Featherweight

Posted On:
    8/08/2010 8:58pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Kempo Karate

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Self Defense Weapon Suggestions

Ok well i'm going to school next year and now that i'm 18 and i can purchase whatever the hell i want off the internet i've been looking into buying a non-leathal self-defense weapon. I am a black belt but concealed weapons or that sort of thing are kinda a piece of mind thing. I'm going to Boston, and after watching this.

(on second thought, i won't post the vid, idk if im allowed to or not, little graphic, just search "Street Thugs vs Badass with Bat: Battle in Boston")

I'm not worried, but id like to invest in something.

So what do you guys suggest?

Im going to list what i've considered, add anything to my list, or comment plz.

Non-Leathal:
    Brass Knuckles
    Disguised Yawara stick

Semi-Leathal:
    OTF Knife
    Stiletto Switchblade
    Holster Gravity Knife (The kind that withdraws the blade using a holster catch)

Anything better?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/08/2010 9:07pm

Style: Judo super noob

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm pretty sure 80% of those are illegal to carry. Plus its not gonna be pretty when you get into a fight and after when the officer searches you he finds an arsenal of concealed weapons.

But in all seriousness. I would and actually plan to pick up a kubotan. Since it looks nothing like a weapon and looks more like a guady accessory for your keys.

Amazon.com: KUBATON - KEY RING: Sports & Outdoors

Its cheap, and easy to use (just use via a hammerfist.)

As for the rest of your gear, I'll let the more experienced have the final verdict.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    8/08/2010 9:11pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by NoGroinNoKrav View Post
    I'm pretty sure 80% of those are illegal to carry. Plus its not gonna be pretty when you get into a fight and after when the officer searches you he finds an arsenal of concealed weapons.

But in all seriousness. I would and actually plan to pick up a kubotan. Since it looks nothing like a weapon and looks more like a guady accessory for your keys.

Amazon.com: KUBATON - KEY RING: Sports & Outdoors

Its cheap, and easy to use (just use via a hammerfist.)

As for the rest of your gear, I'll let the more experienced have the final verdict.
    LOL i dont want an arsenal, just 1 thing
    and ya....i no....illegal :)
    and i was lookin at those keychains
    does this work the same way?
    Amazon.com: Sharkie: Sports & Outdoors

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/09/2010 5:19am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Bobmomento View Post
    LOL i dont want an arsenal, just 1 thing
    and ya....i no....illegal :)
    and i was lookin at those keychains
    does this work the same way?
    Amazon.com: Sharkie: Sports & Outdoors
    Carrying a sturdy marker or pen as an impact weapon is fine, but you should just pick up a suitable one from your campus bookstore rather than buying one that's marketed as a weapon. A particularly zealous cop or prosecutor could wave Cold Steel's catalog in front of a jury and say "Clearly Bob purchased and carried this item with the intent to use it for violence." So, for plausible deniability, go with a regular writing implement or, even better, a small flashlight.
    Last edited by dougguod; 8/09/2010 5:27am at .

POWERRR!

Posted On:
    8/09/2010 5:33am

Join us... or die
     Style: Boxing.MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    situational awareness.

fists.

running shoes.
    "The hero and the coward both feel the same thing, but the hero projects his fear onto his opponent while the coward runs. 'Fear'. It's the same thing, but it's what you do with it that matters". - Cus D'Amato
    Spoiler:

Actual Photo

Posted On:
    8/09/2010 6:07am

supporting member
     Style: Recovery-Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    What MMAMickey said.

As to situations like the video
    http://vimeo.com/13808511

Don't be a dumbass. Don't get out of your car. Don't stop. Don't be a dumbass.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bodhi108 View Post
    Nuke a unborn gay whale for Christ.
    I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out.
    BILL HICKS,
    1961-1994

Featherweight

Posted On:
    8/09/2010 4:48pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Backfistmonkey View Post
    What MMAMickey said.

As to situations like the video
    http://vimeo.com/13808511

Don't be a dumbass. Don't get out of your car. Don't stop. Don't be a dumbass.
    Vid won't open.
    I do have 2 Maglite's,Mini and a Full size one,You think that would be suitible?

And i no you have to look out for law enforcement but when its a life or death situation, wouldn't you advise having a pocket knife or pair of brass knuckles.

And i just thought of this and its kinda dumb, but what if i weighted a normal sharpie?

BJJ might make you a better ground fighter, but Judo will make you a better dancer.

Posted On:
    8/09/2010 4:52pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Life or death situation? What the **** kind of school are you going to?!?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/09/2010 7:42pm

Style: Sticks & Jits & Fritz

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Bobmomento View Post
    Vid won't open.
    I do have 2 Maglite's,Mini and a Full size one,You think that would be suitible?

And i no you have to look out for law enforcement but when its a life or death situation, wouldn't you advise having a pocket knife or pair of brass knuckles.

And i just thought of this and its kinda dumb, but what if i weighted a normal sharpie?
    My pocket knife is for odd jobs around the house, I wouldn't use it for self defense as a stab wound or cut to the wrong area is lethal.

I have a few Kamagong sticks laying around the house so I don't really think about weapons for home defense, they are just there. I might grab my Hardcase Energizer in my left hand and a stick in my right.

That's for home defense though, for highschool I'd recomend a high powered crossbow. Now that your 18 you can buy all sorts of deadly so why not.

You wont need to add weight to a sharpie, a good hammerfist is all the weight you need.

Posted On:
    8/09/2010 8:49pm

Style: kenpo, Wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Saw the video mentioned by OP: feet >> bat

Driving away would have been even better. OP you already have black belt in kempo, round out your skills with some grappling and take advantage of college to stay in great shape (cardio and strength training). Ignore gimmicks and legal issues. Concealed carry is a different issue that I can't advise on an don't even know if it legal at 18. When I was in college, I kept a flashlight handy for walking around at night. (Flashlights are useful at night even if goblins don't attack you.) and walked with friends. Friends are also great to have, you can study with them and hang out with them. Good times!
Page 1 of 3 1 23 LastLast