Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/17/2010 8:00pm

Style: TKD & HKD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Taipei TKD Competitor Disqualified From Asian Games after 9-0 Lead

Yang Shu-Chun, who won a bronze medal at the Beijing Olympics in 2008 was DQ'ed after judges claim to have found extra sensors in the heels of her LaJust socks.

http://edition.cnn.com/2010/SPORT/11....china.taiwan/

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-pacific-11775465

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_HOmWs8HDkI

I'm not taking sides here, but it seems unfair of the WTF officials to give an immediate dq after just the first round when she is clearly leading 9-0 based mostly on head kicks. There were still two more rounds left, and I think any points that Yang was given electronically and not from the center referee should have been voided and maybe a point or two deduction.

This speaks directly towards some of the bias and corruption in WTF sport TKD that these electronic hogu were supposed to be eliminating. There is no way things like this can keep happening if people expect TKD to remain in the Olympics.

It also points out some major flaws in the LaJust system and makes me wonder more about complaints I have heard from local tkd competitors who used the LaJust system at the US Open for the past two years.

Anyone have experience using any of the EBP systems (LaJust, Daedo, Adidas)? I have heard nothing but praise for Adidas, but LaJust and Daedo both seem to still have issues.

Valiant Monk of Booze & War

Posted On:
    11/18/2010 1:25pm

supporting memberstaff
     Style: BJJ/C-JKD/KAAALIII!!!!!!!

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I don't need sensors to tell me when I step on your face.

1% Shark is better than you.

Posted On:
    11/18/2010 2:34pm

supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: BJJ/Shidokan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    This is what happens when you turn fighting into kiddie tag.

pro nonsense self defense

Posted On:
    11/18/2010 2:39pm

supporting member
     Style: FMA, dumbek, Indian clubs

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    How does that even give a fighter an advantage? They still have to kick and not get kicked, no?

Posted On:
    11/18/2010 4:55pm

Business Class Supporting Memberstaff
     Guy Who Pays the Bills and Gets the Death Threats Style: MMA (Retired)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Having judges decide the winner of a fight means it's not actually a fight.

Posted On:
    11/18/2010 5:16pm

supporting memberstaff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Phrost View Post
    Having judges decide the winner of a fight means it's not actually a fight.
    Don't you judge fights?:qright4:

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/19/2010 1:01pm

Style: TKD & HKD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by CodosDePiedra View Post
    How does that even give a fighter an advantage? They still have to kick and not get kicked, no?
    Correct, but because of the way the electronic body protector system (EBP) they were using worked, adding extra sensors would make it easier for the system to register points for the attacker. I know there are EBP systems that do not rely as heavily on the "sensor socks" to register points scored, but the WTF has jumped behind the LaJust system with too much enthusiasm IMO.

After doing a little more digging, it appears that the Taiwanese competitor had to wear an earlier iteration of the sensor socks because her size was unavailable at the event (insert chinese feet binding joke here). The ones she was wearing had the sensors attached by velcro so they could be moved. These were Korean-made and initially approved by the WTF until a new version was made with permanent sensors.

Other people have said that they can see the referee ordering Yang to remove the extra sensor around the 0:21 mark and it is only until she is well in the lead that a Chinese official begins to complain about her equipment and then a Korean WTF official makes his "ruling" by dq'ing yang.

Also, the winner of this match would have eventually faced the Chinese competitor who ended up winning the entire division against Japan yesterday.

As far as the "kiddie tag" comments go. I like playing this game (yes I called it a game) of kiddie tag where I get to kick people in the head as hard as I can without really worrying about scrambling mine or my opponents brains. It is fun for me and I'm getting in great shape doing it. I don't have any aspirations of being a national or international level competitor, but it is just like being a basketball or baseball player, you are truly interested in the pros and their going-ons.

/puts on flameproof doboke:angryfire

Posted On:
    11/19/2010 1:18pm

supporting memberstaff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by monkeypoo8762 View Post
    As far as the "kiddie tag" comments go. I like playing this game (yes I called it a game) of kiddie tag where I get to kick people in the head as hard as I can without really worrying about scrambling mine or my opponents brains.
    If you can kick people in the head as hard as you can, you need to worry about brain scramble.

The retrograde concussion that prevents me from ever competing again I received in a WTF event.

Quote Originally Posted by monkeypoo8762 View Post
    It is fun for me and I'm getting in great shape doing it. I don't have any aspirations of being a national or international level competitor, but it is just like being a basketball or baseball player, you are truly interested in the pros and their going-ons.
    I competed for years, and I still love the sport.

It's because I love the sport that I think sensors are a horrible move.

Day Tripper/Dream Weaver

Posted On:
    11/19/2010 4:25pm

supporting member
     Style: Shorei-ryu & Kumdo & TKD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    There was discussion on the LaJust system on another board and how it can be cheated. These electronic score keeping are a waste. Use the old manual method. If players are scared of being cheated then they need to knock their opponents out so there is no doubt or make it obvious that points were scored like the TPE player did in that video.
    Jeremy M. Talbott

Quote Originally Posted by Phrost
    "Bullshido isn't just a place to hang out when you're browsing the net. We really are trying to accomplish something fucking extraordinary here that nobody's ever had the balls to do before."
    Quote Originally Posted by D.Murray
    "Which is better, to learn the truth, or to enjoy the illusion of being right when you are not?"
    Quote Originally Posted by hangooknamja88 View Post
    My definition of Ki is our energy. it's rather hard to explain it in words. It's not some mystical type of energy like white people...

SUPPORT BULLSHIDO!

Posted On:
    11/19/2010 4:29pm

supporting memberstaff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Apparently I have a crush on you.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast