Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/01/2006 6:35pm

Style: Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Beaver Boxing - Ottawa Ontario

The gym itself is almost your prototypical boxing gym, the kind of one you imagine when you think 'boxing gym'. The facilities are a good setup with plenty of heavy bags, two rings and everything else a up and coming Boxer could need including weight and cardio machines.

The trainers are excellent to say the least, all of them having a decade or more as coaches and as Boxers themselves in some cases, they push you hard and expect the best out of you but its well worth it in the end. when one leaves the fitness class or even just training with one of them you never leave with the feeling 'I could have done more'
    New folks are taken to the side and helped by either a coach or a more experienced student so your never thrown right into it unless you want to be.

The other boxers are the gym are great, helpful to those who are newer to the gym and with a very open and friendly additude, you won't meet many folks here who think they are 'the ****' and act like jackasses to everyone who hasn't sparred and beaten them into submission.

If you wish to compete, you can train to compete and will be helped in doing so, the gym has half a dozen boxers who actively compete in provincial and sometimes at even higher levels in both women and mens boxing.
    Sparring is allowed as soon as you feel your ready to step into the ring and if one of the coaches approves as well. Meaning of course he or she doesn't think your going to get completely demolished in the ring.
    The 'Fitness' classes give a great workout if your looking for only that, they are atleast an hour long and they give you a good cardio workout to say the least, with pad work and heavy bag drills towards the end of the class.

Its not all roses and happiess tho, the gym itself isn't massive so during the fitness classes it can feel a little cramped, as well this can also cause the trainers to be a little unassessable, not due to their own fault but because they have alot of people seeking advice and whatnot.
    The hours of the gym are also very limited when compared to some others, its only open three days a week (Mon/Wens/Fri) from 4 to 8 at night.

But really, these are minor cons when compared to the pros of going to this gym, the trainers/coaches are excellent and experienced, the facilties are great overall and the people are almost without exception really friendly and helpful, its quite simply the best gym i'v ever trained at.

Administrator

Posted On:
    12/01/2006 1:46am

supporting memberhall of famestaff
     Style: Muay Thai & BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thank you, good review!

^ the answer to life

Posted On:
    12/26/2008 9:53pm

Style: bjj/(not enough)MT

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I was totally expecting something else when I saw this thread...

I am disappointed
    In summation your argument denotes a lack of intellectual honesty on your part. It is my contention that this matter would best be solved with fisticuffs. I believe I will be victorious in this regard.

Posted On:
    3/15/2009 2:54am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Taekwondo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Does anyone know if this gym has changed locations by any chance?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/25/2009 9:06am

Style: Boxing, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by amert View Post
    Does anyone know if this gym has changed locations by any chance?
    Not to necro-post, but the gym is by Carling/Kirkwood, by the Firestation (Ladder 1).

Posted On:
    8/12/2010 1:19am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    hey i just wen to carling/kirkwood(1447) and the building was trashed windows broken etc, I think they moved somewhere else...been searching on the internet but no luck

any ideas?

Posted On:
    8/12/2010 8:10am

Style: Siling Labuyo Arnis

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by RamboWEST View Post
    hey i just wen to carling/kirkwood(1447) and the building was trashed windows broken etc, I think they moved somewhere else...been searching on the internet but no luck

any ideas?
    They've moved in with N1 while they look for a new location. They're on Preston, north of Carling at the moment.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/13/2011 2:11am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    They've moved into a new location on Elm St. The new gym is HUGE and there's about twice as many boxers as there were when this review was written. They've also bought lots of new equipment - 3 speed bags, a swinging sandbag, a double end bag, new ring, and about a dozen or so new heavy bags (teardrop, 100bs, 70lbs, and various uppercut/hook bags).

It's $120 / 3 mo, or $100 / 3mo (student ID required). You can also pay monthly for $5 more; no contract or anything. Also, the is open FIVE DAYS per week now, Mon - Fri, 4pm to 8pm. They've also gotten a GP to come in and give fighters a medical every once in awhile, so they can be cleared to box competitively. The GP charges $30, which is around $100 than a family doctor charges.

Anyhow, the new facilities and equipment are great, as are the new hours of operation. Definitely the best boxing club in Ottawa (IMHO), when you consider what you get.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/13/2011 2:24am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Correction, the new location is at 145 Spruce Street