Sponsored Links Spacer Image

I am a living legend!

Posted On:
    8/31/2010 1:46am

supporting member
     Style: Tatsumaki Senpuu Kyaku

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

This past month, I did an awesome experiment just to prove a fatty friend wrong.

Sometimes, I like to come down from my throne on Olympus and hang out with people who aren't nearly as beautiful or sexy as me. Yes, and this is hard to admit, I have fat friends, much like you and your fellow friends.

I have this one fat friend who has been complaining for the better part of our entire lives knowing each other about how fat she is and how it's IMPOSSIBLE to lose weight. This seems to be a trend amongst the women I know. If it's too difficult, they just... won't try and give up. Anyway, I told her that all it really takes is to eat better and exercise, even just a little bit.

So rewind to the beginning of the month. I purposefully gained about 11lbs, rocking my weight up to 160lbs, probably the heaviest I've ever been. I had a little ankle injury so I wasn't really training. I told her that by the end of the month, I would not only lose the weight, but it'd be all fat, and not water weight.

So at the beginning of August I stopped eating doughnuts and hamburgers and other awful things for my body. I was effectively losing about 3-4lbs a week from changing my diet. I kept to it faithfully, only faltering about twice. When my ankle healed, I started training again and working out. Nothing too major, I think in total about 6 hours a week. Mostly Judo and a little bit of bagwork.

So today I weighted myself in at 149lbs. In a matter of only 30 days, I dropped 11lbs of fat. This is 149lbs, wet weight, after having had dinner. I'm probably closer to 145lbs dry weight.

Anyway, I tell her of my progress as I go along, which only made her more angry and she just kept making up excuses. Things like, "OH WELL IT'S TOO EXPENSIVE TO EAT HEALTHY." which I replied, "I spend about $25/week on salad, tuna, chicken and rice."

Then it was, "BUT I DON'T HAVE TIME TO EXERCISE." which I replied, "Well stop watching Twilight and spend like 20 minutes jogging."

The excuses kept coming on. It wasn't until I said, "Stop making excuses." which really meant, "It's your fault you're overweight." that she decided to shut up. Not that this is any kind of secret. Eat healthy + exercise = lose weight. It's just that I don't understand how people just... refuse to understand this is how it's done. Now, sure, it's a lot easier for me to lose weight because I'm so used to cutting weight and my body is used to jumping around and sure, it's not like she could drop 11lbs in 1 month, but, it's very clear that just doing those 2 things will bring you down to an acceptable healthy weight.

Dysfunctionally Strong

Posted On:
    8/31/2010 2:04am

supporting member
     Style: Boxing/Wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Couple of faults I see

-How are you measuring that it is pure fat lost, rather than muscle, fat, and water, which is usually lost on a calorie restriction diet?
    -She does have a point in that there is more to it than diet and exercise for women in terms of hormonal flux, but that wasn't what her excuses were in regards to.

But that's just nit-pickey
    "Emevas,
    You're a scrapper, I like that."-Ronin69

STOP POSTING!

Posted On:
    8/31/2010 2:21am

supporting member
     Style: Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    that first part is easy emevas- sirc doesnt have any muscle to begin with

Dysfunctionally Strong

Posted On:
    8/31/2010 2:23am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex View Post
    that first part is easy emevas- sirc doesnt have any muscle to begin with
    ZING!
    "Emevas,

Dysfunctionally Strong

Posted On:
    8/31/2010 3:34am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    But to make this thread into something useful, my best strategy for fat loss so far has been restricting grains and starches after lunch and making veggies my primary carb source.

I actually have to work to keep myself out of ketosis. I can eat chicken and salad for every meal.
    "Emevas,

I am a living legend!

Posted On:
    8/31/2010 3:45am

supporting member
     Style: Tatsumaki Senpuu Kyaku

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Emevas View Post
    Couple of faults I see

-How are you measuring that it is pure fat lost, rather than muscle, fat, and water, which is usually lost on a calorie restriction diet?
    -She does have a point in that there is more to it than diet and exercise for women in terms of hormonal flux, but that wasn't what her excuses were in regards to.

But that's just nit-pickey
    Serious Answer:

I was not on a calorie restriction diet. I was taking in somewhere between 2000-2400 calories a day, which is normal for me. I'm pretty certain it was fat as I weighed myself in the mornings and i have access to my dad's medical office which I use any time I need to, to get an estimate on my body fat percentage. They use one of those weird tub thingies.

I understand that it's more difficult for women because of hormones and stuff. I know she's not going to drop a ridiculous amount of weight in a short period of time. I just wanted to really drive the point home that working out + food = winning at the battle against obesity.

Quote Originally Posted by Emevas View Post
    But to make this thread into something useful, my best strategy for fat loss so far has been restricting grains and starches after lunch and making veggies my primary carb source.

I actually have to work to keep myself out of ketosis. I can eat chicken and salad for every meal.
    I have been making rice my primary carb source, it's not the greatest as it's all pretty empty. But it does the job. I'll substitute green beans that I do a light dab of olive oil and pan cook them with chicken or tuna.

I've pretty much been conditioned to eat rice with every single meal, so it's not hard for me to keep myself out of ketosis.

Dysfunctionally Strong

Posted On:
    8/31/2010 3:48am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Sirc View Post
    Serious Answer:

I was not on a calorie restriction diet. I was taking in somewhere between 2000-2400 calories a day, which is normal for me. I'm pretty certain it was fat as I weighed myself in the mornings and i have access to my dad's medical office which I use any time I need to, to get an estimate on my body fat percentage. They use one of those weird tub thingies.

A water submersion tank? Or something else?

I'm mainly asking how you are determining a net loss of zero muscle. Phrases like "all muscle" and "all fat" tend to drive me nuts.

And how did you lose weight without calorie restriction? A deficit must have been created, no?
    "Emevas,

1% Shark is better than you.

Posted On:
    8/31/2010 6:50am

supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: BJJ/Shidokan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Also, your "walk on the wild side" of heating donuts and being lazy for a month is nothing compared to a lifetime of fatty habits. You probably didn't change your base metabolic rate very much. Hers probably sucks.

Posted On:
    8/31/2010 7:09am

Style: mma /boxing/muai thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    This is my amazing weight loss program.
    Aquamans +1-1 program.
    +1 bit of extra exersize -1 bit of **** food.

This is very similar to sircs aproach as far as I can see.

It is simple cos I am dumb.

So I do agree with sirc on this one. The worst thing you can do for a fatty with a lifetime of bad habits is to give them a proper program. It is too complicated and leads to failure
    Last edited by gregaquaman; 8/31/2010 7:13am at .

Posted On:
    8/31/2010 7:13am

forum leader
     Style: BJJ/ MMA/ MT

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yeah, putting on five kilos then losing it is easy. I do it regularly, except the other way around.
Page 1 of 8 1 2345 ... LastLast