Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Featherweight

Posted On:
    10/19/2010 8:40am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Jeet Kune Do

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Relative Strength (Pound for Pound Strength?)

Aright, I do not know the technical term for this, which may be the reason why I am having trouble finding more information on it. But, what is the name/type of program you can do to increase strength and not size? It is evident that some people have a better pound for pound strength than others, which is very usefull for wrestling or other sports that require you to make weight.
    Here is a description of pound for pound strength put into theory:
    If you train your muscles to produce the maximum amount of force they can at that body weight, you'll be able to run faster, jump higher, and make razor-sharp changes of direction a bigger guy with poor relative strength would be unable to duplicate (and he'd exhaust himself just trying).

I think thats just stating the obvious, but from what little I've read it is more about increasing neural efficiency between your brain and the muscle, as opposed to the other option of gaining more muscle fibers so you can contract more weight.

What do you guys know about this, and any advice on how to train for it as well? Thanks

TL;DR Ways for gaining more strength pound-for pound.

Posted On:
    10/19/2010 10:55am

Style: Judo & BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Short version: lift heavy **** for low reps and watch your diet. It's much more fun, though, to lift heavy **** for more reps, eat like a horse and then diet it off. Easier to get strong that way, too. Heavy weights (say, 90%+ 1RM) train mostly the nervous system.

Relative strength is kind of a dirty term, though.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    10/19/2010 11:12am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: judo,pancrace

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    im not an expert but i think i can help you.as said before the diet is one of the main thing.don't eat too much glucides and proteins.also i recommand you to use mainly body weight exercices.it will train your strenght+cardio.because strenght without cardio=o.look at shain carwin.so pull ups,dips,variation over push ups.also lower back and back also abdominal muscles are something you really want to train if you want to gain strenght.

POWERRR!

Posted On:
    10/19/2010 11:13am

Join us... or die
     Style: Boxing.MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    3-5 exercises
    3-5 sets of 3-5 reps

Lift Heavy. You'll only get noticably bigger/heavier if you have a calorie surplus
    "The hero and the coward both feel the same thing, but the hero projects his fear onto his opponent while the coward runs. 'Fear'. It's the same thing, but it's what you do with it that matters". - Cus D'Amato
    Spoiler:

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/19/2010 11:48am

Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Interval training.

Explosive exercises for short periods.

Low reps.

Diet, diet, diet.
    Last edited by SaintHamish; 10/19/2010 11:57am at .

Posted On:
    10/19/2010 12:05pm

Style: Judo & BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by sainthamish View Post
    Interval training.

Explosive exercises for short periods.

Make a light weight feel heavy.

Diet, diet, diet.
    Where to you people get this ****? No.

What the Hell is this is supposed to mean? Interval training? Good for GPP, good for fatloss, worthless relative strength. Make a light weight feel heavy? No. The point is to make heavy weights feel light!

There is one and only one way to get stronger: lift progressively heavier stuff. Its even better if you try to lift it fast. The way you get more powerful (force/time) is to lift stuff fast, increasing speed and/or weight over time. Everything else is just details.

Diet I agree with -- but don't be afraid to add some pounds. Every strong guy I know did not stay whip thin doing it. I'm not saying it applies here, but it always seems to be the dishrag thin guys afraid to lose their abs who want more relative strength ... It's one thing if you're a weight class athlete, but another if you're just and ordinary joe.

It's days like this I wish I had a home gym. I was this close to telling a person being "trained" last night that her "trainer" was a clueless moron.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    10/19/2010 12:10pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You grow when you feed your body.

The types of training that build strength don't fundamentally change based on if you want to get bigger or not. If you eat enough, you'll grow, if you don't, you maximize what you've got.

Despite your worst wears, it's very difficult to get massive and ripped, it won't happen by accident.

Posted On:
    10/19/2010 1:18pm

forum leader
     Style: BJJ/ MMA/ MT

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by fedorovsky View Post
    im not an expert.

No protein? Clearly you are not an expert.

Posted On:
    10/19/2010 1:22pm

Style: Limalama, Judo & BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Low reps at high weight is the type of outline you want for this goal. Two books I would recommend are Rock Iron Steel by Steve Justa and Power to the People by Pavel Tsatsouline.

Dysfunctionally Strong

Posted On:
    10/19/2010 1:23pm

supporting member
     Style: Boxing/Wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by fedorovsky View Post
    im not an expert but i think i can help you.as said before the diet is one of the main thing.don't eat too much glucides and proteins.also i recommand you to use mainly body weight exercices.it will train your strenght+cardio.because strenght without cardio=o.look at shain carwin.so pull ups,dips,variation over push ups.also lower back and back also abdominal muscles are something you really want to train if you want to gain strenght.
    If you have to preferace with "I'm not an expert" and "I think I can", just don't.
    "Emevas,
    You're a scrapper, I like that."-Ronin69
Page 1 of 5 1 2345 LastLast