Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    12/01/2010 1:20pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: BJJ, Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

GA Smoker

Yes, I'm a noob but, please don't judge me solely based on that. Just a little background on me so you know who I am- My name is Phillipe Gentry and I am an Alliance brown belt in BJJ, have fought MMA since 2007 and I run my own MMA/BJJ school in Lawrenceville, GA. All that doesn't make me cool but, hopefully it does give me the ability to host a smoker.

I've never done this before but, think it would be awesome! Not only that, it would be great for my guys that aren't quite ready to fight at a bigger show, to get some experience.

My thoughts are as follows but, I'm completely open to suggestions:

Date- Jan 15th starting at 10am and going until whenever we are done.
    Location- Eagle Training Academy in Lawrenceville, GA.
    Cost- $20 to fight, $5 to watch (technically a mat fee)
    Details- I have a 16x16 ring and figured we could do 3, 3 mn rnds with people matched up as evenly as possible. I can get a few judges and a ref. I can probably also get medals of some sort for the winners.
    We have plenty of equipment such as shin pads, gloves etc for those that need to use them for the day.

Again, I'm totally open to feedback. You guys probably know more about this than I do so, please tell me what you think.

1% Shark is better than you.

Posted On:
    12/01/2010 1:31pm

supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: BJJ/Shidokan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Send a picture of your brown belt cert and maybe business license to an admin to get your verified tags.

Do you eat breakfast?

Posted On:
    12/01/2010 1:33pm

supporting member
     Style: Kitty Pow Pow!!!

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I have a fresh faced young chap who I'd love to have do a muaythai rules smoker. He doesn't really have much grappling experience, however, so unless you've got some pretty low level grapplers looking to fight, MMA would have to wait until another day.
    Ranked #9 internationally at 118lbs by WIKBA http://www.womenkickboxing.com/wikba...rch%202009.htm

Posted On:
    12/01/2010 1:34pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    As far as the smoker goes I think it's a great idea. I assume you mean mma rules? I'm guessing grappling only would make more sense at NAGA or something. If this gets off the ground I bet e have some interested guys and maybe a gal.

Do you eat breakfast?

Posted On:
    12/01/2010 3:15pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    On second thought, MMA rules is ok too if that's all your guys want to do. It'd be good experience for him nonetheless since he does want to fight MMA eventually. I mentioned it to him and he's excited about it, whatever the rules.
    Ranked #9 internationally at 118lbs by WIKBA http://www.womenkickboxing.com/wikba...rch%202009.htm

Do you eat breakfast?

Posted On:
    12/01/2010 3:19pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by KidSpatula View Post
    On second thought, MMA rules is ok too if that's all your guys want to do. It'd be good experience for him nonetheless since he does want to fight MMA eventually. I mentioned it to him and he's excited about it, whatever the rules.
    And on that note, if there are any girls who want some experience doing an un-scored exhibition I'd be happy to participate even MMA rules.

Posted On:
    12/01/2010 3:37pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by WhiteShark View Post
    Send a picture of your brown belt cert and maybe business license to an admin to get your verified tags.
    Thanks, what are my verified tags and what's the importance of that? I also, saw you live in ATL. Do we know each other?

Do you eat breakfast?

Posted On:
    12/01/2010 3:40pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Wicked Jitsu View Post
    Thanks, what are my verified tags and what's the importance of that? I also, saw you live in ATL. Do we know each other?
    The tags are the little icons at the top of a person's post (like instructor/amateur or pro fighter etc) that show the forum you've shown proof of your credentials to the admins. It doesn't mean much, but it shows forum dweebs a little about who you are without having to explain it or leave it to people to assume.

Posted On:
    12/01/2010 3:46pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by KidSpatula View Post
    That's exactly what type of people I'm setting this up for. My more experienced guys/gals fight on real shows at real venues.

This smoker is set up for guys or gals that want to fight but, don't have time to train the way you need to, to fight on a real card. Or, people that haven't fought yet but, want to get in there and mix it up.

This is for the weekend warriors or noobs, not real fighters that have been training everyday for years.

I am visualizing a casual event that's basically an intense sparring session with people you've never gone with before. Kinda a BJJ tourny environment but, for MMA .

Posted On:
    12/01/2010 3:46pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I train at Creighton MMA in Duluth. Been around the scene for a while but I haven't been very active outside of kickboxing a long time ago and grappling tournaments.

This is me:
    http://www.facebook.com/tomcrowley
Page 1 of 3 1 23 LastLast