Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Featherweight

Posted On:
    5/11/2011 10:12pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Hi Guys, Question?

Hey guys. I just stumbled on this site after getting banned from Martial arts Planet after only 4 posts. I guess they can't take the reality of what real martial arts are.

Anyway, a little bit about me. I've been training TKD since I was 16 and have just received my black belt. My instructor says he has never given a black belt to someone my age but he said my skill level was undeniable.

I am considering trying to fight in the cage MMA style. After all I want to prove to everyone and myself that I deserve my BB. My coach is dead set against me fighting in the cage. He says that martial arts shouldn't be about hurting others and he says my punch and kick power could kill someone if it landed in the right spot.

But I'm determined to put myself to the test. On that note I do have a question for you. Now that I'm a black belt in TKD do I have to register my hands and feet as deadly weapons or just my hands like Crappy Karate?

Self defense wise I'm pretty good as well. My dad actually has his own street combat system that he has taught for about 30 years! He has done seminars and video tutorials. If you want I can post up some of it so you can see.

Thanks for your help. If you want to know anymore about me just ask.
    Last edited by RedRock; 5/11/2011 10:13pm at . Reason: Paragraphs didn't copy over.

LVL 99 Photomancer

Posted On:
    5/11/2011 10:22pm

supporting member
     Style: MT/BJJ/MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Firstly, welcome to bullshido.

Secondly, I applaud your willingness to put your skills through rigorous testing, in order to find out exactly what that black belt of yours is really worth.

You just might find out that those TKD kicks aren't quite as deadly as your instructor has led you to believe.

In any case, Sparring in a mixed martial arts environment is going to do wonders for your perspective on Martial Arts reality, and it will make you a better martial artist, and a better person from the experience.

Go for it! Find the closest MMA gym you can find and ask to spar with the students there.
    I'm sure you will find someone fairly obliging :)

Thirdly: Nobody has to 'register' any part of their body for anything related to martial arts, ever.

Finally: Yes, please post the videos. We would love to understand more about your street defense system.

Yes, I am smarter than you are.

Posted On:
    5/11/2011 10:37pm

supporting memberstaff
     Style: TKD, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I started TKD at 14 and got my 1st dan BB at 18. You are in no way prepared for an MMA fight. You should go visit an MMA gym and spar with some of the guys in their standup classes, and roll with some of the guys in the grappling class and get a feel for what you would be in for in an MMA fight. Otherwise you are just going to step into the cage and get spiked onto your head and punched unconscious.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    5/11/2011 10:37pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hi Colin,

Thanks for the quick answer, I did think it was alittle absurd but I wanted to double check. One of people in my class told me that I had too. Some people are so delusional that can't see for themselves when their are being taken in.

In reply to what you said about my kicking power I have actually tested how hard my kicks are. As part of my grading for BB I had to complete a head high kick and break 'three' boards held together. My coach said each board is like a bone. So if I can break three boards I could surely crack someones skull.

On that note, if I killed someone in the ring could I be done for manslaughter? It's an interesting point that was always brought up at my dads Seminars. People asked why he doesn't perform his techniques at full speed. He would always joke that it doesn't make good business sense in killing all of his students! LOL I'll try and find one of his clips on youtube.

Posted On:
    5/11/2011 10:48pm

supporting memberstaff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You won't kill anyone in the ring with your kicks. I promise you. And no, you can't be charged with manslaughter if someone dies in the ring.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    5/11/2011 10:55pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Found it!
    Some idiot re-titled it but he's the one red. And yes he still has the mustache.

Posted On:
    5/11/2011 10:59pm

supporting memberstaff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    BWAHAHAHAHAHAH!
    You only get a 2/10 for this troll because it was too obvious you were trolling. You get 1 point for sounding very earnest with the original, and 1 point for creative use of youtube.
    The "register my hands" and the "can I get charged with manslaughter" bits were too over the top, should have started a little slower and not tried to cram in so many stereotypes at once.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    5/11/2011 11:09pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Ha,

You got me, couldn't help myself. I saw that clip the other day and thought it was freakin hilarious.

Anyway, A bit about me. Started BJJ about 1 year ago as a way to get fit. Since then it's become something I'm quite obsessed with. I work on a fly in fly out roster so my training isn't as regular as I would like, so I get my fix lurking on Bullshido and watching BJJ vids.

I'm considering starting up some Muay Thai in the near future but am horrfied at the prospect of not actually being a naturally gifted striker and getting my dream and face shattered.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/12/2011 9:25am

Style: Stabbing the Face.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by RedRock View Post
    I'm considering starting up some Muay Thai in the near future but am horrfied at the prospect of not actually being a naturally gifted striker and getting my dream and face shattered.
    It can't hurt to learn Muay Thai. You won't be harmed taking Muay Thai (much). And the fact that you're not a naturally gifted striker is pretty much the entire reason why they have someone teaching you how.

Posted On:
    5/12/2011 9:46am

supporting memberstaff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If you can fit it in, then it's always a good idea to supplement your grappling with some striking, and Muay Thai compliments your BJJ by giving you a strong clinch game that you can use to bridge the gap and transition to the ground when you want to, so I recommend it. Based on your sense of humor I think you'll have a good time here.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast