Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/27/2010 9:35pm

Style: Close Quarters Combat

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Yes, I blame you

Since nobody has decided to ask any other questions, I would ask that for the ones that rated the school without ever training with us or attending the free class, to please remove their rating.

For those that live in the Phoenix area I welcome you to come by and attend the first free class or come in and chat about what we do and the principles behind RDT. 7750 E Redfiled Rd, Scottsdale, AZ 85260.

You will not be disappointed.

Administrator

Posted On:
    2/27/2010 11:55pm

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by sumito View Post
    Since nobody has decided to ask any other questions, I would ask that for the ones that rated the school without ever training with us or attending the free class, to please remove their rating.
    What rating? There is no rating.

For those that live in the Phoenix area I welcome you to come by and attend the first free class or come in and chat about what we do and the principles behind RDT. 7750 E Redfiled Rd, Scottsdale, AZ 85260.

You will not be disappointed.
    Why bump this thread continuously?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/28/2010 7:48pm

Style: Submission Grappling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I think that he's referring to the poll at the top of the page asking whether or not RDT is a bullshit school or not. I don't think that there is any way to take your vote back once you've made it.

As far as bumping the thread, you would think that the RDT supporters (especially Troy) would want it to just go away.

Administrator

Posted On:
    2/28/2010 7:59pm

staff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Goldust View Post
    I think that he's referring to the poll at the top of the page asking whether or not RDT is a bullshit school or not. I don't think that there is any way to take your vote back once you've made it.
    That is a poll. They like to play semantics so, they need to get their question correct.

Anyway, where is the refutation of the points made in the thread? Where is the proof of all of the Streetfights? Where are the facts that negate the contradictory statements?

None?

Okay then the poll should stay.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/17/2010 12:00pm

Style: BJJ, Libre, Street Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I just finished watching their Red Man video and all I saw was a bunch of individuals punch a guy in a redman suit who was not punching back. I think anyone can strike someone that does not strike back.

I also hate when I hear people say I will gouge your eyes out or grab your nuts. I have had several guys visit my academy to try it out. When they were being dominated they tend to go for the nuts or eyes. I even had one guy that applied an eagle claw to my throat....he paid for it.....he went to sleep real fast.

As far as poking people's eyes out or ripping ears off (IF possible) is called mayhem. You have to have justification to do so in a fight. I don't think a one on one fight is justifiable unless the other guy is armed.

The claim that "I rather be judged by 12 then carried by 6" is a statement that is made by people that have no idea what jail or prison is about.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/04/2010 7:10pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hi Team Python,

Thanks for taking the time to watch the video and post your comments. As with anything, watching a 2 minute promo video without any context often leads to an erroneous assumptions. Take the recent USDA lady that was fired. If all you watched was the blurb that Fox put up without watching the whole thing you would have thought she was a racist pig. However, as the details came out, everyone's opinion changed.

What you don't see is the other 6 hours of the Fear Management seminar that goes behind what you see on Youtube. There is a distinct process of unlocking people from their natural apprehension of defending themselves.

Depending on the nature of the class, we have more or less aggression to help people unlock their ability to attack or defend as required by the situation. The point to the exercise is to allow people to do a number of things, but most importantly:

1. Practice in the adrenal state
    2. Practice against an unwilling opponent
    3. Practice in real time

As for the issue of the "Ferocious Five", again, taken out of context, it is easy to make comments on what one would do or not do. Everything we train is in the context of real self defense/life or death. People will do what they routinely train. If you train to tap out under pressure, you will tap on the street.

We do not rely on the "FF" skills as an out for a street fight gone wrong or as a primary attack set, but for when you are attacked and your life is at stake and it is on the ground. We address normal wrestling and grappling scenarios to give people a strong foundation of how to defend the MMA crowd. However, the old adage, don't box a boxer or grapple a grappler comes to mind. The last thing I want to do is use the same rules or techniques when faced with a high level BJJ guy. That doesn't make any sense to anyone. However, what happens when you are grabbed and this guy is intent on smashing your skull in? Are you really going to go to the ground in Phoenix in the summer with a pair of short on? Doubt it. Or worse yet, what happens when the "normal" street fight (whatever that is) and the guys friends jump in and what was going to be a one on one turns into a monkey stomp?

My experience is that a BJJ sport based mentality leads to wrong thinking. The individual skills have their place and the physical conditioning is awesome. However the mindset is flawed. Taping out in class = death on the street.

If you ever make it to Phoenix, come by and hang out. I would love to explore this further with you.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/04/2010 7:15pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I won't speak for Troy, but the reality is we aren't going to bury our heads and pretend this isn't out there. We aren't afraid of meeting this head on. We don't have anything to hide.

What I know is that nobody that is making any comments is or has been an actual student or even been to the school, so far as we can tell. We welcome anyone to come in, take a few classes and then come back to bullshido and comment.

And, we don't mean just come in and fight us just to prove how tough one person is or isn't. We mean, come in with an open mind, train, ask questions, hang out, and then comment. However, if someone wants to just bang, we will put on the gloves and put it to the test.

Posted On:
    8/04/2010 8:50pm

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by sumito View Post
    I won't speak for Troy, but the reality is we aren't going to bury our heads and pretend this isn't out there. We aren't afraid of meeting this head on. We don't have anything to hide.
    The reality is the only reason you're here is because this comes up very high in search engines searching for Troy's school. And the perception is its hurting his business.

The reality is that Troy has never hidden anything from the start of this thread. And that what is depicted is what is there. Despite attempts to discredit it. He made the comments that are there in this thread. He made challenges. He represented himself. His actions represents how he is.

Now he has someone else doing it.

There are plenty of places to "bang" in the Phoenix area. If you guys want to "bang", put it to the test, go sign up for RITC. They take amateur fighters. They're on Indian reservations mostly for sanctioning purposes. They're all legal.

There are plenty of great places to train in Phoenix. Some of them mentioned on this thread, like Megatons, Lion's Den. There are others like ACS.

The reality is Reality Defense just isn't very relevant. Sorry. People don't have a high interest level in learning how to eye gouge, chew on ears, and fishhook people from highly strung individuals.

Now if you guys bills are getting too high for your student level to handle, this is a great place for people to recommend somewhere for you to go train.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/05/2010 10:40am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

RDT Clarification

Quote Originally Posted by chingythingy View Post
    Now he has someone else doing it.
    Troy, until very recently, had no idea I was even responding, thinking this thing died a year ago. However, as a student, I wanted to make sure a different perspective was being given, other than from people who live in a different state and who have never even been to the school, weighing in from their keyboard.

Give me some credit, as a 39 year old working professional. I have been courteous and respectful of other peoples views, while trying to clarify comments made from people that have never trained with us. I have a strong martial arts background in Ted Wong JKD (under George Lee), Arnis (Sifu/AMA Guro Billy Bryant) and Gracie JJ (Rorion/Royce/Helio) with Rick Leonard (Former Army Ranger), who was the defensive tactics instructor for the FBI at Quantico. He would go to the Torrence academy for two weeks every year for like 8 years straight, along with hosting seminars in the DC metro area. All of my comments come from an outside view rather than a typical single school student that is simply parroting back tinted rhetoric without any other experience.

Troy never asked his students to "log onto" this forum to defend him or our method of training, but I guess it is time to flood this thread with people that actually have first hand knowledge of what we do, most of who, come from prior MA.

If you guys want to "bang", put it to the test, go sign up for RITC. They take amateur fighters. They're on Indian reservations mostly for sanctioning purposes. They're all legal.
    Again, in context...When someone calls you out, you respond. When people talk smack about your school that have never even been in the state, you respond. Troy put it out there, that for those that wanted to come in and train, they were welcome to do so and for those that just wanted to fight, we could accommodate that as well. However, we added the caveat that this is a street fight, not a Vale Tudo/MMA rules fight, and nobody posted.

As far as RITC goes, again, rules based fighting has limited value in the development of a self defense oriented fighter. Sure, you get to test your Punching/Kicking/Wrestling/Grappling skills but not the rest of the skills which are open to you in a survival scenario like a home invasion scenario. Also, I am in training to compete in the next Dog Brothers "Gathering of the Pack", which will be in March/April, not the one coming up in Sept.

There are plenty of great places to train in Phoenix. Some of them mentioned on this thread, like Megatons, Lion's Den. There are others like ACS.
    As I have said multiple times, those schools are all excellent MMA/Sport schools. I have nothing but respect for their teachers and students. However, they do not address life or death scenarios or tactical scenarios like home invasion, office attack, etc in their training, which is what I take exception to. A new student that has seen a few UFC events and thinks, "You know, I want to learn to protect myself and my family from a thug on the street, I should check out an MMA/BJJ school.", will find themselves in a world of hurt where the thug doesn't play by the same rules. Although those skills are grounded in self defense, about a 100 years ago, they are not taught in that way anymore. They are primarily focused on one on one MMA style scenarios. They don't address the mental state of a crack/meth head or serial criminal with a knife, gun, stick, etc bent on hurting you, or worse. The mental state and skill set needed to respond is drastically different than those taught in a sport based MMA school.

The reality is Reality Defense just isn't very relevant. Sorry. People don't have a high interest level in learning how to eye gouge, chew on ears, and fishhook people from highly strung individuals.
    If by "highly strung individuals" you are referring to people at RDT or Troy sepcificaly, you couldn't be further off base. All of the guys and women that train at RDT are down to earth people that have the same purpose, which is "survival at all costs".

As far as relevancy, this goes back to my comment about taking something out of context. We classify martial arts in three ways: exhibition, sport and self defense/survival. The skills needed to execute in each of these categories is different. However, each one generally has three skill types: primary, secondary and tertiary, along with tactical skills, which are used in specific scenarios (similar to the RDT Ferocious Five).

As we look at attack and defensive skills in RDT, the typical ones are trained: Lead, Cross, Hook, etc. along with other skills which have limited application but are important given common tactical scenarios are also trained. We add the knife, stick, gun in higher classes to expose people to how to defend/address these game changing scenarios.

At RDT we often talk about two topics: pre-existing response pattern and common delivery pattern. These topics addresses the psychology of how humans react under pressure. Realizing that people respond under pressure with the skills they train most often. The goal is to enable them to have a set of tools that can be delivered as consistently and efficiently under stress as possible. By having structured "technique" drills, free form technique drills and open sparring sessions, the students are able to hone their skills.

We often have people come in that have solid MMA/BJJ skills in weekend seminars either monthly and at least quarterly so students are exposed and able to drill defensive skills against these things as well as drilling these things twice a week in our open sparring sessions.

Lastly, it sounds like you are in the Phoenix area. Feel free to come in and train with us for a few sessions.

Administrator

Posted On:
    8/05/2010 11:03am

staff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Then why do you keep saying "we" if you did this on your own?

Culled;
    Reality Defense in Phoenix, AZ a McDojo? - No BS MMA and Martial Arts

yes, the last relevant post was 8/2009. You bumped with nothing informative 2/2010.

Troy, until very recently, had no idea I was even responding, thinking this thing died a year ago.
    You posted in February that led someone to notice the thread in March. as we are in August, it would have been dead a year ago as your response reignited interests again.

So, it was dead a year ago until you posted.
    Last edited by It is Fake; 8/05/2010 11:09am at .
Page 1 of 4 1 234 LastLast