Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/25/2011 12:46pm

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Judo Throws in Sumo

I just recently competed in a fundraising sumo event for my dojo and a local charity. I noticed that a lot of the (very amateur) sumo competitors would just charge right forward for a quick ring out. So when I circled to dissipate the freight train charge that always came, they would try to wrap up my upper torso and suplex me (badly) sideways out of the ring, using their continued momentum to recover the fumble. On a few occasions I threw them with O Goshi (or whatever the one is when you are countering), and it seemed pretty effective.

So, I'm wondering what people's take are on using Judo Techniques in a competition with sumo rules. Is it effective?

My dog is cuter and smarter than yours.

Posted On:
    4/25/2011 12:50pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Kodokan Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You mean Sumo throws in Judo?

Sumo has many throws similar to ones used in Judo, or vice versa depending on how you look at it.

Other than that, congrats on throwing some amateur sumo guys and raising some money.

That's what this is about anyway, right? You throwing noob sumo guys around?

Ben
    Falling for Judo since 1980

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/25/2011 1:04pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by BKR View Post
    Ah, well I suppose my question goes both ways. Though I'm far more interested in how Judo works against conditioned and trained sumo wrestlers in a sumo competition. (In this hypothetical scenario, they are the same weight, height, skill level in their respective arts)

That's what this is about anyway, right? You throwing noob sumo guys around?
    Well that is what brought up the question, I'm just trying to delve in more, in particular to what the Bullshido community thinks of using some of the application methods taught in Judo compared to the application of similar techniques (O Goshi, Uchimata, etc.) taught in Sumo, and the effectiveness of both. Last time i tried to do sumo I was in terrible condition and was wiped out in the first round. This time I did better, but i didn't end up winning the whole thing. I'm also a sumo noob.

My dog is cuter and smarter than yours.

Posted On:
    4/25/2011 1:08pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Kodokan Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Nonsensical question, good luck with that.

Why didn't you use aikido? LOL!

Ben
    Falling for Judo since 1980

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/25/2011 1:17pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Nonsensical question, good luck with that.
    Sorry for my ignorance, but do you mind explaining this a little more? Why is it nonsensical?

Why didn't you use aikido? LOL!
    Truthfully? Because there is no way it would work in that particular environment. The way I've been taught aikido is that it either requires you to be standing upright (ideally in a large open space with lots of exits, which is absolutely not a sumo ring, and being upright would likely cause you to lose a sumo match quickly) or being on your knees (which means you lose in sumo). Judo, I've noticed, has highly applicable throws from a very low base that work against resisting opponents.
    (Sarcasm) Also, i didn't want to KILL my opponents, I merely wanted to win. Aikido is too d34d1y for competition sports. (/Sarcasm)

BJJ might make you a better ground fighter, but Judo will make you a better dancer.

Posted On:
    4/25/2011 1:48pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Kokikai90 View Post
    Sorry for my ignorance, but do you mind explaining this a little more? Why is it nonsensical?
    Because sumo training is obviously more optimal for sumo... all else being equal the sumo guy would win the sumo match. You shouldn't need someone else to tell you this.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/25/2011 1:59pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Lu Tze View Post
    Because sumo training is obviously more optimal for sumo... all else being equal the sumo guy would win the sumo match. You shouldn't need someone else to tell you this.
    Ah. Gotcha. Well I suppose a more reasonable question would be "How compatible is Judo training for a Sumo competition?"

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/25/2011 2:27pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Also, the Sumo thing was a lot of fun, and I'm glad we were able to raise a bunch of money and put on a good show for the people who paid for it.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/26/2011 10:38am

Style: No-Gi BJJ/MMA/MT noob

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    This. Sumo is the older art/sport so most probably the throws that are similar came to Judo from Sumo, directly or via Trad Jujitsu.

Also: I'm pretty sure that Asashoryu - the previous Yokozuna trained Bokh (mongolian wrestling) and Judo before becoming a Sumoka.

Posted On:
    4/26/2011 10:41am

Join us... or die
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
Page 1 of 3 1 23 LastLast