Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    6/27/2011 3:39am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: boxing, tkd, kenpo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Why is boxing so effective?

Boxing uses only the hands and only four basic attacks. The jab, the straight right/cross the hook and the uppercuts. While these attacks can be varied logic would say that boxing would do terrible against the majority of other styles due to the fact that they use much more variety. I believe that what makes boxing effective is the movement and stance. As someone with experience in boxing as well as tkd I can tell you that even when kicks start getting thrown I am usually able to angle, get in close and and go to work with my hands. (yes she did say that thank you for not putting it in the comments.) There is also the added factor of space. When you train a style that allows for lots of space your movement does not have to be as good as when training in a very small ring. I also mentioned stance. While there are quite a few styles popping up that use the basic boxing stance I am still amazed by the quantity of videos that can be found with people getting hit in the face/head area. PUT YOUR HANDS UP! When I trained in tkd all I had to do was push in close and work the face because people just refuse to bring their hands up. I realize that you do not need to have your hands up constantly, you can use high and low blocks and things like that but once you start getting into good combination punching this becomes very difficult. Thank you for your time I realize as a boxer I am probably pretty biased on this subject so any comments/criticism are welcome.

Posted On:
    6/27/2011 3:40am

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Also remember that while those blocks can be used most fights are won by lucky shots and it is much easier to eliminate those by just bringing your hands up and getting your elbows in.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/27/2011 5:13am

Style: Kendo, Iaido, BJJ noob

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    While these attacks can be varied logic would say that boxing would do terrible against the majority of other styles due to the fact that they use much more variety
    Actually, that's unsound logic.
    Logically, training 4 things that work would be far more effective than training 10 things that don't.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/27/2011 8:31am

Style: Bowie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by bwhite77 View Post
    Boxing uses only the hands and only four basic attacks. The jab, the straight right/cross the hook and the uppercuts.

[snip]
    This looks like the beginnings of an article. You should expand it.

Peace favor your sword,
    Kirk

Posted On:
    6/27/2011 10:01am

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I am not saying that the other ten things that you are training are ineffective in every situation. My point is that it is good to have an arsenal of things that DO work and because there are plenty of styles that do that now why has boxing still stuck around and why is it still effective?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/27/2011 12:56pm

Style: Western Boxing, Tai Chi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Boxing is effective because it is based on sound principles that work. It isn't just about the punching -- it's about the rhythm, the head movement, the footwork, etc. Boxing didn't just teach me how to hit, but more importantly when to hit.

You can punch any way you want. If you watch a lot of boxing, you see lots of fighters pull off crazy shots that still work. The basic shots, and the ones that work most often, are jab, cross, hook, and uppercut -- sometimes overhand. But these are by no means the only punches allowed in boxing.

Dark Overlord of the Bullshido Underworld

Posted On:
    6/27/2011 1:50pm

supporting member
     Style: Taai Si Ji Kung Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by bwhite77 View Post
    When I trained in tkd all I had to do was push in close and work the face because people just refuse to bring their hands up.
    You're either cheating or lying. Either way, I think you are full of **** without original thoughts on the boxing strawman you're propping up.
    Calm down, it's only ones and zeros.

"Your calm and professional manner of response is really draining all the fun out of this. Can you reply more like Dr. Fagbot or something? Call me some names, mention some sand in my vagina or something of the sort. You can't expect me to come up with reasonable arguments man!" -- MaverickZ

"Tom Kagan spins in his grave and the fucking guy isn't even dead yet." -- Snake Plissken

My Bullshido fan club threads:
    Tom Kagan's a big hairy...
    Tom Kagan can lick my BALLS
    Tom Kagan teaches _ing __un and bigotry?
    Tom Kagan: Serious discussion here
    Lamokio asks the burning question is Tom Kagan a ***** or just cruising for some
    I'm Dave the gay Kickboxer from Manchester and I have the hots for Tom Kagan
    TOM KAGAN, OPEN ME, THE MKT ARE COMING FOR YOU ! ARE YOU MAN ENOUGH TO MEET ?
    ATTN TOM KAGAN
    World Dominator 'Kagan' in plot to lie about real Kung Fu and Martial Arts
    Tom Kagan just gave me my third negative rep in a day
    I am infatuated with Tom Kagan
    Tom Kagan is a fat balding white guy.

Posted On:
    6/27/2011 2:26pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yes I agree boxing is very effective due to it's rythem and movement and it is much more in depth than it seems on the surface. If you think I am either cheating or lying I have two things to say. One I do not cheat and two watch this video granted it is boxing versus a few guys who do karate however at around 37 seconds you will see the tactic im talking about. At first the karate guy does pretty well with his feet but then his hands drop, the boxer pushes in and he is knocked down. He also beats his next opponent very easily. (note the fact that his next opponent is fresh while he is not) O and by the way when I did tkd i trained with a guy that worked with the U.S. Olympic team, believe me there was no cheating going on.

When I Get Back

Posted On:
    6/27/2011 2:35pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Kagan View Post
    You're either cheating or lying. Either way, I think you are full of **** without original thoughts on the boxing strawman you're propping up.
    In TKD, it is referred to an "Aunt Sally" and not a strawman....to prevent further confusion.

Posted On:
    6/27/2011 3:16pm

supporting member
     Style: Taijiquan/Shuai-Chiao/BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Boxing's trained well—live training, and plenty of conditioning and whatnot too. Put a boxerciser throwing "fitness punches" in against a TKDer and it won't go nearly so well.
Page 1 of 7 1 2345 ... LastLast