Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/10/2010 2:45pm

Style: ShinKyokushin/Shitoryu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Sports Karate (TippyTappy) - Dimitris Triantafyllis

Dimitris Triantafyllis

The name is a big name in the world of sports karate. Former WKF gold medalist etc.

I've always loved watching his matches, and i stumbled across his training video and it was goooood....

YouTube- ‪BEST OF DIMITRIS TRIANTAFYLLIS‬‎

YouTube- ‪triantafyllis - training day‬‎

Just wanted to share how tippy tappers really train hard to be good tippy tappers.

Btw the heavy punches in the matches most probably are fouls (besides the ones where the opponent does not defend himself, then it is his fault, so you get the point) but he still won in the end, it is all part of the sport.

Big respect for such a dedicated sportsman.
    Last edited by aznraven; 8/10/2010 2:48pm at .

Posted On:
    8/10/2010 2:57pm

Style: Gym drifter

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    All of this is about 20 years late.
    Quote Originally Posted by MrBadGuy
    The Dog kid's mom is parked next to me in the parking lot. He runs up and asks me a question. "Hey dude, where did you learn that stuff?"

"That was grappling. Real MMA."

"Where do I go for that?"

I was a little shocked. Sure, he changed sides quickly, but I guess even a dog can realize it has more in common with the wolf than with the shephard.

I give him the names of some BJJ schools in the area, and we go our separate ways.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/10/2010 2:59pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Siniq View Post
    All of this is about 20 years late.

hmm? me no understand. Searched the forum for his name before I posted. 0 threads on him. :icon_scra

Posted On:
    8/10/2010 3:10pm

Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by aznraven View Post
    hmm? me no understand. Searched the forum for his name before I posted. 0 threads on him. :icon_scra
    We live in a post UFC 1 world. It is actually easier to find ammy and pro mma venues than it is to still locate these Original Karate Kid with Ralph Macchio style tourneys. This guy is training like a beast to do outdated light contact point sparring against TMA hobbyists. It's retarded.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/10/2010 3:19pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Vorpal View Post
    We live in a post UFC 1 world. It is actually easier to find ammy and pro mma venues than it is to still locate these Original Karate Kid with Ralph Macchio style tourneys. This guy is training like a beast to do outdated light contact point sparring against TMA hobbyists. It's retarded.

His opponents, like him are mostly paid athletes who represent their country, not "TMA hobbyist". Light contact sparring is not "outdated" this is sports karate. And no, sports karate tournaments are still held very regularly all over the world, just that most of them are not advertised much outside of the dojos that practice it, because it is not made for entertainment.

Posted On:
    8/10/2010 3:31pm

Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Someone is paying those guys to fight like 6 year old krotty kids in front of empty seats in high school gymnasiums?

You have to work the look.

Posted On:
    8/10/2010 3:35pm

supporting member
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    This video is pretty hilarious. Highlights for me were him going spastic while connected to what looked like a cross between a leg curl machine and a polygraph, and the bit towards the end where he was "squatting". I say "squatting" because I can't think of what to call it. He unracks a bar that's too heavy for him, does a couple of nor-even-1/4 squats, then drops the bar and makes a tiger face.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/10/2010 4:31pm

Style: Muay Thai, Savate

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Vorpal View Post
    LoL? Competitions, in Europe, are still widespread and well attended by competitors. A local competition still draws around 200-300 competitors. In most countries sports karate is still far more widespread than MMA.

Btw the heavy punches in the matches most probably are fouls (besides the ones where the opponent does not defend himself, then it is his fault, so you get the point) but he still won in the end, it is all part of the sport.
    According to the judges movement, flags, they were all counted as points.

It's simple really, sports karate still has many members which also means there are many people doing that type of competition. Any sport when done at a high level, and this guy is competing at world level, requires a lot of training.
    Last edited by aiyer; 8/10/2010 4:58pm at .

Posted On:
    8/10/2010 7:14pm

Join us... or die
     Style: FMA, Ego Warrior

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    His mastery of bullshit is very impressive.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/10/2010 8:18pm

Style: Karate-knockdown, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Though I believe that sport karate has its place among the general population that don't compete in kickboxing, MMA, boxing, or knockdown, it is not for those who want heavy contact. Most of my adult students don't waste their time with "tag" sparring, as they get disqualified for excessive contact. And that gets very expensive, very quickly as the tourneys are pretty pricey.

The only thing that really burns me about point sparring is that most who compete in that arena fo competition think they are bad mama-jammas. I had oneof my students get told last week by one of the local point sparring bigshots that those of us who compete in full contact are just brawlers and that we have no technique. It is because her husband and sons are all point fighters. I guess they will always live in their own little world.
Page 1 of 11 1 2345 ... LastLast