Posted On:
    5/17/2005 8:13pm

Style: Kickboxing/Grappling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Ron Chapel, alleged PhD running an alleged university

While I generally loathe cross-board business, I direct you to this:

http://www.martialtalk.com/forum/sho...d=1#post394059

Before I started teh kung foo, I trained in a small kenpo group. I was curious about this SL-4 business for a couple of reasons: claims about pressure point techniques and anti-grappling, for instance.

In the thread above, someone simply asked where Chapel's PhD in "anatomical physics" comes from. He wouldn't answer. This expanded into a discussion about the credentials of his martial "science" university.

Ron Chapel is a proven EPAK senior. But is he an accredited PhD? Where's the "science" in Sub-Level Four Kenpo? Where does it really come from? He doesn't have any videos and technical discussions seem to degenerate into insults and Dianetics-style speudoscientific loggorhea?

Clyde? Anybody? WTF?

Kenpo Instructor

Posted On:
    5/17/2005 9:37pm

supporting member
     Style: American Kenpo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by eyebeams
    While I generally loathe cross-board business, I direct you to this:

http://www.martialtalk.com/forum/sho...d=1#post394059

Before I started teh kung foo, I trained in a small kenpo group. I was curious about this SL-4 business for a couple of reasons: claims about pressure point techniques and anti-grappling, for instance.

In the thread above, someone simply asked where Chapel's PhD in "anatomical physics" comes from. He wouldn't answer. This expanded into a discussion about the credentials of his martial "science" university.

Ron Chapel is a proven EPAK senior. But is he an accredited PhD? Where's the "science" in Sub-Level Four Kenpo? Where does it really come from? He doesn't have any videos and technical discussions seem to degenerate into insults and Dianetics-style speudoscientific loggorhea?

Clyde? Anybody? WTF?

Dude, I was the first to question this many, many years ago and got beaten down by the crowd for even asking. Though I agree with some of what Ron has had to say about EPAK on MT, I don't agree with what he's doing. I've offered rather recently to be the dummy for him at a seminar, to which he said I wasn't invited. When I told him I was, he called the promoter and said that he wouldn't do the seminar if I was in attendanace. I politely opted out but he's gotta put his money where his mouth is with me and it seems he'll avoid me at all costs and I'd like to know why.

Have a great Kenpo day

Clyde
    Saving Kenpo souls one at a time!

Put down your purse!

Speed is fine, but accuracy is final. Wyatt Earp, 1888

"For certain 'tis a shameful spite, and dreadful to the heart,
    For an Irishman to see a fight, and not be taking part."

--"How McPherson Held the Floor"

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/17/2005 10:22pm

Style: Liquid Schwartz

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I might be wrong, but after reading the MT thread, I feel that he simply doesn't want to admit that his Ph.D was possibly given to him through his own "Martial Science University", which would definitely smack of self promotion to the umph degree.
    Good job Clyde in making waves in those waters.

Administrator

Posted On:
    5/17/2005 10:22pm

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Well, that says a lot about an instructor. If you can't demonstrate on a non-compliant person then how is it going to work on the street?

OOOOOOOOOOAAARRGGHH RLY?

Posted On:
    5/17/2005 10:48pm

supporting member
     Style: In Transition

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The Street has Powers. Powers to engulf an opponent in cement and allow you to use your techniques on him. All you have to say is the magic word.

MUSASHI!!!!!!

PL

Featherweight

Posted On:
    6/07/2011 2:01am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Ed Parker'sAmerican Kenpo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The martial arts university is a non-accredited university which of course is not recognized by the Department of Education (DOE). A Ph.D. or a "professor certificate" would not allow one to teach in an academic institution. Only in a private martial arts school can one hold such distinction as "Doctor" or "Professor" which is fine with me.

Here to kick your ass.

Posted On:
    6/07/2011 2:06am

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Kenpo Kid View Post
    The martial arts university is a non-accredited university which of course is not recognized by the Department of Education (DOE). A Ph.D. or a "professor certificate" would not allow one to teach in an academic institution. Only in a private martial arts school can one hold such distinction as "Doctor" or "Professor" which is fine with me.
    First of all, welcome to BS mate.

Secondly, I'm not sure if you're simply stating fact here, or assuring us that those who train with the above don't care about his self awarded doctorate. Are you currently a student?

Thirdly, if you look on the bottom left, under the avatar and details, you'll see that this thread has been inactive since 2005.

Chaos? Panic?... Disorder??
    .........................​My work here is done.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/07/2011 3:03am

Style: 'Grapplin'

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Kenpo Kid View Post
    Here to save the day, itssssss....CAPTAIN OBVIOUS
    :LOLnotext:

Here to kick your ass.

Posted On:
    6/07/2011 4:55am

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by bigmike_ebw View Post
    Here to save the day, itssssss....CAPTAIN OBVIOUS
    :LOLnotext:
    This is MABS. If you have nothing to add STFU.

Chaos? Panic?... Disorder??
    .........................​My work here is done.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/07/2011 5:07am

Style: 'Grapplin'

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    This is a pointless necro. He had nothing new to add either. So i did exactly what you have just done to me. While this may be a generalisation, but when a thread is necro'd by a new user, it means they've googled a name and found the site. Now you've completely blown my attempt at getting more info/ personal slant on this random and pointless post via micro-trolling. This may be MABS , but the thread is dead, no harm done. Apologies.
Page 1 of 4 1 234 LastLast