Our Sponsors:

Page 1 of 6 1 2345 ... LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    10/14/2010 7:36am

Style: karate,MMA(between gyms)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

How do you know when you ready to start switching stance?

Seems most boxing and kicboxing coaches i have trained with seem to say that you have to train one side only, consistently. In karate they say train both sides, though it isn't a forced practice, so i noticed everyone has one side they train more than the other, myself included.

I have noticed that now that I am more experienced training and sparring hard, now that I have a more refined jab, switching stance now makes sparring feel really awkward, as I do most drilling with a left foot forward.

The question is this: How do I know if I am ready to start training with the other lead forward? This doesn't seem like a priority in most of the places i am training, and so i doubt the coaches/sensei is watching me saying "ALRIGHT, NOW YOU ARE READY TO FIGHT WITH A DIFFERENT STANCE" hell at one of the places, he said that one of the straight blast coaches he worked with says to NEVER switch stances. And i see him leaning in that direction.

So as an individual, how do I know when it is time to play with switching stance?

Why do I want to do this? Just something to play with/explore more.

Administrator

Posted On:
    10/14/2010 7:56am

staff
     Style: Chinese Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Just do it but stay on that side. When you become proficient on that side then you can play the switch game.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    10/14/2010 8:03am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Jun Fan Gung Fu, Savate

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    This is particularly why I love training in Jun Fan Gung Fu and Wing Chun along with all the other arts I do. It forces you to work in an unorthodox stance. Sure most people when sparring with stick to an orthodox stance, but being able to switch on a whim makes a pivotal part of any striking game. I say force yourself to train both. One of the things my instructors do is force us to switch lead during the drill. Meaning we throw the combination first in orthodox lead then vice versa. I have found this to be an exceptional way of training both leads and I hope it helps you.

Posted On:
    10/14/2010 8:05am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Omega the Merciless View Post
    Just do it but stay on that side. When you become proficient on that side then you can play the switch game.

Thanks.

Posted On:
    10/14/2010 8:06am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by TheTaoofJKD View Post
    This is particularly why I love training in Jun Fan Gung Fu and Wing Chun along with all the other arts I do. It forces you to work in an unorthodox stance. Sure most people when sparring with stick to an orthodox stance, but being able to switch on a whim makes a pivotal part of any striking game. I say force yourself to train both. One of the things my instructors do is force us to switch lead during the drill. Meaning we throw the combination first in orthodox lead then vice versa. I have found this to be an exceptional way of training both leads and I hope it helps you.
    Will keep in in mind.

pro nonsense self defense

Posted On:
    10/14/2010 8:18am

supporting member
     Style: FMA, dumbek, Indian clubs

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by TheTaoofJKD View Post
    Sure most people when sparring with stick to an orthodox stance, but being able to switch on a whim makes a pivotal part of any striking game.
    I disagree on the "pivotal part of any striking game" part

Posted On:
    10/14/2010 8:21am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yeah, there are guys who never switch and can beat alot of peoples asses who don't switch. Hell look at the Machida vs shogun fights. I think it is a useful skill to have though.

Do you eat breakfast?

Posted On:
    10/14/2010 8:42am

supporting member
     Style: Kitty Pow Pow!!!

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I really don't see the need for specifically training for stance switching. If you have a natural, balanced posture, you should be able to proficiently strike for any position.
    Ranked #9 internationally at 118lbs by WIKBA http://www.womenkickboxing.com/wikba...rch%202009.htm

When I Get Back

Posted On:
    10/14/2010 8:42am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    There have been a couple of threads which have touched on this subject and I have listed a few:
    To Southpaw or not to Southpaw - No BS MMA and Martial Arts

Southpaw or Orthodox - No BS MMA and Martial Arts

The Southpaw Guide. - No BS MMA and Martial Arts

Any righties prefer fighting southpaw? - No BS MMA and Martial Arts

Switching stance - No BS MMA and Martial Arts

If you read through these old threads, you will see a vast differing of opinion and it will be based on exposure, experience and skill-level.

Realistically, there isn't a right time. The right time will be when your coach tells you to switch, if at all. Your coach may never tell you to work the other side and then you will need to determine if it is because he is old school and doesn't think you should ever switch stance or if he doesn't think you are *ready* or adept enough to pull it off. Until then, work your hands the way you are told to and that will speed up the transition....or at the very worst, make you better.

Good luck.

Posted On:
    10/14/2010 8:55am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I should have used the search function.
Page 1 of 6 1 2345 ... LastLast