Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/10/2011 2:10pm

Style: MMA-Aikido-Kickboxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Judo or Jujitsu for the tiny?

So I was introduced to martial arts at about 4 yrs old when I started Karate. I kept up with it until I came to uni (and was disappointed with the **** club they have here) and picked up a few others (Aikido, KB and Capoeira).
    I love Aikido and as far as Aiki clubs go I think we're pretty good with maximising on practicality and realistic-ness. We do lots of ukemi as well which is great. However, because of the wide range of skill level/willingness to really throw and be thrown, I'll often go an entire session without breaking a sweat which is a problem because I'm the kind of person that needs to get a few bruises and sore muscles every so often to feel like I'm really doing/learning something.
    Through a couple martial arts camps I've had a chance to try out Judo and Jujitsu and I liked the combativeness of both. I'm thinking I'd prefer to do Judo because I like grappling and I'm pretty decent at it for my size (5'0, 112lbs) but I'm worried that I'll either be treated too delicately because I'll be seen as a tiny girl (at least initially) or that I just won't be able to accomplish anything training with a bunch of massive guys. Has anyone else had a similar problem? How did you deal with it? Which style do you think would be more practical?

Posted On:
    4/10/2011 2:19pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Squats and Milk.

Yes Judo is suited to small people as is BJJ. Choose the one you like best and then after a few years experience start crosstraining.

Yes, I am smarter than you are.

Posted On:
    4/10/2011 2:28pm

supporting memberstaff
     Style: TKD, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Plenty of girls your size involved in both Judo and BJJ (Avoid the traditional JJ if you actually want to pick up some bruises and sweat and whatnot). Check out BJJ Grrls Blog for links to all kinds of great resources for female grapplers.

My dog is cuter and smarter than yours.

Posted On:
    4/10/2011 2:33pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Kodokan Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Either one would be fine, pick the one you like best. Where are you located. Some judo dojo have more women than others. Also, you will get treated commensurate with your ability in either BJJ or Judo, if you go to a good dojo/gym.

Ben
    Falling for Judo since 1980

Posted On:
    4/10/2011 2:34pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Didn't read that properly first time round. If you're a girl don't do the squats and milk thing.

Loads of resouces for girls on BJJ, not so much Judo.

This is good and kind of covers both:
    http://www.grapplearts.com/Tips-For-...Grapplers.html

Posted On:
    4/10/2011 2:41pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by judoka_uk View Post
    Didn't read that properly first time round. If you're a girl don't do the squats and milk thing.
    Squats and milk are just as important for girls as they are for boys.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/10/2011 2:47pm

Style: ukemi & tapping out

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    As long as you train seriously, instead of dick around at practice, you'll be treated like anyone else. I've been owned by little girls that have put in the time and effort to be able to hang with bigger guys. Out of curiosity, what type of Jujitsu are you talking about?

Also, you should still do the squats. They're good for you.

Posted On:
    4/10/2011 2:53pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Lindz View Post
    Squats and milk are just as important for girls as they are for boys.
    The squats and milk GOMAD programme is designed for hard gaining men. Don't know if the same advice is safe or applicable for women.

Also 50 kgs at 5ft isn't an abnormal weight for a girl.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/10/2011 3:19pm

Style: MMA-Aikido-Kickboxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm in St Andrews (really small uni town) and I'm a student so I'm pretty much limited to the uni clubs so BJJ is unfortunately not an option at the moment only JJJ but the sensei here is super intense (and possibly insane). The Judo coach is supposedly really good..

Thanks for the links and the advice!

@ Just Guess: Yeah fair point, I take my training pretty seriously so I should be alright!

I'll put in a couple sessions of both and make a decision

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/10/2011 3:26pm

Style: Taekkyon/Judo/Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Jazz.w92 View Post
    Through a couple martial arts camps I've had a chance to try out Judo and Jujitsu and I liked the combativeness of both. I'm thinking I'd prefer to do Judo because I like grappling and I'm pretty decent at it for my size (5'0, 112lbs) but I'm worried that I'll either be treated too delicately because I'll be seen as a tiny girl (at least initially) or that I just won't be able to accomplish anything training with a bunch of massive guys. Has anyone else had a similar problem? How did you deal with it? Which style do you think would be more practical?
    We have a girl who's around your size in my uni's Judo club who can throw anybody's arse to the ground no problem. If you are serious about your training, guys will respect that. Tell the guys to relax (massive guys can muscle you, but that's not Judo), but make sure they don't treat you delicately like a piece of glassware.

Quote Originally Posted by judoka_uk View Post
    Squats and Milk.
    I thought squats and milk in general are good for both sexes. Although I am not too sure about the GOMAD program specifically.
Page 1 of 21 1 234511 ... LastLast