Yours truly

Posted On:
    4/10/2011 11:05pm

Business Class Supporting Member
     PDS Rifles Style: Univ. Florida Kickboxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Going too hard or easy on a newbie?

Wow, I haven't started a thread in a while. Omega vs Mrs. Coffeefan inspired to ask this question:

What do you guys think? Going too easy? Going too hard? Going too easy and hard in the wrong places? Pace too slow/fast? I basically want to know what I can do better in sparring new guys to help them improve faster.

I tried to keep him pressured every once in a while, because I wanted him to be better able to deal with pressure when sparring others his skill level. To my delight, he mixed it up with me a couple of times. He has pretty good footwork (I credit this to his observation skills; I always shout at everyone to keep moving when mixing it up, even though I suck at doing just that) for someone who has barely sparred before.

I'm an assistant instructor at my club, and I'm more or less in charge of getting guys ready for fights. My legs were burnt out from tabata drills so I'm really slow, but that shouldn't matter since if I turned the throttle up he wouldn't be able to keep up anyways. The kid I'm sparring started late last semester, and gets training twice or thrice a week. He started sparring middle of this semester.

Please ignore the talking guys in the video. They are advanced students but have no coaching experience.

Thanks for the help. Believe it or not Bullshido has been a valuable resource to help me run my university's kickboxing club.
    Last edited by dwkfym; 4/10/2011 11:10pm at .

Yours truly

Posted On:
    4/10/2011 11:12pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    BTW I know my skills are far far far from perfect, but I'd like to keep the thread focused on the topic

Administrator

Posted On:
    4/10/2011 11:44pm

staff
     Style: Chinese Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    No, that was good. I usually try to announce why I pop guys after the fact but that looked just about right.

Sick double leg.

Posted On:
    4/11/2011 2:37am

supporting member
     Style: Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    When I first started boxing, I was clearly going to be the worst person in my gym. Speaking as a student, when I do spar with someone better then me, things like 'too hard' or 'too easy' don't really tend to cross my mind. I can be getting my ass kicked, but as long as the experience is hard and not frustrating there's something I can take away from it. It looks like you found the line between pressuring him and overwhelming him and did a good job walking it.
    "That was the only way you could destroy me. Neither do I quail at death nor act in deference to any god. So drop your talk, I come resolved to die. But first, there are these gifts I bring for you." At once he hurled a javelin at his enemy, then sent another and another still straight to the mark. - Virgil's The Aeneid

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/11/2011 9:59am

Style: taekwondo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I have to agree with Kickapoo. In my experience the most important thing is to keep them from becoming frustrated or discouraged; but you have to fight hard enough to challenged them, otherwise they're won't recieve the benefits of sparring. I think it's best to keep a back-and-forth pace, like you did in the video, so they can try things out and still get use to being under pressure.
    Last edited by korean dragon; 4/11/2011 10:02am at .

Ninja Fruit

Posted On:
    4/11/2011 11:27am

Style: JKD, Jiu Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I hope you show the kid this video so he can see what to work on. I watched with no volume, but someone needs to be coaching him through the rounds.

I really like the fact that you were sticking to basics instead of showing off like some guys do with noobs. Your pace and power was right on for a guy with his experience.
    "Never trust a quote you read on the internet" - Abraham Lincoln

Yours truly

Posted On:
    4/11/2011 12:41pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I linked it to him. I want him to ask questions but hes a very quiet kid. 3/4ths of the kids at my club either never make it to sparring levels or quit after the first time gloves touches face. I never thought he'd stick to it. Plus, he keeps his hands up. lol.

I don't really have any boxing gimmicks, I just stick to straight punches to open, hooks and uppercuts, and keep scootin. lol. Hands are really not my strong point.

My boxing coach loves surprising me with classic boxing gimmicks though. I seems to be his punch timing practice machine.

1% Shark is better than you.

Posted On:
    4/11/2011 2:00pm

supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: BJJ/Shidokan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I think you need to wear shin guards. You may think you are kicking light but its too easy to hurt newbs without them. Also, once you hurt them with a conditioned shin they can get gun shy about your kicks.

Ninja Fruit

Posted On:
    4/11/2011 2:11pm

Style: JKD, Jiu Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by WhiteShark View Post
    I think you need to wear shin guards. You may think you are kicking light but its too easy to hurt newbs without them. Also, once you hurt them with a conditioned shin they can get gun shy about your kicks.
    Ummmm yeah. All those kicks were sure to hurt. How many kicks did you throw at him anyway?

um- edited to note that above post is sarcastic.
    Last edited by tao.jonez; 4/11/2011 2:46pm at .
    "Never trust a quote you read on the internet" - Abraham Lincoln

Sick double leg.

Posted On:
    4/11/2011 2:17pm

supporting member
     Style: Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Did I miss something? I didn't see any kicks thrown.

I think Shark was offering general advice, not necessarily about the video.
    "That was the only way you could destroy me. Neither do I quail at death nor act in deference to any god. So drop your talk, I come resolved to die. But first, there are these gifts I bring for you." At once he hurled a javelin at his enemy, then sent another and another still straight to the mark. - Virgil's The Aeneid
Page 1 of 3 1 23 LastLast