Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    9/21/2010 5:00pm

Style: None

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Sources for Surplus Rifles?

Okay folks, it's time for me to start yet another thread about something I can't afford. To cut a long prologue short, my shock at the cost of a CZ 550 FS chambered in 6.5x55mm Swedish Mauser led me to look into Swedish surplus rifles. My trouble is that the signal to noise ratio sucks, particularly on Google.

I would like an m/38 if I can get it, but I'd settle for an armory-shortened m/96—or original m/96—if necessary. Also, I'm looking for at least “Good” condition. Would any of you mind cluing me in on your favorite sources for surplus rifles? I don't have a C&R FFL and don't plan on getting one, by the way.

EDIT: I hope you all tolerate my day dreaming as much as I enjoy learning for its own sake.

Posted On:
    9/21/2010 5:43pm

Join us... or die
     Style: FMA, Ego Warrior

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Big 5 Sporting Goods. Often have old Swedish guns.

Wait...

BOOM! Here you go...
    http://www.ebang.com/guns_for_sale/-/swedish_mauser/0/

Or you could just save yourself the trouble of finding, buying, cleaning, head-spacing, and feeding an obscure old rifle, and get yourself one of these in .243 Winchester (6.2mm):

http://www.savagearms.com/firearms/finder/

Good luck!

Posted On:
    9/22/2010 3:05pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Machette View Post
    Or you could just save yourself the trouble of finding, buying, cleaning, head-spacing, and feeding an obscure old rifle, and get yourself one of these in .243 Winchester (6.2mm):

http://www.savagearms.com/firearms/finder/
    Thanks, I'll keep checking with ebang. Big 5 was no help, and I'm a bit wary of the fact that they don't have any stores on my side of the country.

As for Savage, I'm pretty well stuck on 6.5x55mm...for reasons I can't quite explain. I will probably look into calibers with similar (external and terminal) ballistics after I've had time to get used to the idea, though.

Lastly, I'm turned off by modern rifles that have synthetic stocks and—more importantly—lack iron sights. That is why the Tikka T3 and Howa M-1500, priced almost symmetrically between a surplus rifle and the CZ 550 FS, don't appeal to me. I am about to resume my search for modern rifles which, at least, have iron sights.

I hope this doesn't come off as stubborn or ungrateful; I'm just experiencing a bit of “exciting and new (to me)” at the moment.

Posted On:
    9/22/2010 4:19pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Robstafarian View Post
    I am about to resume my search for modern rifles which, at least, have iron sights.
    So much for that idea, the only other rifle I can find chambered in 6.5x55mm Swedish Mauser which has iron sights is the Sako 85 Bavarian. For the cost of that rifle, I could buy at least two of the CZs that I already think are too expensive.

This is what happens when you choose a caliber most Americans don't use, which the rest of the world regards as a long-range caliber (hence a scope is assumed).

EDIT: The Steyr Mannlicher Classic is available in the aforementioned caliber, but it costs at least twice what the Sako costs. This just goes to prove that I have good taste...and that the CZ is a much better deal than I thought.

Posted On:
    9/22/2010 7:07pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    That is why the Tikka T3
    FWIW, I have a Tikka T3 "supper varmint" in .308 that hits whatever I aim it at every single time I shoot it.

Only taken it out twice, and the second time it put a 230lbs sow in the freezer! No complaints here!

I do believe there is a version with iron sights installed too.

Posted On:
    9/22/2010 11:51pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Machette View Post
    FWIW, I have a Tikka T3 [...] I do believe there is a version with iron sights installed too.
    Well, looks like you've got me there. I can more or less mimic the CZ 550 (forgetting the Mannlicher-style stock) if I get a Tikka T3 Hunter (Long) with optional open sights and a single set trigger. Damn shame I can't find a item code or model number for that configuration.

Google, ho!

(Thanks)
    Last edited by Robstafarian; 9/23/2010 12:24am at . Reason: I don't want a lacquered stock...I don't think.
    Quote Originally Posted by Snake Plissken View Post
    cuz FastPass on Indiana Jones was like being a ghetto rock star.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kiko
    But graffiti isn't a bowl of fruit...
    Merely insulting you is not an ad hominem fallacy: them calling you an idiot would be ad hominem if they said "You are an idiot, therefore your argument is invalid."

What is instead happening is thus:
    1. Your argument is bullshit.
    2. You keep repeating, and expanding upon, your argument.
    3. Therefore, you are an idiot.

That isn't an ad hominem fallacy; that's inductive reasoning.

Posted On:
    9/23/2010 3:04am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    One last update before I finally go to bed. I love Popeye's spicy chicken tenders, but they seem to keep me up later every time I eat them (Tums doesn't help, and milk buys me maybe 10 minutes).

It would appear that Beretta has decided to dry up sources of the Tikka T3 in 6.5x55mm Swedish Mauser for us in the USA. Anything listed as an option by Tikka isn't available, either. I have found a couple of dealers who have the rifle in the caliber I want, but there's no way I'll be able to get iron sights on a Tikka. Canadians are being similarly screwed by Stoeger (who imports Tikka and Sako to Canada), so I'm not as angry as I would've been. It would appear the Canadians have less access to 6.5x55mm ammunition than we do—so much for the European connection.

The way it looks for now, I can either get a Swedish M/38 in “Good” condition (with a crack in the stock, no less) shipped and ready to pick up for about $350. Add $500 to that and you've got the cost of the CZ. I will probably end up buying an M/38 as soon as possible because they, even more than the M/96s, seem to have found their way to people who want to keep them.

At least I managed to afford a defense-oriented firearm while the getting was good.
    Quote Originally Posted by Snake Plissken View Post
    cuz FastPass on Indiana Jones was like being a ghetto rock star.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kiko
    But graffiti isn't a bowl of fruit...
    Merely insulting you is not an ad hominem fallacy: them calling you an idiot would be ad hominem if they said "You are an idiot, therefore your argument is invalid."

What is instead happening is thus:
    1. Your argument is bullshit.
    2. You keep repeating, and expanding upon, your argument.
    3. Therefore, you are an idiot.

That isn't an ad hominem fallacy; that's inductive reasoning.

Posted On:
    9/23/2010 11:22am

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The way it looks for now, I can either get a Swedish M/38 in “Good” condition (with a crack in the stock, no less) shipped and ready to pick up for about $350.
    Nice! That's not a bad deal for a somewhat hard to find surplus rifle.

Plus, now you get the fun of cleaning it up, and repairing / oiling the stock. That's one of my favorite parts of buying a surplus rifle, you get to know the internals intimately when you detail strip them to clean the cosmoline off and fight back the inevitable traces of oxidation.

It's a much more personal process with the weapon than simply buying something NIB.

Shoot safe bro!

Featherweight

Posted On:
    9/27/2010 12:56pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Jeet Kune Do

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    gunbroker.com has a shitstorm of results for this (btw I took 30 seconds to do this so if you look around you'll probably find something better.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...Item=192853613
    Here's a rifle starting at 1 cent
    http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...Item=191254322

and for that CZ 550 Long
    http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...Item=192447707

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/27/2010 3:25pm

Style: Shotokan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    http://www.auctionarms.com