Featherweight

Posted On:
    8/23/2010 4:22am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Brazilian Jiu Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Villari's "BJJ Instruction"

I noticed a Villari's School in my area which had a sign claiming they offered Brazilian Jiu Jitsu. Seeing as how I train in the only school within an hour that had BJJ I was surprised I hadn't heard about it. I went to their website (http://www.villarisri.cmasdirect.com/) to check on it and came across this description of their BJJ instructor:

"Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu and MMA class with Don Perkins. Don is a life-long practitioner of BJJ and offers a wealth of excellent grappling tools & strategies. He has fought professionally and was nationally ranked. Meets Fridays 7:00-8:30PM For students age15+"

I do somewhat follow grappling, and I had not heard of Don Perkins before. Since he was "nationally ranked" I decided to look him up. I couldn't find any record of him competing in BJJ, or mentioned with BJJ anywhere. I e-mailed the school and expressed interest in their program and asked what Mr. Perkins rank was and who he'd trained under:

Mr. Perkins told me he was a second degree black belt and had been training for 34 years. He started training at 5 years old in Tucson under a man named Donde Vlrable.

This struck me as odd as, to my understanding there was no BJJ really in the US in the mid seventies, and the fact that there is also no record of anyone named "Donde Vlarble" ever existing on the internet either. In fact I can't find record of anyone with this last name ever, and "donde" in Portuguese means "where."

I asked him who Donde had trained under and he said "a Gracie." After our exchange I came across this page on the site: http://www.villarisri.cmasdirect.com...nstructors.pml

Here it claims he is a third degree black belt and that he has a 263-0 professional BJJ record. The first part contradicts what he told me and the second part is just ridiculous.

He very clearly is making things up as he goes along and he claims all along that he's very insulted by me.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    8/23/2010 5:32am

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I should also point out that in his communication with me he insisted that "Donde Vlarble" came from Brazil and only trained his father, brothers and himself, and that that was why there was no record of him.

Posted On:
    8/23/2010 8:14am

Style: bjj/judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I thought the grappling in Shaolin Kempo was already covered by Chin Na and the "serpent".

I do know of some SK schools that do bring in legit BJJ instructors, but they are usually not still affiliated with Villari.

Posted On:
    8/23/2010 8:27am

Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Can someone screen capture that **** before it disappears?

Actual Photo

Posted On:
    8/23/2010 8:43am

supporting member
     Style: Recovery-Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Bullshido shrank it to 800 x 600 but I have a bigger version.

Quote Originally Posted by Bodhi108 View Post
    Nuke a unborn gay whale for Christ.
    I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out.
    BILL HICKS,
    1961-1994

Featherweight

Posted On:
    8/23/2010 8:44am

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I have a whole e-mail conversation I had with him which I just summarized a bit here. If people want to see the whole thing I'll post it.

Posted On:
    8/23/2010 9:01am

Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I might be crazy, but is that a picture of Mike Swain on their homepage?

Yes, I am smarter than you are.

Posted On:
    8/23/2010 9:03am

supporting memberstaff
     Style: TKD, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    "Nationally Ranked" is most likely a reference to NAGAs rankings. He probably is Nationally Ranked, somewhere around 10,000th place in the nation. That's about where I am I think.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    8/23/2010 9:04am

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Wow. I didn't notice. That really does look like they just used a photo of him there.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    8/23/2010 9:05am

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Kintanon View Post
    "Nationally Ranked" is most likely a reference to NAGAs rankings. He probably is Nationally Ranked, somewhere around 10,000th place in the nation. That's about where I am I think.
    I haven't been able to find his name in anywhere relating to BJJ, NAGA or otherwise.
Page 1 of 7 1 2345 ... LastLast