Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/28/2011 3:33pm

Style: Aikido, bits of jits

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

swords on the right hip

I had a choice between a single instructor aikido seminar at home with Terry Ezra, 7th dan aikido, and a gamble on a multi-instructor seminar in Germany.
    I choose to go to the Ezra sensei course and enjoyed it.
    One of the sets of instructors at the German course were the Intelligent Self Defense Samurai people. I looked them up on youtube and found some videos here.
    There's some athletic ukemi but enough red flags like swords on the right hip and excessive chiburi to tell me I made the right choice.

12th level logic wielder

Posted On:
    6/28/2011 5:18pm

Style: BJJ, judo, rapier

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by realjanuary View Post
    here.
    There's some athletic ukemi but enough red flags like swords on the right hip and excessive chiburi to tell me I made the right choice.
    It all looks painfully pretentious, and their website makes them look like douches—but I don’t see the problem with swords on the right hip. The guy is drawing and cutting left-handed: Of course if he draws and cuts from the opposite side he’ll also have to change the sword!

Now, I know jack **** about Japanese swordsmanship, so I’m not defending the guy’s skill or anything, but since you think that wearing the sword on the right is so major a transgression that it merits being the title of your thread: Why? What makes it so bad?
    [ petterhaggholm.net | blog | essays ]
    [ self defence: general thoughts | bjj: “don’t go to the ground”? ]
    “The plural of anecdote is anecdotes, not data.”

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/28/2011 5:31pm

Style: Bartitsu, Judo noob

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I don't know... It just looks like a demo to me. Throw together something flashy, impress the audience, get some publicity for your school, pass around your business cards/brochures, maybe pick up a few new students, everybody goes home happy.

Dark Overlord of the Bullshido Underworld

Posted On:
    6/28/2011 5:31pm

supporting member
     Style: Taai Si Ji Kung Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Petter View Post
    Why? What makes it so bad?
    Because left-handed German Aikidoka are so obviously not Aryan?
    Calm down, it's only ones and zeros.

"Your calm and professional manner of response is really draining all the fun out of this. Can you reply more like Dr. Fagbot or something? Call me some names, mention some sand in my vagina or something of the sort. You can't expect me to come up with reasonable arguments man!" -- MaverickZ

"Tom Kagan spins in his grave and the fucking guy isn't even dead yet." -- Snake Plissken

My Bullshido fan club threads:
    Tom Kagan's a big hairy...
    Tom Kagan can lick my BALLS
    Tom Kagan teaches _ing __un and bigotry?
    Tom Kagan: Serious discussion here
    Lamokio asks the burning question is Tom Kagan a ***** or just cruising for some
    I'm Dave the gay Kickboxer from Manchester and I have the hots for Tom Kagan
    TOM KAGAN, OPEN ME, THE MKT ARE COMING FOR YOU ! ARE YOU MAN ENOUGH TO MEET ?
    ATTN TOM KAGAN
    World Dominator 'Kagan' in plot to lie about real Kung Fu and Martial Arts
    Tom Kagan just gave me my third negative rep in a day
    I am infatuated with Tom Kagan
    Tom Kagan is a fat balding white guy.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    6/28/2011 11:30pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    IIRC it's technically wrong to carry the sword on your right side because of weird Japanese custom, but I don't know if it's considered that bad to teach it left handed in modern times.

Crappler Extraordinaire

Posted On:
    6/29/2011 12:05am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The aiki-bunnies get real pissy about this kind of thing. Go into an Aikido dojo with the right lapel of your gi over the left and every one of them will tell you that you look "dead."* The focus is much more about the dojo culture and etiquette than fighting.

*Japanese custom is that when you dress yourself the right side of the kimono goes under the left. When a body is dressed by someone else for burial, the kimono is opposite because someone else is dressing the body. You learn something new (and probably useless) every day.

pro nonsense self defense

Posted On:
    6/29/2011 1:08am

supporting member
     Style: FMA, dumbek, Indian clubs

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Seems to me that the concept is to wear the sword opposite the main arm, so there's enough room to draw the blade clear of the scabbard. If there was a social stigma on a sword on the right, what was a left handed samurai to do?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/29/2011 1:19am

Style: Aikido, Aikiken, Aikijo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm left handed but i place the bokken on the left hip.

Considering that the ken no kamae that we use is always with the right hand on top i see no reason, as far as we're concerned, to change hip.

Crappler Extraordinaire

Posted On:
    6/29/2011 1:29am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Permalost View Post
    Seems to me that the concept is to wear the sword opposite the main arm, so there's enough room to draw the blade clear of the scabbard. If there was a social stigma on a sword on the right, what was a left handed samurai to do?
    No such thing as a left-handed samurai.

In ultra-conformist medieval Japan, children were forced to be right handed. Period. Musashi was believed to be ambidextrous, but that's about as close as it gets.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/29/2011 3:26am

Style: Kendo, Iaido, BJJ noob

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    There's some athletic ukemi but enough red flags like swords on the right hip and excessive chiburi to tell me I made the right choice
    The athletic ukemi is the red flag. As said, for a left handed sword user (as the guy in the video is), sword on the right hip is a logical placement. In traditional arts, lefties learn the right handed way because the japanese aren't big on crazy rebels sticking it to the man by learning a form the other way. Also, your term is wrong. Their chiburi is fine, in fact, it's by the book for most traditional styles. To be blunt, their solo iai would pass some low level gradings in znkr as far as I saw (assuming they dropped the twirls).

What they've done is taken a more or less traditional style (looks like ZNKR), added some flashy noto (sheathing) and added some flashy aikido and jump kicks. Don't get me wrong, it's bad, but an aikidoka calling those guys out for sloppy sword work would be like an aikidoka calling out an amateur boxer for being sloppy. His cuts were decent (the first cut very good even), his footwork and posture were ok, and his movements were reasonably smooth... kinda
Page 1 of 6 1 2345 ... LastLast