pro nonsense self defense

Posted On:
    10/03/2010 11:59am

supporting member
     Style: FMA, dumbek, Indian clubs

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Went to a (mostly) taekwondo tournament, filmed some sparring

Yesterday, I went to a martial arts tournament at Ocean Beach elementary in San Diego to support a friend of mine. There was people from a number of styles, including taekwondo, soo bah do, karate and Northern Mantis Kung Fu. The day's events started with kata competition, which I didn't really like but it was interesting seeing how patterns are different outside of kung fu (they're really quite different). Later there was sparring, and I took a bunch of video for your enjoyment. There was a solid level of contact, and though the face was not a legal target the head was. Have a look:
    YouTube - Men's advanced sparring, Ocean Beach martial arts tournament 2010

YouTube - taekwondo vs soo bahk do at Ocean Beach Martial Arts Tournament 2010

YouTube - taekwondo vs soo bahk do at Ocean Beach Martial Arts Tournament 2010 (2)

YouTube - taekwondo vs soo bahk do at Ocean Beach Martial Arts Tournament 2010 (3)

YouTube - taekwondo sparring at Ocean Beach martial arts tournament October 2010 (1)

YouTube - taekwondo vs soo bahk do at Ocean Beach Martial Arts Tournament 2010 (2)

YouTube - taekwondo sparring at Ocean Beach martial arts tournament October 2010 (2)

YouTube - taekwondo sparring at Ocean Beach martial arts tournament October 2010 (3)

YouTube - taekwondo sparring at Ocean Beach martial arts tournament October 2010 (5)

YouTube - taekwondo sparring at Ocean Beach martial arts tournament October 2010 (6)

YouTube - tae kwon do sparring at Ocean Beach martial arts tournament 2010 (7)

YouTube - tae kwon do sparring at Ocean Beach martial arts tournament 2010 (8)

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/03/2010 10:58pm

Style: taekwondo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Looks like fun. Which one was your friend

Posted On:
    10/04/2010 4:44pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by korean dragon View Post
    Looks like fun. Which one was your friend
    Actually I didn't post any videos of him in this thread yet. Here's some (he's in the black gi):
    YouTube - Allan sparring at Ocean Beach martial arts tournament 2010 (11)
    YouTube - Allan sparring at Ocean Beach martial arts tournament 2010 (10)
    YouTube - Allan Sparring at Ocean Beach martial arts tournament, 2010 (6)
    YouTube - Allan sparring at Ocean Beach martial arts tournament, 2010 (2)

Note: he's a yellow belt in judo, and his instructor also runs a taekwondo club at SDSU, so that's how he got into it. He had like 15 minutes of instruction on how their sparring works and he borrowed the sparring gear from me. I think he did outstandingly well considering that he's a judo guy.

Posted On:
    10/12/2010 11:20pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    This is interesting but there all so flat footed. Not only that but they seem to be so stiff. A serious Taekwondo Black belt would win hands down.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/22/2010 9:02am

Style: TKD/ TSD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I hope your friend had a good time (it appears that he did) and he performed well for having no experience, my hats off to him. We used to have some well mixed sparring tournaments many years ago in this area, but that has kind of become a thing of the past. There is only a couple of tournaments a year around this area and it is mainly a few TKD and Goju Ryu guys. Enjoy yourselves and enjoy the competition.

Posted On:
    10/22/2010 9:06am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by ssj10hey View Post
    This is interesting but there all so flat footed. Not only that but they seem to be so stiff. A serious Taekwondo Black belt would win hands down.
    Note that in almost all the first videos, those are taekwondo black belts, from a number of different schools.

also, LOL @ tkd black belt winning "hands down".

Posted On:
    10/22/2010 10:37am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Those guys shouldnt be black belts in any striking art!

Surely a serious legit TKD black belt has a bit more to offer in terms of footwork, using angles, putting combations together and some kind of defence.

Posted On:
    10/22/2010 11:10am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by babybull View Post
    Those guys shouldnt be black belts in any striking art!
    Whether or not they should be black belts in a striking art, they are, and represent different schools. You can say “not in my dojo!” all day, but the fact is that this was the face of BB sparring one day in San Diego.

Actual Photo

Posted On:
    10/22/2010 11:44am

supporting member
     Style: Recovery-Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by ssj10hey View Post
    ...in a TKD match ....

woo hoo way to go ... a real TKD black belt would win a TKD match against lower less skilled colored belts? No **** really ?

Wow.

Fucking Genius level observation there buddy. Your whole family must be so proud of you.
    Quote Originally Posted by CodosDePiedra View Post
    Whether or not they should be black belts in a striking art, they are, and represent different schools. You can say “not in my dojo!” all day, but the fact is that this was the face of BB sparring one day in San Diego.
    Agreed this is about what one can expect from an average strip mall MA school anywhere in the country.
    Last edited by BackFistMonkey; 10/22/2010 11:48am at .
    Quote Originally Posted by Bodhi108 View Post
    Nuke a unborn gay whale for Christ.
    “I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out.”
    BILL HICKS,
    1961-1994

Posted On:
    10/22/2010 11:54am

Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Backfistmonkey View Post
    Agreed this is about what one can expect from an average strip mall MA school anywhere in the country.
    Yes but in a metropolitan area the size of San Diego you should have a at least a few above average schools around. If they where there that day or not I have no idea.
Page 1 of 3 1 23 LastLast