• ---

Style: 
    Judo

Posted On:
    6/08/2011 3:47pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You're a 3rd kyu fighting a dan grade in the video?

3 things leapt out to me from the video.

1. You walk on, a lot, like all the time. You need to stop doing this. I noticed you said in the blurb for the video that you had 11 matches and lost 10. Let me guess you got thrown with drop seoi/ forward throws?

2. You don't seem to have a coherent gripping plan you seem to be mainly reactive and even when you go on the offensive for the over the top/ belt grip you don't seem to have a systematic route to achieve it. Have you got one? What is it?

3. You had a few good opportunities in newaza, but you were a little uncanny. You were on the edge of the contest area and had decent control, but attacked so that if he resisted and rolled you would lose contact with the contact area and get stood up. You need to work a little bit on mat awareness so you recognise where you are on the mat and what that means for your newaza attacks. So that you can use your BJJ to your advantage.

Apart from that for a 3rd kyu fighting a dan grade, I thought you did well to take it to time.

Tsun-Derrorist

Style: 
    ^_^

Posted On:
    6/08/2011 4:22pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yeah, i'm the only sankyu in this division (my first time in the BB div). My opponents were two shodans, a nidan and a sandan.

Haha no no no, 11 means the year. But you're right, my other three matches were lost to drop seoi. Noone in my clubs does that.

OSPF was aware of my groundwork. The both of us have trained together and know each other's game plans pretty well. I wasn't actually trying to take it to time, it happened mainly because we're evenly matched.

"The only important elements in any society
    are the artistic and the criminal,
    because they alone, by questioning the society's values,
    can force it to change."-Samuel R. Delany

RENDERING GELATINOUS WINDMILL OF DICKS

THIS IS GOING TO BE THE BEST NON-EUCLIDIAN SPLATTERJOUST EVER

It seems that the only people who support anarchy are faggots, who want their pathetic immoral lifestyle accepted by the mainstream society. It wont be so they try to create their own.-Oldman34, friend to all children

Tsun-Derrorist

Style: 
    ^_^

Posted On:
    6/08/2011 4:29pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    At 1:44 you can see me do the robot

It seems that the only people who support anarchy are faggots, who want their pathetic immoral lifestyle accepted by the mainstream society. It wont be so they try to create their own.-Oldman34, friend to all children

Style: 
    Judo

Posted On:
    6/08/2011 4:43pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Hedgehogey View Post
    Haha no no no, 11 means the year. But you're right, my other three matches were lost to drop seoi. Noone in my clubs does that.
    Lol, ahh ok.

Its not because you aren't experienced defending the drop seoi, although that doesn't help. Its because whenever you are reset to your starting points you basically walk straight at your opponent and then keep on walking forward or 'walking on' as its called, because you walk on to the throw.

If you have footage of the other matches you can post or review I'll bet if you go back and watch you it you come forward and then walk forwards and the dan grades just go 'thank you very much' and dissappear underneath you for drop seoi.

So at the moment you are blue and you're doing this:

This gifts the drop seoi to your opponent.

You need to come off your block and circle and the engage, like this:

We drill our beginners when they're going into a contest to step onto the mat, walk up, rei, walk to their spot, rei, step forward, hajime and then circle.

Then we stop them and repeat the whole thing again for 10 goes or however many it takes to get it ingrained in them.

Watch this match between Ebinuma and Cunha

See how they come forward and immediately circle around each other, rather than walking straight on.

Tsun-Derrorist

Style: 
    ^_^

Posted On:
    6/08/2011 10:01pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Ai, thanks. I'm probably doing that because i've been hitting easy throws on the kyu grades by backing off slightly when they reach for my collar and forcing them to bend forward by doing tsugi ashi backwards with a grip on their extended arm. Dan grades don't do that.

Style: 
    Judo

Posted On:
    6/09/2011 4:22am

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Ai, thanks.
    No worries

I'm probably doing that because i've been hitting easy throws on the kyu grades by backing off slightly when they reach for my collar and forcing them to bend forward by doing tsugi ashi backwards with a grip on their extended arm. Dan grades don't do that.
    I'd be cautious doing that, as a general rule of thumb don't lean backwards when someone's reaching for a grip or just got one. As many dan grades, myself included, specifically practice catching people with a no hands on De ashi barai as we or they reach for a grip and De ashi barai as soon as we have a hand on the lapel.

As you're finding out body movement and defensive reactions change rapidly as competency increases and so simple tricks that work against kyu grades don't work anymore.

Fix your 'walking on' problem and get yourself a gripping strategy and everything else will start to become a lot easier.

To fix your 'walking on' thing take a few minutes before or after lessons to practice starting a contest.

Bow at the edge of the mat.

Walk to edge of the imaginary danger area.

Bow.

Walk to your spot.

Bow.

Take one step forward.

Pause for the imaginary hajime.

Then circle towards your strong hand i.e if right handed circle right if left handed, left.

Rinse and Repeat.

For your gripping strategy get a hold of a copy of Pedro's Grip like a world champion, buy it torrent it, whatever. Then either work with your coach or find a competitive club where someone knows a bit about gripping and get practicing.

My dog is cuter and smarter than yours.

Style: 
    Kodokan Judo

Posted On:
    6/10/2011 5:24pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Hedge VS OSPF

Looking a lot better, HH, nice performance. I'm glad to see you step up to the BB division, you will make more progress in doing so.

I don't think I can add anything to what Judoka_UK suggested, as usual he is spot on in his advice.

As someone who has done seoi otoshi for a long time, as he pointed out, following like you did a few times is a habit you need to break ASAP.

Ben