Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/07/2010 10:51pm

Style: Boxing and No Gi BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Eastern Dragon Taekwondo Federation Hong Kong (Farm Road Branch)

Aliveness- Class is noisy, but in a good way as people try to master strikes and spar. Instructors push the students really hard and I have never attended a class in which my hair wasn't wet thoroughly from my sweat by the end of the three hour session. Sparring is compulsory once you reach green belt (after a year or so) and it is full contact. Some students in our club has won medals in 'Secondary School Taekwondo Competition 2010 Hong Kong'. Only complaint is that it is WTF rules.

Gym size- Dojang is around 3000 square feet (around 298 square metres).

Equipment/Facilities- All equipment were renewed in 2007 so, by 2010, most of them are a bit worn out but generally still in good condition. Everything needed is supplied in the dojang and that includes paddles, punnching bags, stop watches, sparring gear, kick shields, target mitts and more and are all free to use by all students. Doboks can be bought for $35 (270 HKD) or rented for $2.57 (20 HKD) per use.
    No showers and the lockers require payment of $0.26 (2 HKD) for one day (10am-10pm) usage.

Instructor/Student Ratio: The maximum amount of students stated in the information pamplet is 25, but there are rarely more than 20 students if its not Friday, Saturday or Sunday. More like 10-15 students on weekdays except Friday. There are four teachers instructing at any one time and one of them is always 5th dan or above.

Atmosphere/Attitude: Everyone there is there because they want to. The isntructors are strict but nice and they come off as friendly people. Instructors will often stay behind after class for no payment, especially when testing is nearing, to teach the students. They sometimes will even arrange special lessons for people who really need help for no additional fee. The serious attitude of the instructors towards learning make the students work harder too.

Striking Instruction: Very good. The instructors demonstrate each and every lesson and shows excellent knowledge of taekwondo. Not only are kicks taught, but there is a number of hand strikes too. Their punches/knife hands and kicks have all gone through oak or brick! Two of our six instructors won bronze and silver respectively in 'Hong Kong Mens' Competition 2010' (most recognized competition within Hong Kong) in their weight division. All instructors are affliated to the Chinese Taekwondo Association, Hong Kong Taekwondo Association, World Taekwondo Federation and are Kukkiwon Certified.

Grappling Instruction: There is some taught to finish a fight if the opponent loses their focus or has gone to the ground. Pretty basic but effective.

Weapons Instruction: No nunchucks. No XMA either. Sorry. Sparring, as said before is full contact but equipment such as helmets are also worn. Minor bruising happens to me nearly every lesson accompanied with the occasional twisted ankle/wrist.

I don't know where to fit this in, but there isn't a demonstration team either.
    Last edited by Katriona1992; 10/10/2010 8:06am at .

Posted On:
    10/09/2010 8:08pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Ryobu-Kai Karate,Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    posted in wrong thread please delete.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/09/2010 8:26pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    how so? this is the review section for Korean martial arts dojangs...

Administrator

Posted On:
    10/09/2010 8:29pm

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Read that post again slowly.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/09/2010 11:07pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It is Fake, are you talking to me or Harai because I double checked my post and it seems fine...

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/09/2010 11:14pm

Style: In transition

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Dear, please go read the guidelines for Dojo Reviews.

Ratings and You - Read This Before Posting Your Review - No BS MMA and Martial Arts

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/10/2010 8:02am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    There. I altered the rating abit according to the guidelines.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/10/2010 8:07am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by helmutlvx View Post
    and I edited the post too. sorry for the mistakes :5headache

Actual Photo

Posted On:
    10/10/2010 8:18am

supporting member
     Style: Recovery-Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Katriona1992 View Post
    and I edited the post too. sorry for the mistakes :5headache
    ... and you are still either : not actually reading the guidelines, are completely full of ****, unable to make an unbiased review, or that is the BEST TKD school on the planet.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bodhi108 View Post
    Nuke a unborn gay whale for Christ.
    I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out.
    BILL HICKS,
    1961-1994

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/11/2010 4:26am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Backfistmonkey View Post
    ... and you are still either : not actually reading the guidelines, are completely full of ****, unable to make an unbiased review, or that is the BEST TKD school on the planet.
    a) I did read the guidelines again...

b) no...I am not full of ****.

c) I am writing this as unbiased as I could. Its not like I get paid for praising my school. :eusa_thin

d) I won't say that it is the "best" tkd school ever (probably because I have not travelled around the globe visiting every dojang) but the instructors here are cetainly much more hardcore, strict and more caring about the students than the ones I have met whilst searching a school, both while I was back in Brooklyn, NY and in Hong Kong. Also, I've tested what I actually learned with my friends who did wing chun and muay thai and I did pretty well so I know what they teach aren't bullshit.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast