Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/08/2011 10:28am

Style: Muay Thai, San Shou, MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Cardio, but fun.

I've been running for the past month to improve my cardio and I have to say it is effective. But I HATE it so so much. Are there other ways to improve cardio that is as effective, if not better, than running? It's boring and I feel like I'm in pain most of the time. What can be done about this? BTW, I need this, grappling tournament coming up and I gas easy.

When I Get Back

Posted On:
    5/08/2011 10:34am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Racquetball.
    Several of my training partners play racquetball a couple of times a week and swear by it.

I played in an indoor soccer league and liked it, as the field is smaller and there are less players than in an outdoor match, plus you have wall shots.

Main drawback with both of the above suggestions is a bunch of side to side movement which can be tough on the knees.

Ad Hominem rocks.

Posted On:
    5/10/2011 8:18pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ, mma

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    MORE SPARRING. Nothing leaves me exhuasted like 10 rounds of sparring.

Aside from that, get a partner and do some sprints. race each other up steep hills, or on sandy beaches, or just anywhere.

Also, get a mountain bike. Try to bike to places more often. way more interesting than running and it will save you gas money.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    5/11/2011 12:30pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: jeet kune do

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    i agree with snake and elipson, sports and sparring is fun. what about swimming, it'll get you mad endurance, and do to the water resistance you can speed train for punches and kicks definately and maybe even shooting in for takedowns, swimming will also be easier on your knees.

pro nonsense self defense

Posted On:
    5/11/2011 12:53pm

supporting member
     Style: FMA, dumbek, Indian clubs

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I jump rope because I hate running. I find it fun, but the beginning stage can be very frustrating (when I started I could only do a few jumps before hitting my feet). Jumping rope is great cardio, but not when you're stopping and restarting every few seconds.

When I Get Back

Posted On:
    5/11/2011 12:59pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It Is Fake is a huge proponent of swimming as an exercise.

Quote Originally Posted by Permalost View Post
    I jump rope because I hate running. I find it fun, but the beginning stage can be very frustrating (when I started I could only do a few jumps before hitting my feet). Jumping rope is great cardio, but not when you're stopping and restarting every few seconds.
    I love jumping rope and need to do it more often....thanks for the reminder.

My high school had a PE class called "Weights" which was, as you guess..... pretty much just lifting weights.

At one point, for a two week period, the coaches had us warming up with 500 turns, which at the time I was pretty skilled at and like a fucking dork I brought my own Everlast leather rope with the weighted handles.

I finished before everyone else, the coach disbelieved I did 500 turns so I did another 500 turns with his counting and still finished before most everyone else. When I look back I don't think about how good at rope skipping I was, I realize how much of a dork I was.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/11/2011 1:17pm

Style: Muay Thai, San Shou, MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Ropes sound good. How long do you have to do ropes for though? I usually can run 5km in 20 mins. The best part about running is that I can get it done and over with pretty fast and move on with my day. The worst part is it is pretty tough on my knees.

Ninja Fruit

Posted On:
    5/11/2011 1:50pm

Style: JKD, Jiu Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Bas Rutten's All 'Round Workout.

28 min and it's never boring. Great change of pace workout and ... BAS!
    "Never trust a quote you read on the internet" - Abraham Lincoln

Everybody was Kung Fu fighting

Posted On:
    5/11/2011 5:37pm

supporting member
     Style: Tai Chi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Get a pack of cards. Shuffle them. Start dealing.

If you deal a red card you are doing dive bombers for the face value of the card. Picture cards are 10.

If you deal a black card you are doing bodyweight squats for the face value of the card.

Do not stop between sets for any longer than it takes to deal another card.

If you can do a whole deck then you will mess with the numbers of picture cards (like jack=15, queen=20, king=30). You can do more than one 'lap' around a deck. You can make it more varied than just 'divebomber' or 'squats'. Diamonds could be divebombers and hearts could be incline pushups. Clubs could be pistols and spades could be knee-raises. You get the idea.

No matter how fit or unfit you are there is a way to tweak the intensity of this so that it's hard enough to work up a sweat and fight for breath, but that it's still sustainable for 10, 20 or 30 minutes. The variety of the random order of cards stops it from getting boring too.
    !!RENT SPACE HERE FOR 10 VBUCKS PER LINE PER MONTH!!

!! PM ME FOR SPEEDY SERVICE !!

Sponsored by our first customer: Repulsive Monkey

I <3 Sirc.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/11/2011 5:40pm

Style: MT, BJJ, BBT

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    This guy has got it figured out. My research in the area suggests that 10 minutes of continuous jumping (which is actually damn tough to build up to) is as good as 30 minutes of continuous running for your daily cardio.
Page 1 of 3 1 23 LastLast