Page 1 of 3 123 Last

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Finish a single leg by rolling?

It's a little hard to describe, but has anyone seen someone finish a single leg by holding onto the leg and rolling sideways, underneath the leg being held? Kind of forcing your opponent to roll with you because of the pressure on the knee?

I think I first saw this in pro wrestling (I know, I know), but when I began to study real grappling, I found a lot of the moves in pro wrestling came from real wrestling. Just wondering if anyone has seen this finish to a single leg and if it's effective or not.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Kind of like this??
    YouTube - Single Leg Barrell Roll

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    No, more like I have one of his legs in the air, then I roll towards the inside. Almost like I'm doing a shoulder throw where I drop to my knees... but not.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yeah, it's called a leg drag in pro wrestling. We call it a leg wizzer.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    ^Exactly^ Never heard the term leg whizzer, but seems like a pretty good description. Any comments on its effectiveness, or videos of the move? Is it worth finishing a single like that? Seems like it would work best in a "surprise! If you don't go with me, you'll never train jiu-jitsu again!" kind of way.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yeah it works if they're giving you that momentum. Sometimes they land right on you but you have to keep going with the momentum or they'll take your back.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Omega the Merciless View Post
    Yeah, it's called a leg drag in pro wrestling. We call it a leg wizzer.
    I thought it was called a dragon screw, what the OP is talking about.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by edtang View Post
    I thought it was called a dragon screw, what the OP is talking about.
    Thanks for actually contributing something to the discussion now sit out of this one and shut the **** up until you actually have something constructive to say.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    BTW for those who are reading I'm serious. I realize I could be nicer about it but when posting here if all you're going to do is argue about what you're supposed to call it stay out of this section of the forum. I don't care if you think it's casual conversation. The issues discussed in this part of the forum are about advanced techniques and how they work. The only discussion about what it is called should only be brought if nobody knows what it is. If we don't lay down this rule then you're going to be having the Judoka, Catch, and BJJ'ers arguing forever.

Certified Personal Trainer and Drinker of Coffee supporting member
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Name aside, there are several ways to perform that particular finish: barrel roll to the inside, rotate the person around you, lift the leg on your shoulder and perform a forward roll, etc. It does work but you have to have the timing down and, like Omega said, your opponent has to be giving you the right momentum.

I would be careful with this one, as it can screw up a person's knee.

Page 1 of 3 123 Last