1% Shark is better than you.

Posted On:
    4/11/2011 2:09pm

supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: BJJ/Shidokan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

ATTN: White belts! Want to get better?

STOP TRYING SO DAMN HARD. (in BJJ with people way better than you) Seriously. All you are doing is gassing yourself and making the person you are rolling with have to smash you.

If you are bigger and stronger than me and a white belt if you jump on me and go as hard as you can I have to roll more effectively and not give you opening to avoid getting hurt. This means you will spend time tapping not learning.

Let me try to explain this. I'm old enough to know what being injured means for me. I will not be able to help my wife take care of my baby and I won't be able to get work done at my job. So if you are trying to newb spaz me I have two options: Get hurt or totally dominate you (so I don't get hurt). Guess what? I don't plan to get hurt.

If you can roll at the same relaxed pace at which your betters are rolling you will get better much faster. You know why? If I'm not afraid of getting injured I will point things out to you and leave openings so you can learn faster and get better.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/11/2011 2:20pm

Style: BJJ, MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Your ability to exist in a life outside of the gym is completely irrelevant next to the glory and honor they will receive if they can eke even a single tap from you.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    4/11/2011 2:31pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Jiu Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    spazzing is part of the learning process for most beginners. you did it, I did it. It's not going to change. Most white belts know you are going to beat them. (the old "oh your gonna kill me" before you shake hands for a grapple) they are going to try to compensate their lack of skill with whatever they can do to give you what they think is a good challenge. Many of my past injuries come from these spazzers. Many times, its a young buck 17-25 trying it for the first time. He doesn't care about you being able to take care of your baby and neither does anyone else you don't know personally. Best thing to do is not "dominate" or "hurt before you get hurt". If he's spazzing, chances are his cardio isn't going to hold up for the entire match. Control the match and get the guy tired enough to actually slow down. This is often the turning point in which the noob realized his spazzing doesn't help his situation. When he's tired and sees that you are still in constant control without spazzing , hopefully he'll see that it was your technique and not your speed and strength that caused you to control the match. If you honestly feel that the guy is too big and your concerned about getting hurt than just don't roll with the guy. Simple enough. I've denied grapples a number of times and theres no shame in that..
    Last edited by GIburner; 4/11/2011 2:38pm at .

l Travel To Get Choked!

Posted On:
    4/11/2011 3:03pm

Style: Judo, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm still a BJJ white, but I've put a few years in Judo, and there are advantages to going balls-out with a higher belt who knows you're going to play hard. But, there's no point unless you know enough technique to go hard. I love to play roll with some of my instructors because they are simply better, and we can play hard for a round or two and nobody gets hurt.

I actually enjoy playing newbies, at 280lbs, I'm big enough to stay safe even if they spaz, and pinning, and chatting, with a new guy tends to get them through the spaz phase quickly.
    I do not aspire to be great, or even good, I hope to suck a little less then last class.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/11/2011 3:05pm

Style: BJJ, Boxing, Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    GIBurner, Spazzes never realize they're spazzing when they gas. They either give up, or they ask for a timeout because they don't have the cardio and "omg-\you are a machine/monkey, you little guy who I just tried to buttfuck but won't give the opportunity to once I'm tired after you survived my attempts to jump on top of you with my full bodyweight".

Learning not to spazz takes awhile, but until then, you're probably not interested in actually learning so I'm not going to open myself up for your attempts at being the next TUF and accidently cave my face in with your elbows as you once again sprawl in my guard trying to just push your weight on my face, instead of trying either of the two guard breaks we went over in class.

1% Shark is better than you.

Posted On:
    4/11/2011 3:07pm

supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: BJJ/Shidokan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by GIburner View Post
    spazzing is part of the learning process for most beginners. you did it, I did it. It's not going to change.
    NO. It is part of the failing process. Nothing is gained from aimless spazzing. I didn't do it btw and neither did several other guys that started about the same time as me. We all got better much much faster than our spazzy classmates. All you stand to gain are injuries.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    4/11/2011 3:26pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    failing is part of the learning process.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    4/11/2011 3:29pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm not saying that spazzing is a good thing, but unlike you, most beginners do spaz and grapple wildly at first. Grapple them with control or don't grapple them. this business of I hurt you before you hurt me is not the attitude to approach noobs with.

My dog is cuter and smarter than yours.

Posted On:
    4/11/2011 3:37pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Kodokan Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    failing is part of the learning process.
    Apparently, you know a lot regarding this thread then. Whiteshark is correct, of course.

Ben
    Falling for Judo since 1980

My dog is cuter and smarter than yours.

Posted On:
    4/11/2011 3:41pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Kodokan Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm not saying that spazzing is a good thing, but unlike you, most beginners do spaz and grapple wildly at first. Grapple them with control or don't grapple them. this business of I hurt you before you hurt me is not the attitude to approach noobs with.
    No, with proper instruction and guidance, they won't spaz, and if you tell them to stop, they usually will. If you just throw raw whitebelts in with the general group and ignore them, then they may well spaz.

And nobody is talking about hurting people who spaz.

As the instructor, if a white belt (or anybody else) won't do what I say, then I make them stop training, I don't hurt them. If they don't like it, they can leave.

Ben
    Falling for Judo since 1980
Page 1 of 4 1 234 LastLast