myself as far as I'd like because my knees start hurting - probably from age, wear and tear, growing up playing sports, maybe not running right (?) etc.) Also, to reiterate a little of what other posters said, I found this one interesting too:
    http://www.runnersworld.com/article/...1555-0,00.html

Heavyweight

Posted On:
    8/15/2011 11:23pm

supporting member
     Style: Kyokushinkai / Kajukenbo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Gypsy Jazz View Post
    strengthen the glutes and hamstrings... a good idea to strengthen the quads especially in the end range of knee extension, but in many cases knee pain is related to overworked quads. Again, this is where you really need a PT or other medical professional to have a look.
    Lift and get strong muscles. I had joint problems and (thank god) a trainer at the gym told me that the stronger the muscles, the more support for the joints. He gave me several exercises and as the supporting muscles got stronger, joint problems decreased.

Quote Originally Posted by ChenPengFi View Post
    I do not think this is a safe assumption.
    See a doc and get a proper diagnosis.
    Problem is that many, if not most, docs don't know much about this stuff. I found one sports injury ortho guy who was good, but most of the docs have given me shitty advice.
    Last edited by patfromlogan; 8/15/2011 11:30pm at . Reason: uh, I forget
    "Preparing mentally, the most important thing is, if you aren't doing it for the love of it, then don't do it." - Benny Urquidez

Posted On:
    8/16/2011 3:48pm

Join us... or die
     Style: stick,Taiji, mountainbike

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Michal View Post
    Well exercises have been told well and i would like to say that joint should be strong for knee and diet also is very important and i want to know the best diet for this purpose.
    What? This is totally incomprehensible. Please use punctuation in the future! Thanks.

Go to a doctor if you would like, just realize that they have a vested interest! People like to defer to doctors so they can get some meds and surgeries to make them all better. And a doctor will give you whatever meds and surgeries you would like. Try to exercise and work it out on your own. If you feel sharp pain, then stop. If you feel muscle soreness, keep it up. You are having knee discomfort that is caused by jumping rope. If you go to the doctor for some discomfort, then you may as well check your balls at the door and give up on life.
    Combatives training log.

Gezere: paraphrase from Bas Rutten, Never escalate the level of violence in fight you are losing. :D

Drum thread

Pavel Tsatsouline: kettlebell workouts give you “cardio without the dishonour of aerobics”.

Posted On:
    8/16/2011 3:59pm

Style: Boxing,Kickboxing K1

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    When you train (MA) use a bandage, it helped me allot while strengthening my legs.
    Skip less and skip on a mat to absorb the energy.
    And take omega 3
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast