Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/11/2011 11:43pm

Style: Wing Chun

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

being blind

theres a "trick" if you wanna call it, that we do in wing chun. where we blind fold ourselves and do chisao. to someone who doesnt do chun they think its amazing we can hit and control our opponent without looking. but it actuually makes it EASIER because then were not worried/chasing the hands because..well...we cant see them. you have to totally rely on sensitivity and feeling.

i was wondering if in judo, or jiujitsu, if you could do that, and get the same results?

from what iv read about judo, you "give way" and dont use brute force. you feel where there force and weight is and use a throw based on that.

so do you think blindfolding yourself and training that way would be a good training proponent or even make you better?

Posted On:
    7/12/2011 2:47am

Style: Aikido / FMA / Krotty

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    We occasionally do Aikido blindfolded. It's a useful exercise now and again, as things really feel different, and it changes the focus a lot. Also, it just adds a bit of interest by changing the class routine.

I certainly wouldn't say it's useful enough to spend any real amount of time on it though, beyond changing peoples perspective for a few minutes.

I've been to an Aikido class taught by a blind guy, and that was more interesting because his technique was tangibly different. Everything had more points of contact, and was geared more towards kinaesthesis.

When life gives you lemons... BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD!!

"what's the best thing about aikido then?"
    "To be defeated by your enemies, to be driven by them from the field of battle, and to hear the lamentations of your women." ermghoti

Posted On:
    7/12/2011 3:21am

Join us... or die
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I've done Judo with a blindfold on, its gay and pointless.

I've also introduced a blind person to Judo, he was an absolute gun and picked it up super quickly. I was very impressed. He's on the GB VI squad now and looking to go to the Paralympics in 2012.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/12/2011 3:25am

Style: BJJ n stuff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    When I was a student there was a blind guy on the college judo team. By all accounts he was just as good as anyone else and had no problem throwing regular people on their heads.

Titanium laced beauty

Posted On:
    7/12/2011 8:24am

supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: BJJ, wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It can be a useful tool for beginner's. As a Judo beginner myself, I find that my foot sweeps actually suck less blindfolded than when I'm using my eyes. Without visual input, I worry less about timing.

They still suck though.

Posted On:
    7/12/2011 8:31am

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    When did you start Judo, JNP?

Titanium laced beauty

Posted On:
    7/12/2011 9:51am

supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: BJJ, wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by judoka_uk View Post
    When did you start Judo, JNP?
    I started working intermittently with an older shodan that trains with me in BJJ two or three months ago. However, I can barely make it in to train anything due to work right now.

I also trained once with Hungryjoe at his Judo dojo in Oklahoma City last week. Since I'll be working there regularly, I plan on training at his place as often as I can when I'm in OK.

I decided to start training Judo almost a year ago, but work has prevented me from becoming a serious student. For now, I'll have to settle for being semi-serious. I will study Judo for as long as I'm physically able. I have decided that the science of Judo is easier on my body than wrestling. Due to dodgy knees, I'm afraid my double and single leg days are drawing to a close.

No matter how old you are, a good foot sweep is always an option.

Posted On:
    7/12/2011 10:12am

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by jnp View Post
    I started working intermittently with an older shodan that trains with me in BJJ two or three months ago. However, I can barely make it in to train anything due to work right now.

I also trained once with Hungryjoe at his Judo dojo in Oklahoma City last week. Since I'll be working there regularly, I plan on training at his place as often as I can when I'm in OK.

I decided to start training Judo almost a year ago, but work has prevented me from becoming a serious student. For now, I'll have to settle for being semi-serious. I will study Judo for as long as I'm physically able. I have decided that the science of Judo is easier on my body than wrestling. Due to dodgy knees, I'm afraid my double and single leg days are drawing to a close.
    Dodgy knees seem to hold a lot of late adult beginners back in Judo as well.

Is that at the defensive tactics place? Checked out their website and couldn't find any instructor profiles, but its a bit pricey for Judo!

Anyway good luck with it as long as they teach the conceptual stuff I've been covering over the past year you'll be in good hands.

Quote Originally Posted by jnp View Post
    No matter how old you are, a good foot sweep is always an option.
    This reminds me I need to do a De ashi barai thread.

Silent Guardian

Posted On:
    7/12/2011 10:12am

Business Class Supporting Member
     Gladiators Academy Lafayette, LA Style: Judo, MMA, White Trash JJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Practicing blind folded is nothing new. I have been doing it since I started judo. I was very fortunate to have one of the best blind judo players in the world as one of my coaches. I would have to use a blind fold when I would train with the blind team and we would use it regularly.

These days I just close my eyes when rolling. It helps and pisses people off when they realize they got tapped by someone with thier eyes closed. As a matter of fact blind folds will be used in class tonight to bring back the old school.
    Judo is only gentle for the guy on top.

Silent Guardian

Posted On:
    7/12/2011 10:14am

Business Class Supporting Member
     Gladiators Academy Lafayette, LA Style: Judo, MMA, White Trash JJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    JNP roll your ass this way and pick up your Neanderthal brother on the way and come get some Cajun style Judo training.
    Judo is only gentle for the guy on top.
Page 1 of 4 1 234 LastLast